What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrorist attack

I say blame the people. The media will only show what gets ratings, and people control ratigs. I don't think the media are out there to do anything but get money, and if focusing on certain things will earn money, then they'll do it. That's the purpose of having a job.
And same thing for the two party system. People don't want to be all that well informed. They want simple things. A or B, not A, B, C, D, or E. If the media showed all parties, nobody would watch the debates (frankly, including me.... well, even if i could vote :p)
I don't think having more than two or three parties would work all that well. Even at the beginnings of the nation it somewhat like it was today.
I think yeah, ideally people shouldn't be sheeps, there should be more parties, blah blah, but it's just like communism, in "theory" it's all wonderful, but in reality it doesn't really work.

we have more than 3 parties...

but yeah i don't even watch the "news" anymore. i get my news from FSTV

we might as well only have two. Heck, I know there are democrats, republicans, the green party... and there's a liberal party too right? communist and nazi party? there are dozens of them out there... but I just know what two stand for, and I don't hear about the other parties like... ever.

i agree Bruce, i would have loved to see Dean get farther. he seemed a bit more "real" than the other two. also the major media is a major part of the problem. here is an interesting fact about the media. how often do you see them bashing democrats? not often. it takes a major screw up by a democrat for the major media to pick up on it generally. however the slightest thing goes wrong with a republican and they hop on it like starving wolves. whats up with that? it drives me nuts. they try and claim to be unbiased but there actions prove other wise. it really bugs me that they pick and support one candidate. to me that defeates their purpose. the major media in general has a major beef with republicans and i cant for the life of me figure out why. as far as interesting news stories the emocrats come up with some equally interesting and disturbing stories, however they are generally skirted. i would rather see more balanced coverage in the news than anything but thats never going to happen.

I won't engage in the liberal vs. conservative media thing because I think the media gave Bush et al. a free pass for all kinds of bad things after 9/11.  But with the active support of Democrats like Hillary and CT's own Joe Lieberman.  Modern journalism dictates that if a Republican spokesperson says black is white, the journalist asks a Democrat for comment and reports, "but Democrats disagree."  And vice versa.  But Democrats have been an absolutely inept opposition party and too many times an invertebrate like Lieberman will answer, "I think there can be common ground on this important issue."

I've heard it said that a majority of the reporters and talking heads are socially liberal.  Wouldn't surprise me.  But their reporting promotes militarism, the interests of Wall Street, the World Bank version of economic colonialism, and so on.  Is it because those are popular with the audience or because those are the interests of the corporations that own the media?

In my opinion, the American media is neither liberal nor conservative, necessarily. They are corporatist. The "major media" is owned by a very few billionaire players. They are businesses, first and foremost, with profit as their goal. Other than enforcing stronger anti-trust laws so that the ownership of the media is much more diverse and varied, I'm not sure anything can be done about it. However, I think the internet is emerging as the primary news source for a lot of people. And while there's a lot of trash out there, there's a lot of good stuff, too. People who don't have a strong, vested economic stake in the news stories tend to do a little bit better at digging up information.

Capslock

PS: Rattler, it just seems that way because Republicans do a lot more bad things!
smile_m_32.gif

lol could be but the democrats have the Kennedy family. what more do yah need?
smile_m_32.gif
Ted is a real winner for sure, not to say that the Bush family is perfect either. anyways as far as the media, i believe the internet has been a REALLY good thing but there is probably mor BS on the net than on TV, still got to sort through the junk.

It takes patence and time to short trough junk, two things that americans seem to have too little of. And its also true that people listen to what they want to hear on the internet.

<<here is an interesting fact about the media. how often do you see them bashing democrats? not often. it takes a major screw up by a democrat for the major media to pick up on it generally.>>

You have GOT to be kidding, Rattler.  Let's see.. there's Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Brit Hume, Michael Medved, not to mention ALL the major media in this country are owned by international conglomerates, who are by nature conservative.  

I'm still waiting for a major media outlet to hold Bush's toes to the fire vis a vis the Rove/Plame thing. Funny how high crimes and misdemeanors and treason by some in a certain politcal party doesn't even register. This is impeachment material, much more-so than a dalliance with a bimbo intern.

I'm still waiting for someone to hold Bush's toes to the fire regarding the lies that got us into the war with Iraq..which was supposed to make the world a safer place, remember?

And 83 people were killed in Egypt today by a suicide bomber.  How safe did the war in Iraq make them?

will somebody bribe me to on one side or the other with free plants.

<<Especially your opinion, April. I won't take anything from you, regardless of what you may think of me.>>

I don't think anything of you actually, or your opinions, and I'm not giving you a darn thing...except some type-written words. Can't take it? You know what Bugweed? I don't give a crap what YOU think. I have a life outside carnivorous plants, I had one before, and I'll have one after, and really, I don't need a darn website to figure out how to care for them. I got into these plants by accident. All the info I need is there in books, according to you experts.

Didn't you say that anyone who was in a political party was a sheep? Didn't you say that many times? Were you the one who said that all muslims should be excluded from this country, or was that someone else? Which one of you is still allowed to even be on this website after posting such blatantly racist crap? SO.........Who's doing the name calling and being inflammatory? I don't recall calling anyone any names, except for public figures, who are open targets, and I think the worst I called any one of them was a liar.

"Neither party is worth a crap, so be done with it."

Please explain to me the "non-inflammatory" way to interpret this? Oh, I get it..a mod can be inflammatory....but nobody else......

Why, here are some yummy nuggets I picked out of this very thread. I guess they weren't inflammatory or name calling enough? Because they're still there and the people who wrote them haven't been booted from the site...

"You know, its too bad we cant do something like "Every single time one of you blows up something in our country, we will execute 5000 of your men, women, and children at random." Maybe then they will think twice."

"Wake up and smell the cappucino all you terrorist sympathizers. These animals hate you and everything you stand for."

"Don't EVER vote for a Democrat or Republican again, but go for the independants."

"If one radical religion is out of hand, then they cannot come here--PERIOD!!!!"

I could have picked out a dozen more, but it's late, and your argument with me not worth one single second more than I have already put into it. Because it's a specious one.

like i said april i dont care for either party. i personally think they are worthless and are not allowing the right ppl the shot at most major offices. both partys are mainly interested and holding the power. and you should think twice about any senator or rep or whoever that sits and whines that the other party is in power. its a real good sign about what they are really after, and its not whats doing the best for you.

as to the suicide bombings your making a big deal off, havent you watched the news for the last 10 years? suicide bombings are nothing new, infact in Isreal, and other places in the middle east they are pretty common place and have been for years. just wait there will be some more in this country before long and it has nothing to do with the war in Iraq. did the planes on 9-11 have anything to do with the war in Iraq? these extreamists HATE western culture. go ahead and try to sympothize with them but in the end they hate you and will kill you if given the chance. it was that way before the first Iraq war and it will be that way long in the future.

The planes of 9/11 were Bush's excuse to invade Iraq. Otherwise there's absolutely no connection between 9/11 and what we've done in Iraq. Our home-grown Christian extremists also hate western culture and I worry about them too.

i'm atheist. i don't care what religion you are, i still like you as long as you don't push it on me. i don't group people in one religion as a whole.

don't forget theres a big difference between uber-conservative people in a religion and extremists.

tue Bruce, we are producing real winners here at home. granted most extreamists here have focused their attention specifically at the government. lots of Posse Comitatus types around here. pretty wacko types but they are p***** at Big Brother and not Joe Citizen.

This is pushing the number one rule now - "be nice".

I can see this getting locked before long.

And remember - no swearing.

We are being nice. Some people cross the line, but it's staying pretty civil. Rattler and I are even agreeing about some things, even though he's one of those arch-conservative Montana wackos and I'm a perfectly reasonable Connecticut ultra-liberal. Or is he the reasonable one and I'm the wacko? I get confused sometimes.

April, Yawn and yawn again. I do not care. I know the middle east better than most of you would. And I know how they have felt about us for a long time, and what they always do to those they hate. Say anything you want, berate me if you wish, it falls on deaf ears, and uncaring eyes. I know what I know, and it will do no good to explain it to most of you. Whatever comes down, I expect it to get worse, regardless of who is in power, and all the stuff they try to pull to keep it away. It is in your face, like it or not. If you are a sheep, you are a sheep. If you are not, then you aren't. Who cares anyway. Want to take something said in general personally, knock yourself out, April. BUT, nothing was ever directed at you personally. If you think I called you a sheep, then examine yourself, because I did not. Want to split more hairs, A h? No wonder nothing gets done when every word is examined for a personal attack.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] these extreamists HATE western culture.
I wouldn't say they hate western culture, they just hate the US.
I don't think there are really many alquaeda and their kin attacks in mexico or brazil or etc.
america doesn't equal western culture.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if i choose a side will i get free plants? :)
Interesting comment.  

Yawn and yawn again, I'd still be interested in somebody extending the courtesy of sharing the meaning of
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]D. S.
with me.

Thanks much, Laura

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--Hubert H. Humphery

Back