3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I get paid by the hour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get paid by the hour too Oz.Jim~My friend is the one getting this much right,and we're bestfriends so of course she's gonna tell me how much she's getting,but you just brought up a very good point.If I do this,I could get my friend in trouble!I certainly don't want that.Also,what's the difference between salary and wage?I'm still on probation until August 16th,so I don't think I could ask for a raise anyways before that time is up.You're right Ozzy,I did make an agreement when I got hired to get $8/hour,but it still sucks,lol.I guess my friend was a better nagotiator.I'm not very good at asking for stuff,especially from my boss.I am very shy in situations like that.I think I'm just gonna leave it.My boss is really nice,and I really like her,I just felt weird that this happened.Anyways,thanks guys [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Feel free to keep commenting [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Just ask. Don't be bitter, or angry. Just ask.
    That seems to be the best way to go. Talk to your boss, don't fly off the handle straight away or anything. Mixups happen pretty easily, and I find it doubtable that your boss would try to flat out screw you our of your money since you do a variety of functions at the workplace. Talk to your boss calmly and nicely- your goal is to figure out what went wrong, not reprimand your boss. I'm sure you already knew that, but sometimes it's good to reiterate. Good luck.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    generally people get paid 2 different ways,
    hourly or salary.

hourly means you get paid a certain amount per hour.
    if you work 40 hours one week, but only 32 the next week, 10 the next week, you only get paid for the amount of hours you worked..

the more "professional" levels get paid a salary.
    your basic doctors, lawyers, CEO's etc.
    they get paid a set weekly amount, and its the same regardless of the hours they work..but generally they work MORE than 40 hours a week..

for example, I work at Kodak.
    im a research technician, I get paid hourly.
    if I work over 40 hours a week, I get paid time and a half "overtime"..
    but generally I never get overtime.

The engineers, scientists, and all the managers at Kodak are salaried..
    they get paid the same every week regardless of the hours worked.
    BUT..they have to work a minimum of 50 hours a week!
    50 hours is their minimum! every week...
    and they dont get any extra if they work 60, 70, 80 hours a week..
    they make the big bucks, but they work more hours for it..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot,you sayin' I'm not a professional? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] Thanks for explaining that to me.I'm happy getting paid hourly.~Niki~ [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, if your friend told you she's making more than you, you haven't broken any 'unofficial' confidentiality. You deserve at least equal pay (you have been working longer), you have a case IMHO. You HAVE to talk to your boss--confront her (or him)! In my experience, this things usually go over well (most of the time, the boss actually gets a little worried [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] )

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its true that asking for a raise because someone else is making more is a ticklish issue because employees are not supposed to discuss their salaries. That doesn't mean people don't do it...but that's exactly the reason most don't do it. When people tell their salaries, someone ends up getting PO'ed. Its kinda like opening Pandora's box. I never tell anyone what I make.

Capslock is right...it doesn't hurt to ask. I wouldn't mention knowing the other person's salary as that doen't look to good on you since that's a professional "no-no". Just tell your boss all the work you do (every last little thing) and how hard you work, how reliable you are...and then you've done the best you can do. The rest is up to your employer.

Good luck!

I'll agree though it doesn't sound fair. BTW...its "gypped" (the origin comes from "gypsies" who are known for stealing...ripping people off).
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the same job that you showed up late for on the first day? I dont know what your record is like with this place but you need to take an honest look at your work history and evaluate your performance before you go in and ask for more money. You could be the greatest dog walker/groomer in the world, but if you show up late or miss a lot of days an employer is not likely to be to generous with the greenbacks. BTW being late means ANY time after the time you are set to be there.. if you are supposed to start at 10 am and you show up at 10:02 you are late.. may not seem like much but in the eyes of an employer its a very big deal.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast