User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A harp seal goes home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i noticed somebody's topic on other hobbies before and i thought i'd share a few pics from this morning [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

on my days off from my actual summer job i volunteer with the Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation, locally known as "the seal people". We rescue stranded marine mammals and sea turtles, rehab them at our hospital, and then release them back into the wild. I'm currently working my way up to seal team but somehow i because the unofficial release photographer in the meantime. i know a lot of people here are into conservation so i thought you'd like to see some results of the marine kind

"Meeko" is a young harp seal that stranded on a local (Long Island) beach in March. He came in with parasites, pneomonia and all sorts of other good stuff, but the good folks at the Foundation got him back up to health in no time. He was tagged and released a few hours ago into the Shinnecock Inlet, where he'll make his way out to sea. A few harp seals released last summer showed up as far away as Greenland!

Ain't he cute?

Checking things out

Out on the beach...

...into the water...

Homeward bound
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool!

Is that Long Island, as in New York State?
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG He's ADORABLE!I just love him!Good for you guys for saving him! I really respect people like you moonflower [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] And good piccies too [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] Good luck little guy. ~Niki~ [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David ("in Brooklyn"), yup Riverhead is on THE Island, Suffolk County, eastern end. Have you ever heard of Huntington? That's where I'm from, right near Amityville (Horror). Are you near Dobbs Ferry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim,

Well I'm not in "Brooklyn" any longer (LOL LOL LOL! I remember, boy you have quite a memmory!), but I have moved a little closer to civilization. I am about, oh, 1/2 hour from Dobs Ferry. About 45 minutes from the Whitestone Bridge (or Throgs Neck, and take about 5 minutes off that). I know of Huntington, though I doubt I could just point to it on a map of the island, which is bad concidering I'm on the island every other week for class....

You still live out there? For some reason I though you were somewhere else....
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nice success story [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Bye for now Julian

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwwwwwww....good for you and your group! That's wonderful. Great pics too...I feel like I was there! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (schloaty @ July 08 2005,10:05)]Hey Jim,

Well I'm not in "Brooklyn" any longer (LOL LOL LOL! I remember, boy you have quite a memmory!), but I have moved a little closer to civilization. I am about, oh, 1/2 hour from Dobs Ferry. About 45 minutes from the Whitestone Bridge (or Throgs Neck, and take about 5 minutes off that). I know of Huntington, though I doubt I could just point to it on a map of the island, which is bad concidering I'm on the island every other week for class....

You still live out there? For some reason I though you were somewhere else....
    Sorry to hijack this....

No, not anymore. I went to college at Plattsburgh and promptly moved to Albany for a year. A civil service exam brought me to Buffalo. There were brief stops in rural Kentucky, Ohio, and now in Reading, PA. But now at least I am so much closer to the NYC sphere of influence and I can get Met games on the radio again. Woo hoo! (don't laugh).

Sorry, Heather!

And now back to our topic....

Years ago, harp seals were in the news because of our species "clubbing to death" the pups for their fur. Wasn't that just barbaric!?