Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrorist attack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I would like to see a survey done, that someone went around and counted all of the terrorists.
    ok, maybe I worded it wrong. I meant terrorist acts.
    washington post
    Quote[/b] ]Yet, a careful review of the report and underlying data supports the opposite conclusion: The number of significant terrorist acts increased from 124 in 2001 to 169 in 2003 -- 36 percent -- even using the State Department's official standards. The data that the report highlights are ill-defined and subject to manipulation -- and give disproportionate weight to the least important terrorist acts. The only verifiable information in the annual reports indicates that the number of terrorist events has risen each year since 2001, and in 2003 reached its highest level in more than 20 years.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004May16.html
    another one- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn....23.html
    Quote[/b] ]WASHINGTON - Significant acts of terror worldwide reached a 21-year high in 2003, the State Department announced as it corrected a mistaken report that had been cited to boost President George W. Bush's war on terror.

Incidents of terrorism increased slightly during the year, and the number of people wounded rose dramatically, the department said in the revised report issued Tuesday.
    http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/1081.html
    Quote[/b] ]The number of people killed in terrorist attacks worldwide still declined in 2003 when compared with 2002, when 725 people were killed. But the decline was much less steep than originally reported, and the number of "significant attacks" -- those involving large numbers of casualties or property damage -- increased from 138 in 2002 to 175 in 2003, a 21-year-high.
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ror/index.html
    Quote[/b] ]You might as well throw a RPG on your shoulder and shoot down a U.S. helicopter.
    *rolls eyes*
    Quote[/b] ]If John Kerry was now president, and if we had never liberated Iraq, these attacks would still be happening..
    nobody's talking about john kerry.
    Quote[/b] ]they dont care that you support them
    they dont care that you and other Americans are actively supporting them and are working hard to weaken the USA,
    *rolls eyes again*
    Quote[/b] ]if we had done nothing after 9/11, the terriorists would be stronger because of it..
    they're stronger now.... but nobody said anything about not doing anything.
    Quote[/b] ]personally, I want us to live, and them to die...its really that simple.
    oh yeah, iraq was a threat to us.
    Quote[/b] ]because they want to destroy us!!
    and why do they want to destroy us?
    Quote[/b] ]so, therefore, using your logic,
    MY logic? no, you don't even understand what I said.
    Quote[/b] ]and you dont see a problem with that
    yes. YOUR logic is terrible.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, A.W., you just go ahead and keep on talking yourself into that..
    I have already learned that it is pointless to argue with you, you are too far gone..
    the best logic and thoughtfull response we can get from you is "roll eyes"..
    ok then. I guess you showed me!
    rolling your eyes really puts my points in their place!

Quote[/b] ]
    Quote[/b] ]
    If John Kerry was now president, and if we had never liberated Iraq, these attacks would still be happening..

nobody's talking about john kerry.
    no one wa s talking about Iraq either, until it was brought into this conversation..which had nothing to do with Iraq..
    for no reason except to bash Bush, which you and your kind MUST always do at every possible opportunity, if its relevant or not..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't know who made us the worlds cop, but it isn't our business, Afghanistan or Iraq. As long as they were killing each other and not us, and if we could mind our own business, this wouldn't be happening at all. They want to live in the stone age, then let'em go back to the stone age, and give us alternative energy so their oil is worthless.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I promise I will not post my feelings on some of the comments made in this discussion....I promise.
    Ahhh, what the heck.
    Is there such a thing as a people specific thermonuclear device?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oi, this is a toughy. Everyone has truth in their statements, and that is the problem.

Both Scotty and TAW have valid points, even if those points may not exactly address one another.

At any rate, I don't know who started it, us or them, there have always been nut-jobs on both sides.

But now that it's been started, let's stop trying to assign blame, and figure out how to fix it. There's a couple of solutions:
    1) destroy the problem utterly - downside is the rest of the world might not like us very much.
    2) continue on our current course of action, which though it has right NOW caused more attacks (can't expect them to sit back and let us get 'em quietly), eventually we'll get enough that the attacks will dwindle away.
    3) attack the underlying cause of terrorism itself - this can only be done with education
    4) comine 2 & 3. This is the only viable solution in my book. You have to take out what trash there is, but also prevent more trash from getting created so you don't have to keep running in circles.

And, for goodness sake, Bug is absolutely right. Let's stop being so darn dependant on their oil. Will allow us much more leverage.

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny picture

all the democrats look at that.

all the republicans look at this.

funny picture

see? if everyone looks at their own picture we all have fun and no one gets hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the disconnect here is understanding the role of the Iraq invasion in the number and virulence of "terrorists." The entire Islamic world views the US with great suspicion and hostility, all the more so after we invaded a sovereign country that posed us no harm. It confirmed their fears about us, and has been a rallying point in recruiting new radicals and inflaming hatred of the US.

It's very easy to sit here in our comfortable cities with our fancy computers and totally dehumanize people who would do these things. But just consider that we've killed thousands of Iraqi civilians in our war of choice. Thousands. And yet we pass that off as trivial while we profess outrage that they've struck back and killed 50 Londoners. True, there is a difference between collateral damage and specifically targeting civilians, but that difference doesn't seem too important when it's your cousin's whole family was killed by an American cluster bomb when their only crime was living in Fallujah.

One cannot look at just one side of these conflicts. What we do in our military forays abroad DOES matter. And world opinion does matter. We had nearly everyone on our side after 9/11, and we were properly focused on the group that was responsible. But then came the idea to invade Iraq, out of bowels of the PNAC ideological thinktank, and it changed everything. We decided to use a tragedy like 9/11 to take an economic and strategic opportunity.

There are more terrorists now, not less. We are less safe now. And the enemy we face cannot be beaten by mere bombing into submission; they're too scattered, and aren't even one group any more. Nobody deserves to die from terrorists, and we are in the right on this. But it's the height of insanity to do things that create more resentment and more terrorists, and then pretend it's all OK because we're allegedly the good guys. We weren't the good guys in Iraq since civilized nations don't attack other nations unless directly threatened, and now there's something for the entire Islamic world to rally around to hate us for. Great. We don't have ourselves to thank for terrorism, but we have ourselves to thank for how many there are, and how much popular support they have.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my dad's collegue (spelling?) is from India and once he told my dad that everyone in India thinks that Americans are horrible people because we live like Gods and we have everything yet we waste it all and don't appreciate it. So i guess that's how the Islamic extremist think of us. i think they are afraid the west will pollute their culture with our sex, violance (lol) our drugs, our alcohol, our food, etc. i think they just want to protect their culture and they are willing to die for it.

their way of living (the non extremist i mean) is perfectly fine and theres nothing wrong with it, and IMO so is ours (the west) but the extremest can't see that both cultures can co-exist peacfully in a modern and civilized way. it's very very sad.

We have killed thousands in this war alone. innocent people going about their lives. theres no excuse for it what so ever. George dubbyah said he would go to war as a last effort, but he jumped right into it. it's all about oil and revenge.

the only good thing about George Dubbyah being elected twice is that he can't ever be in office again.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast