Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elevator to outter space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An elevator to space has been confirmed and research/construction on it has already begun. The elevator will be used to carry goods and people to an outside space station. The first lift is scheduled for April 12, 2018.

All the information here:
    http://www.liftport.com/faq.php
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny how neurotic a lot of those questions sound... I hope they don't actually have people asking most of them.

"Someone's making a really really long wire! I'm scared!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would there be drag on the wire itself, causing the speed of the wire to slow down, and thus causing the speed of the station to speed down, causing a cataclysmic crash toward earth?

Oh wait, the wire it moving with earth, so that means it woudn't be working against the earth's atmophere to circle, dragging the space station. If that's so, than wouldn't the station have to be positioned perfectly on the equator?

What about wind effect on the cable, wouldn't it sway a bit, knocking the station around, and potentially cause a crash? EDIT: I just read the part on the page. So what if it's a low wind area, wouldn't the winds be much stronger up in the higher atmospheres?
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're talking about having rockets to stabilize it and stuff. Still, even if they do work out the bugs in the plan I don't think that industry will be in much of a position to undertake such a frivolous project by the time they're ready to commense construction. Science fiction is all well and dandy, but shouldn't we be curing AIDS or something?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ July 11 2005,3:28)]Would there be drag on the wire itself, causing the speed of the wire to slow down, and thus causing the speed of the station to speed down, causing a cataclysmic crash toward earth?
    No. As the cable thats outside the atmosphere re-enters it burns up and the part that doesn't burn up falls into the ocean. The size of the wave it would create is in the FAQ. The cable and the station are in perfect sync with the earths rotation. A break is highly unlikely since the cables used are more than 3 times the strengt needed and they plan to continue building new cables once the first one is set and tested.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (seedjar @ July 11 2005,3:56)]Science fiction is all well and dandy, but shouldn't we be curing AIDS or something?
    I direct you to FAQ Question #3: Why should we build a Space Elevator?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I can see it, but I have my doubts. I'm not at all comfortable with beaming solar power back down to Earth with microwaves (we can't even tell aid facilities from military installations in our bombing runs - do you really want somebody pointing tens of megawatts of microwave energy at a reciever just outside your city?) And this won't just open up upper-atmosphere industry - it's a perfect platform for space-based weapons as well. We've got a lot of other things to worry about, like infectious disease, civil unrest, and the climate. The space elevator will do us no good if the population is wiped out by something like ebola or a more virulent HIV. It may aid pharmecutical production, but I have my doubt that it will revolutionize development. The US won't have the infrastructure to do anything with a space elevator if the climate goes wonky and we have to annex Canada just for farming space. (No offense Canadians, but you can't tell me you don't see the possibility.)
    It just strikes me as lacking a little in foresight... there are a bunch of big problems on the horizon; the last thing we need is some crazy multi-billion dollar project that might help us make some more bucks off of totally nonessential industries. I think it's a cool idea and all, don't get me wrong, but it's still more of a big toy than a necessity - it's just not a good time for this kind of thing. Maybe if we had the technology for, say, agricultural and residential satellites, then it would be an important step... but we're really putting the cart before the horse, if you ask me.
    And besides, how many people are really going to be crazy and healthy enough to work up there? I mean, I'm crazy enough but I'm in terrible shape and falling apart from arthritis, asthma and ulcers at 20. How many people will want to move to space and give up a nice comfy life on the surface? This strikes me as something that the proliteriate will suffer for. No CEOs or governors will be moving to mansions in the sky any time soon. It's going to be the lower class laborers who're the guinea pigs in this science project. Between this and those supreme court property law rulings, I can definitely see government mandated relocations of low-cost housing to satellites.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 is going to be a very different time no matter what.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast