Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good news or bad news

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...I think you should take the new job so you can be an on-site advocate for the plants, get permission for rescues and have a legitimate reason for being on the site. You will still have 2 days to map CPs in other places. And the extra money and benefits sure won't hurt.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well whats that saying? i had to destroy the town to save the town?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep your enemies closer, right?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]well whats that saying? i had to destroy the town to save the town?
    I've been seeing a lot of posts like these: the general assumption being that you'd be killing CPs by working for the industrial place. It would appear that people have been overlooking something Ozzy said:
    Quote[/b] ]This construction site is about a mile from the preserve.
    That's a good point A. The site is outside of the preserve, bringing up the question: Are there carnivorous plants there to BEGIN with??
    While this question still stands and remains relevent, there is point B which addresses the truth a bit more, also a quote from Ozzy himself:
    Quote[/b] ]There is nothing I can do short of buying all the land myself to stop it from being developed.
    Ok, so this addressed, I'd say to you, Ozzy, that you should go with the new job. You said that the area will be for a new sewer system and this brings up a few points:
    1. Maybe the sewer system will prevent contaminated (especially with nitrates as most sewage is) water from entering or even potentially interfering with wildlife within or around the preserve. While I do feel that it may be a more than slightly Romantic thought, it's a possability.
    2. Not working on condos is good for two reasons in this case: you said you don't like working on them, and because I think that a condo being built in this area would be a much bigger threat than a pump site for a new sewage system.
    3. Environmental impact reports are pretty darn strict where I live, so I'm hoping/assuming that they are the same there ESPECIALLY since the preserve is so nearby, so hopefully the construction will do minimal damage.

Furthermore, as PAK said, it might be good to be an "insider," that in no way implies that you need be unethical, shifty, or unloyal to your employer, but merely that you can keep a tab on what's going on. Still, the preserve is very close, as you said, you could play this as a plus: I'm not sure if you've been mapping inside of the preserve or outside, but if it's within, then if you aren't too beat one day after work you could go afterwards (seems a bit unrealistic, but it's possible.) Heck, you could even take a colleague on a tour of the preserve some time and get them interested in the conservation issue as well.

Like Capslock said, you REALLY will want to leave your old job (should you choose to) in a manner that leaves to bitterness behind. For instance, what if you were for the new people, you find out they're doing things legally but unethically/irresponsibly or even illegally, then you could always make more of an impact by quitting than you ever could as an electrician for the residential people.

Even if/though the site has already been cleared, by working with these people you'd have grounds for going to new sites and rescuing what you can. All in all, you'd have a lot more leverage about what's happening as an employee to them than someone that they've never heard of.

I know that it's your decision in the end, but my thoughts are that you could do more for for helping both carnivorous plants AND yourself by taking the new job. If you're happy (ie not unhappy with work,) and have the money to do so, I think that your CP site searching would go a lot better. Hey, maybe they'll even cover the medical costs of getting attacked by a man-sized chigger. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

It's a life decision and this is just my opinion, I hope that whichever route you take that you will be happy and feel content with the choice that you have made. No matter what the choice, you're a good person for doing so much and caring so much about these wonderful plants.

P.S. Sorr that this is so darn long. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Hmmm...I think you should take the new job so you can be an on-site advocate for the plants, get permission for rescues and have a legitimate reason for being on the site. You will still have 2 days to map CPs in other places. And the extra money and benefits sure won't hurt.
    I agree with everything PAK said Ozzy. You will still find time to "save the CPs" and possibly influence the future development in the area. I know this from experience, developers and contractors will listen much more closely to people in the trade than those they consider tree huggers. You will become aware of future developments through your contacts in the business and therefore your voice could be far more important in saving the plants BEFORE the plans are on the board.
    You can have your cake and eat it to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Ozzy,how much longer are you gonna keep us in suspence??Tell us what you chose already! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] ~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll tell you next month.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just joking.

As I said before I HATE wiring houses and condos. It's so much different than commercial or industrial electrical work. I can't see myself doing that kind of work for very long. I tried to keep an open mind when I took the job I had, but nothing changes the fact that I hate it.
    But because of that job, I found two new cp sites, one of which is the best vft site I have ever seen. I found it by looking out of the window of the truck on the way to a jobsite. I searched it this morning, it's was wonderful. But it won't be there much longer. A housing development is right next to it.
    Almost every job I did with that company was land that I'm sure use to have cp's. It was killing me to see site after site gone.
    The pump station is designed to handle more residential development. So it will allow more sites to be destroyed other than the site it's built on.
    Either way I'm taking part in destroying cp sites.
    So I decided to do whats best for me. I took the job.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast