What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Men vs women cp growers?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm sure those girls eat meat(unless they're vegetarian)and they're not going ewww everytime they take a bite out of that cow or pig.~Niki~
Yeah but they're in denial. They don't connect the dots and think they are eating a bird that was raised in a tiny cage in bad conditions and then killed and processed. They just see food, nothing else.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think a lot has to do with the boys being unconsciously steered toward science things as well as what would be considered "gross".
that's me! I'm a science freak and I especially like things like spiders, bats, snakes, etc. Things others find creepy/gross/scary/etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wickedthistle @ July 07 2005,7:53)]Ooooh, not likely that you're going to fly all the way over here to duke it out. Tell ya what, first one to have a sandersonii 'blue' flower wins the fight! LOL
Oooh, low blow!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

My poor mother had to endure snakes in the laundry, horned toads in her lingerie drawer (she followed the line of ants into the drawer to find them---oops!) I had forgotten about, black widows in jars all over my room, scorpions, rattlesnakes, tarantulas, heck, just name it, I probably had one! Through it all, she never joined into my enthusiasm for sciences, but encouraged me in the field all my life. She may not be here herself, but she is through me. God bless her!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ July 07 2005,4:52)]No offense,but I think those girls are kinda wimpy then.I don't think there's anything gross about it at all. I'm sure those girls eat meat(unless they're vegetarian)and they're not going ewww everytime they take a bite out of that cow or pig.~Niki~
smile.gif
Heck yeah. We're tough.

We ARE tough.Go girls!Ok that sounded lame.~Niki~

Interesting discussion.

I am a "Farm girl" by birth. If it was gross, dirty or disgusting, I had it on my hands, clothes, in my hair and even occasionally on my face (older brothres are mean!)

I can muck out a stable, milk a cow (I still maintain milk consumption would decress significantly if more people actually knew what got knocked, dropped accidently or kicked by the cow into their milk before it was pastureized), clean and pluck a chicken without batting an eyelash. I am well aware that my beef, pork and poultry were once alive and kicking, I've helped skin, butcher and cure more than my share, and even now I can still toss a full bale of hay up to the loft from a barn floor.

I can do all these things, but I choose not too. I would rather be getting a manicure or shopping with my daughter than snagging a nail on baling twine. Nature is a wonderful thing, and I appreciate it very much... outside where it belongs.. rather than being tracked into my house, ground into my clothes, or picked out of my hair. It's not that I find dirt and bugs disgusting, I would just preffer that they stay in their place and I will stay in mine, the less we interact the better off we all are. There is nothing in the world more relaxing than an early morning mist drifting through the forest, while a deer grazes beside the river that snakes through the trees and the suns first light glistens off a dew covered spider web... from the other side of a bay window while I enjoy my morning coffee.

Does this make me a "girly-girl"? You bet! And I am not afraid to admit it. On the other hand, I am not afraid to get dirty when neccessary.

So what drew me to CP's? I really have no idea. That they aren't your average houseplants maybe.. or it could be that they are strikingly beautiful in their own right. But I am certainly not going to be put off by the fact that they eat things that personally give me the creeps. Such is life.

Someone way back on the first page (can't remember who) mentioned that women with children tend to do "kid" stuff, while men with children tend to leave that to their S.O. and get a hobby. This is for the most part true and to be totally honest, most women encourage the men in their life to presue their hobbies to the fullest extent.

Maybe we are just inherantly more supportive and nurtureing and get a sense of satisfaction out of knowing that we are encouraging the people we love to do what makes them happy... or maybe, as my mother told me years ago "It keeps him busy and out of my hair so I can do what I want!"

Experience tells me it's some of both. We do get a sense of satisfation from knowing our family is comfortable, happy and enjoying life, and we will do our best to help ensure that happens, yet at the same time... My mother wasn't wrong!
smile_n_32.gif

We love the men in our life, really we do! We are glad they are there and we enjoy our time with them... but really there is only so much "guy stuff" the average woman can deal with! I'm not talking about differing interests and tastes either. Men are men and women are women (for the most part) as much as we enjoy eachothers company, we need time with out eachother just as much. So we encourage them in their hobbies, and spend time with the kids, and sometimes.. that magical moment happens, where the men are busy with their hobbies, and the kids are playing or busy with their own hobbies... It's wonderful! And makes the time we spend with our men and children that much more special as well.

So Kate, does that mean that someone like our favourite 14 year old, who seems to have no inclination to display any "traditionally" or stereotypical feminine charactersitics - might do so, down the road?

Don't give up hope, Jim... As a 14-year old I was totally a tomboy, and hated anything frilly or girly.
smile_n_32.gif
I still partake of several male-dominated hobbies not because of my husband, but because I found them interesting in their own right (how I met my husband).

Consider yourself blessed! Your girl isn't blinded by gender stereotype and can do what makes her happy regardless of what others consider her interests to be!

As for hobbies, I don't think I delve as deeply into any one hobby as the men I know, but I have a broader base of hobbies and can assure myself I never get bored. My husband has ONE hobby he partakes in to near-obsession. But it's a hobby I share and support him in, so if he's happy, I'm happy!

Right-o! Whatever hobby that makes you happy is just fine. I've generally preferred male-dominated hobbies (vid games, roller hockey, roleplaying...) and sometimes you get cool guys that think it's extra special that you're there, and then there are the jerks. Same as anywhere else, it just so happens that there are more guys to either band with you or band against you. The outcome usually depends on your attitude, humor, and some respect.

There are always differences, and they don't necessarily fall along gender lines. I think rats are the cutest animals out there along with squirrels and puppies and ducklings. Aren't rats supposed to be a "guy" pet? Whatever!

well.. i dont like rats because they remind me of an opossum... and i don't like opossums because they have that naked tail...

if they were furry no problem lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ July 08 2005,6:00)]So Kate, does that mean that someone like our favourite 14 year old, who seems to have no inclination to display any "traditionally" or stereotypical feminine charactersitics - might do so, down the road?
<grin> give her time! She'll find "girl things" she enjoys eventually. While I don't see her ever becoming a Jude Cleaver (Ugh! I couldn't either!) She'll realize sometimes it's good to be a girl!

And when she does, we'll have to ask her what his name is
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wickedthistle @ July 08 2005,12:42)]I think rats are the cutest animals out there along with squirrels and puppies and ducklings. Aren't rats supposed to be a "guy" pet? Whatever!
Scaringly, the only ones on the forums that I know have rats are the gals. LOL! I know of two gals that have snakes and one on CPUK that has pet tarantulas. I'm sure there are some guys with these (OZZY), but I just can't think of who does.

I've only known two people that had rats, and they were both girls too.

I always liked growing plants, but was too impatient to grow them. I started growing cp's because they eat and move, so there isn't as much sitting and waiting.

Laura what is wrong with you. I mean as long as no snakes or spiders wre around when your leg got sucked into the muck you don't have to worry. Although I would recommend rubber knee-high boots next time you go out not sandels.

I am most certainly not afraid of snakes or spiders. I have a pet rat named "Roxie" and I find rats in general to be incredibly intelligent and affectionate little creatures so I'm not afraid of those either.  Bogs that suck body parts down... those I'm afraid of. I have a healthy respect for quaking bogs however if I had been wearing hip-hi boots, I might have been able to free my leg much easier. A knee-hi boot would have been history just like the flip flop as I sunk down well above the knee. Sorry, I will never go back by the area around that lake that has the CPs again and I own the property to include the lake. I don't think my panic attack stopped until I was out of there and sitting in my kitchen for an hour.  

I snapped a few photos when I was back there. Here's a photo of the left side of the lake-

Real picture perfect isn't it? Notice the trees seem to be all leaning ever so slightly to the right- that's probably because the wind was blowing from the west.  That's how unstable the ground is. Sheesh, the trees probably blow back over to the left when the wind comes out of the east. I bet a big person could physically pull a medium sized tree over the peat is so mushy. Seems as if the only thing holding anything together is the layer of vegetation and you better stick to clumps when you are back there or you'll end up in trouble.

Here's a photo of me, one of the boys, and 80lb Princess Polly the Python. I weigh almost 120lbs and Polly is incredibly easy to hold and she'll even stabilize herself by wrapping herself around your thigh.  Polly is no where near as loving as Roxie unless... she is cold. Then she wants to be close, very close. Polly was a rescue from some ding dong who bought her when she was cute and little. Personally, I don't think snakes are cute like a rat or a cat but that's just me.

I'm your typical farm girl as well, but have yet to choose the girlier side of things, I went to school and graduated from horticulture, so I root atound in the dirt all day and get paid for it! I'm the only one at my work who has a chainsaw licence, not to mention, skid steerer, front end loader, landscape pesticides exterminators license just to name a few. Oh and my work is a cemetery, I plant the flowers and trees. I have been driving tractors since I was 6, we blocked the peddles so I could reach them. I would have to say that I find more women are interested in my plants then men. I plan to expose them to a larger crowd this year at the county fair, ought to be interesting!

Sib

Since CP's are the most manly of plants, and since most men never lift a finger around the house...they have more time to spend with the most manly of plants while their wives/girlfriends are cleaning the house, changing cat pans, dusting, taking out the garbage, doing laundry, ironing, cooking, etc., etc., etc.  
smile_m_32.gif

I think that men and women(or guys and grills) are just or almost as likely to have "pasttimes" and hobbies but men are far more likely to try to "connect" and then get more involved. I'm sure we all know many girls/wormen who grow plants(often lots of them too!), who play sports, who keep an aquarium, who sew, who play instruments, who hike, etc. etc. etc.

But I think that they are less likely than men to use online means or similar to connect with others in their hobbies. They may talk to friends but don't often get into, say, "societies" or organizations involving the hobby etc.

~These the observations of a creature in the age group which many say don't know what living is like yet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ July 07 2005,2:56)]The only things I've seen online with higher concentrations of women users are ... believe it or not, Star Trek games
I never would have guessed that.

Back