Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Men vs women cp growers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi:

I can't help but notice that it seems like it is all men here except for a very few women. Are carnivorous plantsl more appealing to men than women for some odd reason?

I always prefer unusual plants and enjoy experimenting with different varieties. I'd love to hear from some women who love these plants!

Men: Don't get a complex! I'm just really curious about this apparent difference.
    Diana Pederson
    Michigan
    obsessivegardening.com
    christianreviewer.com
    livingwithcockatiels.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to general forum.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regular plants just seem kind of boring compared to the ones that move and eat bugs and stuff like that. I've always liked growing plants though, I just kept getting bored with the usual houseplant.

~Kyle~
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience just leads me to believe that men are more likely to participate in forums and typically are more obsessive when it comes to topics. So you just have a disproportional amount of men posting compared to women.

I'm sure PFT could simply just look at their buying records and find out whether men or women are purchasing more plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe my perception is wrong, but it seems like, with the exception of crafts that are more traditionally female-oriented (e.g. -- quilting), that all the serious hobbiests I know are male.

Amateur astronomy -- almost exclusively male. The few women are mostly SOs of the men.

Homebrewing -- almost exclusively men. Most women are there to drink. I know of one, maybe two, women who actually brew on a regular basis. (and at least one is a lesbian, with a more typically male personality)

Carnivorous plants/orchids -- again, among the very serious, heavily dominated by men.

Beer-making could be argued to be a "guy" thing, but astronomy and (especially) CPs and orchids, I see absolutely no reason that hobby should be dominated by men; there's nothing in it to me that screams "it's a guy thing".

Most women I know are married, with kids. Very few of them have serious hobbies. They spend their evening and weekend hours doing kid stuff.

The men I know who are married with kids, rather than doing "kid stuff" occupy themselves with their hobby, and try to get the children interested in what they do.

Am I off base on this, or does it sound about right?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess because if a man has to grow plants, cp's are the most manly choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott i think you may be right, men just go all out on projects/hobbies more often then women.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the disparity here has a lot to do with the proportion of men that spend their recreational time online vs. women. Far more of my female friends are interested in my plant collection than my male friends, whether I mention CPs or not - even the horticulture majors. I think there is a pretty large amount of women growing CPs; if this were a forum for videogames, cars, or computer programming I think we'd see far less women than we do, even though those are fields with plenty of women in them (although probably not 50/50.) Many of the internet communities I frequent have been almost exclusively male - even those that don't revolve around "guy things." The only things I've seen online with higher concentrations of women users are general gardening resources, parenting forums, and, believe it or not, Star Trek games (please don't make me explain my shameful affair with Trek MU*s.) I think TF has a fairly even distribution by those standards.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast