Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good news or bad news

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well before I get to what I have to tell you, I think I need to give a quick review of the last few months of my life.

A few years ago I became dedicated to saving as many cp sites around South eastern NC as I can, especially the Green Swamp. I was living in another state so what I could do was very limited.
    Last month I moved back to NC. There was many reasons I moved back but one of them was to do what I can to save cp sites and the Green Swamp.
    After moving here I started looking for a job. I'm an electrician and it seemed that all the jobs in this area was residential, like houses and condos. I really hate doing residential work. I would much rather be wiring a big store, factory, or industrial plant. I couldn't find anything but residential work so I took a job with a very good company wiring houses and condos. Last week I found a website of a company that is looking to hire electricians in this area for industrial work. I filled out an online application. I got a call the next day to schedule an interview. We setup a day and time and then he gave me directions to the jobsite. When he told me where it was I realized that I knew the area very well. It's in the Green Swamp.
    The interview was today. I got there and it was just where I thought it was. About a half mile off the main was a cleared area, with what will be a pump station for the new sewer system for Brunswick county. This area has been on my list of places to search for cp's.
    The interview went very well and I was offered a job, starting off making over $100 more a week than I'm making right now. Within two weeks I can be making $350 a week more. So I can make way more money doing something I like doing instead of something I hate doing.
    This job has better benefits, saving me another $100 a week.
    Now for the down side. I like the company and the guys I work with now. The owners of the company are really good people and I hate to quit on them. The job I have now, I work 4 10 hour days. I'm off on Fridays, and I have been using that time to map Cp sites. The new job, I'll be working on Fridays.
    So with all the info I gave here guess what I did. I'm not going to tell you yet. I want to hear everybodies true feelings, and if I tell what I decided to do I think it could change what some of you have to say.
    So tell me what you would do and why.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so they are going to develope the green swamp?

i think you turned it down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since you're earning more money, you can help out CPs better. By working for them you're not harming the CPs since you're not the one making the decisions or anything. If you quit they'd just find another person. You can also at least try (I know it won't work... but it doesn't hurt to try) to talk to them.
    so the way I see it, if you quit, it doesn't help CPs. If you stay, it could help CPs. So I say there's no reason to quit.
    Yes, it might feel bad working for them, but think of how you can help CPs better.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me explain a little more. They have been devloping the Green Swamp ever since White men settled the area. There is 16,000 acres (I think) that is preserved by the Nature Conservancy. This construction site is about a mile from the preserve.There is nothing I can do short of buying all the land myself to stop it from being developed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and will quitting/not accepting/whatever do anything to help CPs?
    Will more money help you protect CPs in any way? maybe not the land being developed but in some other way?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it'll also take one day a week away from my work with cp's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    darn, always seems like life throws you a curve ball, when you least expect it. Geez, I would think if you took the job, it would break your heart all day to know that you are somehow taking part in the ruining of the Green Swamp...it probably wouldn't affect the other guy who would fill your place. Maybe it would help to tell the people hiring you, that you would not accept the job because of its implications...unless they have any inclination towards conservation. Who knows, maybe they do. Best of luck with your decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would I do??? I'd most probably stay put with the residential electrical contractor working four 10-hour days with associates and owners whom I enjoyed. The one thing that would stop me would be the benefits. Disability and Health insurance benefits would be critical mass for me. If the benefits provided by the commercial electrical contractor were more comprehensive (not necessarily more affordable), I'd have no choice but to accept that position working Mon-Fri hence foregoing the opportunity to pursue the mapping of CP sites which could be pushed to weekends. My husband and the boys come first. Money isn't everything but one definitely needs enough to feel comfortable as well as reasonably confident that one won't lose a home or end up in bankruptcy court as a result of an illness or accident. Twenty years ago, I would have gone for the higher pay hands down as it would have afforded me other philanthropic opportunities and a nicer car and home.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast