Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Men vs women cp growers?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wickedthistle @ July 07 2005,7:15)]I also think that there are plenty of women on the forums, but they lurk more than post. Some of the topics are more male-oriented (no offense to anyone) so I simply don't bother responding. For instance, I happen to be a true-blue video gamer, but would rather discuss that on a video game forum instead of this one. Or, if I see topics about why guys should or shouldn't leave the toilet seat up, I'd rather duke it out in person [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Put yer dukes up, girl! Dem's fightin' woids!

Toilet seat topic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooh, not likely that you're going to fly all the way over here to duke it out. Tell ya what, first one to have a sandersonii 'blue' flower wins the fight! LOL
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ July 07 2005,2:59)].... plus some older guys also.
    I'm not old! My packaging has just been slightly rumpled by years of use!
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my wickedthistle... tee he...low blow
    Quote[/b] ]Tell ya what, first one to have a sandersonii 'blue' flower wins the fight! LOL
    Anxiously awaiting a comeback from the opposition.

Hey cockatielmother... I'm a wimpy girl and I love CPs. I must admit that I recently went exploring in and around a quaking bog/small lake/coniferous woodland and I most certainly won't be doing that again any time soon. I'll leave exploration to those more qualified (and more agile) than me. I was beyond freaked out when my leg got sucked down to above my knee and I lost a sandal and then the tree I grabbed on to in desperation leaned under my weight. What a horrible feeling that I have no desire to experience again. I was just mentioning this to Brooks and he knew exactly what I was describing but he didn't chastize or condemn me in favor of suggesting I not go out alone next time. Bottom line, I don't care how many S. purpurea are back there any longer as I can live vicariously through photos of people who visit these types of areas and share. Nope, quaking bogs are not for this CP loving wimp unless there is a boardwalk. Think I better stick to growing CPs, germinating seed, and viewing photos of these ecosystems taken by others.

Yes, there does exist a disproportionately high number of males in this hobby/obsession however I've not seen any gender cliques manifested since joining. If anything, I feel as comfortable here as I do going out to breakfast and yakking with my girlfriends once a week. Seems to me as if all the members here are gender blind and I really like that. Perhaps stereotyping is at the root of the imbalance. Maybe some women feel this is one big male bonding session. Another thought, I am an unapologetic carnivore and find absolutely nothing unnatural about plants eating “meat” given the nutrient deficient environments in which they evolved however I do have a few female friends who raised their eyebrows when I showed them my babies as if girls aren't supposed to want to grow plants like that. Who knows, maybe plants that eat “meat” make some women uncomfortable. Their loss.

Personally, I love flora and fauna that is indigenous to the United States and that would include many temperate CPs so learning how to care for them was a natural progression. I also love volunteering with kids and have found that they really get excited about flora that eats fauna as opposed to vice versa. Hand a child a pot of daisies and all the boys are immediately turned off. Hand them a sundew to take home and care for and by gosh by golly you’ve got the attention of both the boys and girls. What a wonderful way to turn kids on to one facet of the sciences while exposing them to conservation. Think about it, if you share your love for carnivorous plants as well as your love for the natural communities in which they occur, you are priming children to be receptive to the very complex environmental issues they will confront as they mature. I've found that when I'm at work, I can stop in and peek at what's going on over here when there is a lull in activity which is a better stress breaker than hanging out at the water fountain exchanging pleasantries. I've also found that when I'm at home I can multitask by overseeing homework at the kitchen table as well as scrubbing a toilet here and there while doing a load of laundry while fiddling with my CPs and popping in at Terra. When I take the kids to swimming lessons and soccer practices... I can while away the hours waiting for them at Terra on line from a wireless laptop. Sure beats hanging out with Moms whining about their husbands/kids and swapping coupons. I may be a wimp but I'm not a fru fru female and I totally enjoy this hobby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I'm sure those girls eat meat(unless they're vegetarian)and they're not going ewww everytime they take a bite out of that cow or pig.~Niki~
    Yeah but they're in denial. They don't connect the dots and think they are eating a bird that was raised in a tiny cage in bad conditions and then killed and processed. They just see food, nothing else.
    Quote[/b] ]I think a lot has to do with the boys being unconsciously steered toward science things as well as what would be considered "gross".
    that's me! I'm a science freak and I especially like things like spiders, bats, snakes, etc. Things others find creepy/gross/scary/etc.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (wickedthistle @ July 07 2005,7:53)]Ooooh, not likely that you're going to fly all the way over here to duke it out. Tell ya what, first one to have a sandersonii 'blue' flower wins the fight! LOL
    Oooh, low blow!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My poor mother had to endure snakes in the laundry, horned toads in her lingerie drawer (she followed the line of ants into the drawer to find them---oops!) I had forgotten about, black widows in jars all over my room, scorpions, rattlesnakes, tarantulas, heck, just name it, I probably had one! Through it all, she never joined into my enthusiasm for sciences, but encouraged me in the field all my life. She may not be here herself, but she is through me. God bless her!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ July 07 2005,4:52)]No offense,but I think those girls are kinda wimpy then.I don't think there's anything gross about it at all. I'm sure those girls eat meat(unless they're vegetarian)and they're not going ewww everytime they take a bite out of that cow or pig.~Niki~ [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Heck yeah. We're tough.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast