Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrorist attack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too many here were being inflammatory. In my opinion, and that is my opinion. Most people here generally think out their positions on issues really well, i.e., I don't see much knee-jerking here.

I resent being called a sheep because I may or may not belong to a political party. I'm a liberal, and arrived at this position by much thought and research. BUT...I am to the right of Pat Buchanan on some things. Who is going to serve my personal interests best? That's the question.

Liberals are not always democrats, and republicans are not always conservatives. There are many shades of gray out there. For instance, I know a few people (from Terraforums)that are politically conservative AND hard core environmentalist. If you would believe the hype, this position would be impossible to hold within yourself.

I'm having a barbie tomorrow..you're all invited, of course.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Blind Men and the Elephant

It was six men of Indostan
    To learning much inclined
    Who went to see the elephant
    (Though all of them were blind),
    That each by observation
    Might satisfy his mind.

The First approached the elephant,
    And, happening to fall
    Against his broad and sturdy side,
    At once began to bawl:
    "God bless me! but the elephant
    Is nothing but a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
    Cried: "Ho! What have we here
    So very round and smooth and sharp!
    To me 'tis mighty clear
    This wonder of an elephant
    Is very like a spear!"

The Third approached the animal,
    And, happening to take
    The squirming trunk within his hands,
    Thus boldly up and spake:
    "I see," quoth he, "the elephant
    Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out his eager hand,
    And felt about the knee:
    "What most this wondrous beast is like
    Is mighty plain," quoth he;
    "'Tis clear enough the elephant
    Is very like a tree."

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
    Said: "E'en the blindest man
    Can tell what this resembles most;
    Deny the fact who can,
    This marvel of an elephant
    Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun
    About the beast to grope,
    Than, seizing on the swinging tail
    That fell within his scope,
    "I see," quoth he, "the elephant
    Is very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostan
    Disputed loud and long,
    Each in his own opinion
    Exceeding stiff and strong,
    Though each was partly in the right,
    And all were in the wrong!

So, oft in theologic wars
    The disputants, I ween,
    Rail on in utter ignorance
    Of what each other mean,
    And prate about an elephant
    Not one of them has seen!

John Godfrey Saxe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my major problem with the party system is that major elections are becoming all the same. you arent electing the best person for the job. your electing the lesser of two evils. in the last election i was not really pro Bush, i was just EXTREAMLY anti Kerry. because of our strong two party system we are tearing this country apart and some ppl who would actually do good by this country are not getting a chance to rise to power so to speak cause you have to play party politics to get anywhere. that and the fact most sane ppl do not want their life placed under the microscope. which is what happens during elections.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We might have had more choice if the corporate media hadn't gone after Dean before people even had a chance to vote in primaries. The Center for Media and Public Affairs tracked major network news broadcasts before the Iowa caucuses and found only 2% of the media coverage of Kerry and John Edwards wasn't positive, while 42% of the Dean coverage wasn't. Now the big media is talking up Hillary Clinton for 2008, even getting Newt Gingrich to chime in with praise.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say blame the people. The media will only show what gets ratings, and people control ratigs. I don't think the media are out there to do anything but get money, and if focusing on certain things will earn money, then they'll do it. That's the purpose of having a job.
    And same thing for the two party system. People don't want to be all that well informed. They want simple things. A or B, not A, B, C, D, or E. If the media showed all parties, nobody would watch the debates (frankly, including me.... well, even if i could vote :P)
    I don't think having more than two or three parties would work all that well. Even at the beginnings of the nation it somewhat like it was today.
    I think yeah, ideally people shouldn't be sheeps, there should be more parties, blah blah, but it's just like communism, in "theory" it's all wonderful, but in reality it doesn't really work.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have more than 3 parties...

but yeah i don't even watch the "news" anymore. i get my news from FSTV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we might as well only have two. Heck, I know there are democrats, republicans, the green party... and there's a liberal party too right? communist and nazi party? there are dozens of them out there... but I just know what two stand for, and I don't hear about the other parties like... ever.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree Bruce, i would have loved to see Dean get farther. he seemed a bit more "real" than the other two. also the major media is a major part of the problem. here is an interesting fact about the media. how often do you see them bashing democrats? not often. it takes a major screw up by a democrat for the major media to pick up on it generally. however the slightest thing goes wrong with a republican and they hop on it like starving wolves. whats up with that? it drives me nuts. they try and claim to be unbiased but there actions prove other wise. it really bugs me that they pick and support one candidate. to me that defeates their purpose. the major media in general has a major beef with republicans and i cant for the life of me figure out why. as far as interesting news stories the emocrats come up with some equally interesting and disturbing stories, however they are generally skirted. i would rather see more balanced coverage in the news than anything but thats never going to happen.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/