User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 48 of 227

Thread: Terrorist attack

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join the military and find out what the term "Rules of engagement" means before you go blaming the U.S. for "Blowing up thousands of innocent people" The U.S. Military takes upmost care to not kill civilians when conducting operations. Do civilians get killed? Of course they do, and it's a tradgedy. The difference is, we try to limit the amount of collateral damage and the terrorists try to kill as many civilians as possible, in fact their prime objective is the loss of civilian life.

    The reason is, they hate us and our way of life, so by that way of thinking we can limit the attacks by making them like us. Yeah, I see that happening in the near future.

  2. #42
    rattler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    missing, presumed dead
    Posts
    8,554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah you have to remember these terrorists arent out to destroy only american lives and those of our allies. the suicide bombings in Iraq are killing 10 times more civillians(read:children, women and men of their own RELIGION AND COUNTRY) than american soldiers. there entire method is wrong, if they were just attacking military targets it would be different which is why i belive there is a huge difference between Peral Harbor and 9/11, Peral Harbor was a 100% military target, New York City was a 100% civilian target. what on this earth makes you think you can reason with ppl who have no interest in doing any thing but the most nice guyized form of guerilla "warfare" and its not even warfare, they are hitting entirly civilan targets most of the time
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I think the 'women' you mention (I didn't know this was the 19th century)


    Since when is the term 'women' 19th century?
    Calling a bunch of people who you disagree with 'women' in a derogatory way strikes me as old fashioned [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] I'm not criticising you, it just made me smile.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I actually mean the women who are coming out against the war on terror. If they lived in that part of the world, they as women would not be entitled to even voice an oppinion, they would be covered from head to toe and have less rights than a slave in the American South prior to the Civil War.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misunderstandings are funny... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

  6. #46
    Capslock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, the notion that any of us are terrorist sympathizers is just laughable, and every word that followed in that post was therefore suspect. In fact, it betrays the bankruptcy of an arguement to have to invent the qualities of opposition you intend to debate. I believe "straw man" is the proper term for the fallacy.

    It would be nice to say that 100% of the people here condemn terrorism, and the taking of innocent lives. Except that the US has killed thousands of innocent children, women and men in Iraq in order to prosecute our war against that country. Not only do they not want us there, and I mean virtually unanimously, not just "terrorists", but they posed no threat of any kind to the US. They were NOT training terrorists, as commonly alleged, and had absolutely NO connection to the attacks on 9/11. This is the conclusion of the Republican-controlled Congressional report, not some liberal invention. Read it if you don't believe it.

    It is similarly beyond debate that the war on Iraq was not supported by the greater international community. Not only were the justifications for the war (changeable as they apparently are) proven to be deliberate lies (Downing Street Memo, anyone?), but even if true don't justify an invasion. For example, there are many countries with unelected leaders with whom we have extensive relationships. We are not threatening to attack any of them, becarse that's just absurd. So now we're reviled not just by Muslim extremists, but by everyday Muslims, and by, frankly, Europeans among others.

    Such is the unpopularity of our aggressions in Iraq that an enormous insurgency has developed that never would have otherwise existed. They are honing their techniques in daily clashes with "Iraqi" security and US troops, especially in the area of IEDs, or Improvised Explosive Devices. Guess what was used in London?

    Finally, it really serves nobody to demonize and dehumanize your opposition. From a military standpoint, it's just dumb because it's a distortion of how they actually think, and the lack of understanding of your enemy makes it harder to predict their actions, and harder to win the hearts and minds of those "on the fence." Our arrogant beligerance has tipped a lot of those fence-sitters into full-bore America-haters. Honestly, how much reason have we given them not to hate us? Fewer than 20 people, unorganized and secretive, took part in the 9/11 attacks. Yet we effectively declared war on a Muslim country that had nothing to do with it as a result. Given their paranoia that we are a threat to the region and their way of life, how smart does that seem? How is the average non-terrorist middle-easterner supposed to view that, much less the average Iraqi?

    The world stood behind us as we struck back at the Taliban and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. We've taken that support, and arrogantly thrown it away, derisively referring to our longest and best allies as "old Europe" and alienated many of those who previously stood behind us. What used to be a pretty easy good guy/bad guy scenario has become blurred. And it angers a lot of us to have our President lying through his teeth, arrogantly casting our allies aside, and leading us into a hornet's nest with no real plan, no laudable goals, and no justification for the thousands of deaths that result.

    And now Iraq is a quagmire just like Vietnam became, and the "terrorists" have a new training ground to learn how to effectively fight US troops and explode busses.

    None of this had to be. We could have just kept fighting against those who engage in international terrorism. The President didn't have to lie and get us into an irrelevant quagmire in Iraq (which while following the "rules of engagement", still kills thousands of innocents who are just as dead as anyone.) We could have a real world-wide coalition fighting terrorism in all corners of the world. We could be winning the hearts and minds of peaceful Muslims around the world.

    But we chose a different path. One of division, demonization, aggression, invasion, imperialism, oil-mongering, and deception. Pointing that out, and being angry about it, doesn't make us sympathisers. It just means we're all about solving this problem, not simply indulging in self-righteous bloodlust, ranting about "killing them all."

    Capslock [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif[/img]
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

    My photos are copyright-free and public domain

  7. #47
    Nepenthes Specialist nepenthes gracilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Alexandria Bay, NY Z-5a
    Posts
    6,341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ July 07 2005,4:20)] Let us not forget that revenge is the most potent fuel on earth.
    I'll take a fillup of revenge for 10cents a gallon please. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]you cant just go around blowing up thousands of innocent people just because you want a few dead
    Tell that to the terrorists.




  8. #48
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ July 08 2005,7:34)]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ July 07 2005,4:20)] Let us not forget that revenge is the most potent fuel on earth.
    I'll take a fillup of revenge for 10cents a gallon please. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Make mine premium revenge at 12 cents a gallon--I love to overpay for more refined revenge. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •