What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things that make you think a lil......

It's still a right. However, there's been a movement around to pass a Constitutional Amendment to ban flag burning.

I'm not sure what's wrong with people these days, but Constitutional Amendments used to be made to expand and protect individual liberty and rights. Nowadays, they're trying to use the process to restrict rights. It's sad; that's not what the Constitution is for.

Capslock

Capslock for the first time in this thread i think i am in 110% agreement with you.

Heck, I'm going to quit while I'm ahead then! LOL!

Capslock
smile_n_32.gif

oh yeh it wasnt a bill our senator tied it was that constitutional amendment thing. i remember now

I can see your point there. But look at things from another point of view. We had a number of countries telling use he's got wmds he's got wmds. Well, if we didn't go in, and it turns out he did, what would we look like? And since we went in, we can't just say, oops, we bad, lol, see ya later.

Also, don't forget, technology has improved since the times of those wars in the past.

tuna, i fully realize that technology has changed things. the numbers are just thatre to put things in perspective. infact i find the numbers for the stuff other than the past wars the most interesting. anyways, as far as Iraq, IMHO i think the country stands a good chance of falling apart once we leave. Sadam was an evil being and the world is a better place without him in power but alot of money went over there that i think would have better been spent here at home. personally i think the well fare system is totally screwed and needs complete and total revamping. it is nolonger a pick me up for ppl down on their luck like it was set up to be. it is now an "employment oppertunity" for those who like to work the system. i have literally heard a 15 year old say that she couldnt wait to have a kid so that she could get a big check every month like her mom. things at home are screwed and need to be fixed fast before the whole system comes tumbling down.

the well fare system needs revamped, we need to dump the whole Indian Reservation system as its screwed up, the heck with special interests and the minority rights. just plain go to equal rights for equal pay, hire the best man(or woman) for the job and screw the whole special interst BS. special interest groups are tearing this country apart. they are only looking at their lil slice of the pie and not the good of the country and the ppl as a whole

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 13 2005,6:27)]well i guess we will just have to agree to disagree on that point. i am fully awhare of what the term means, and im sure you fully believe the way that you feel and i can really see that debate turning ugly fast. so.......mutual-disagreement?
I partly agree with JLIP...

IF we take them into custody, we MUST treat them humanely. This is what separates us as a civilised nation from the savages.

All's fair, however on the battlefield... Kill as many as you can, and only take prisoners if you think you need information, and they might have it, and could be convinced to give it up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 13 2005,6:50)]mutually disagreed lol.

hey i like everyone i've ever had a debate/argument/disagreement with. as long as both people don't take it too seriously ( i hate ppl like that) it's all cool.
That's the difference between this and forums specifically devoted to politics... the fights get pretty nasty there, and I *do* enjoy throwing down and being a recreational a**hole sometimes. But I come to this site not for rancorous debate, but to trade plants and learn more about them. I don't care if somebody on this forum is 180 degrees adamantly opposed to my political views -- i'll still trade with them, gift plants to them, and share advice with them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 14 2005,10:51)]on the flag burning issue, even though i hate to see it, i do believe it is freedom of speach. i also think about it this way. by burning the flag a person is admitting that the flag is a very strong symbol which is more than the average joe probably does
Absolutely, rattler. Honestly, I think people who fly small flags on their vehicles, and let them go into tatters are being more disrespectful than those who burn it, for that precise reason.

The less a politician amounts to, the more s/he loves the flag!

I think the native americans are entitled to even more land and their reseve system isnt enough because reserves were purpously put on the most unproductive land. we need tto give them enough good land to raise the reserve inhabitants above the poverty level. Minority rights are sometimes used to preseve cultures and prevent discrimination, not to give them a unfair advantage. I for one think t would be aufly boring if there went other cultures in our country

unpreductive land? you really arent familiar with the reservation im living on(both the Assiniboine and Lakota(Souix) are here).

#1 it is some of the best irrigated and dryland farmland there is
#2 the tribes on this reservation are currently sitting on MILLIONS of dollars worth of oil which they own the mineral rights to.

now lets look at what they are doing with these. as to the farm land, those that have it are doing quite well with it for the most part. the rest sold off their land for a quick profit and then waisted the money.

as to the oil, the oil companies refuse to even talk with the tribes anymore. do you know what goes on at the normal tribal meetings? it takes 45 minutes to approve the freaking agenda!! the rest of the time is spent squabiling amongst themselves over who should be incharge of what and whos hand gets to be in the cookie jar. so nothing is being done with their oil and a good 75% of the tribes are sitting on wellfare, in other words living on my dime. the majority of those native kids given a shot through scholarships give up after the first semester cause living on wellfare on the reservation is much easier than actually trying to make something of themselves. those native kids that go to college and try and get somewhere would have gotten there reguardless of their race. also most of those kids that stay on the reservation act more "urban black" than native american anyways, think they are tough and in some sort of a gang.

the reservation system is screwed up, it doesnt work and the natives themselves have minimal to no interest of making it work. its time to quite putting my tax dollars and yours twords it. now before you lable me as "racist" or any other thing please note that several of my cousins are native as well as a good portion of my friends. i have just witnessed what the tribes have done with all their chances and handouts for the last 23 years that i have lived here. all this is coming from first had knowledge and experiance.

oh and BTW some of the natives that have the most respect and interest in keeping their heritage alive flat out refuse to live on the reservation. the reservations are doing more to kill of what is left of their culture than it is keeping it alive.

also it seems that the natives up in Alaska are doing alot more with what has been given them than most in the lower 48. they seem to be doing alot better and from what i have seen their heritage and history being kept alive at great lengths and effort by the ppl themselves than any down here. they seem to take more pride in their heritage and they have my deepest respect for it

Wile some of your info is undoubtedly correct, their irrigation is becaus ethey have no wet farmlands and thus have to to make a living. Some other is just misinformation and is so far out ther its not even funny> My farter happens to be a Cultural resorces  and has gon there an had his hands dirty in ther eor years, and thet there purpously living off the welfare systm is a grave insult to these people. Have u ever been out there and aked people why there on welfare? they have jobs but most jobs in the resevation dont pay enought to amke a living off of, and lots of the irrigated crops go to feed themselves and not sold. I would know.

Edit dang i got the name of profession wrong. its called cultural resorces...

why are they on wellfare cause they are more interested in being drunk or high than holding a job(this goes for whites as well as natives). as far as jobs, if the tribes would quit fighting amoungst themselves. punch some oil wells, make some $ and reinvest it into starting up buisnesses here they would be sitting pretty darn good. however you cant tell them this and they refuse to listen. i have gone to the meetings i have seen what they are doing to themselves. most are intentionally staying on wellfare cause they can collect a check for doing next to nothing.

as far as irrigation versus dry land. the dry land wheat and barley up here does pretty darn good. my grand father made a darn good living off of it. the only diference between his land and the rez is which side of the river its on. ive got friends and family living off of farming the exact same land as what the tribes are and are doing quite well for themselves.

Well id get a real exp[ert eho works with these people over here but hed get so pissed off hed probably snapp your neck. Since i dont know anything more ill stop here but im pretty shure youve got the motives totaly wrong, altough i dont dispute tsome of the things your saying> they may have a very good reason not to dirill oil> if i had a oil well on my property id leve it there if it would damage the enviroment. as or the fighting, well, same thing in congress. we could get lots done there if theyd stop the partisan politics, so i guess expecting other people to get past that when our own goverment cant isnt really fair.

no the reason they dont punch oil wells is cause the oil companies wont deal with the tribal ppl bickering amoungst themselves and not getting anything done. they hold their own elections for the tribal council and nothing new and good ever really happens. so my tax dollars should go to fund their squabbling? screw that ive got two kids that will need money for college and actually give a crap about their future.

the system doesnt work, the tribes arent interested in anything more than hand outs and wont do anything for themselves unless their is no other option. so do away with the whole reservation system. no more hand outs, make them fend for themselves like everyone else. they have no interest in returning to their old ways, if they did that would be different. but they want to live like every other person in the USA but they for the most part want to do it using hand outs and not pick them selves up and do it themselves. this once proud culture is turning into a bunch of beggers. the tribes have millions apon millions of dollars worth of oil, natural gas, crop land, water rights ect and THEY are asking for handouts? im sorry but there is something totally screwed with that picture. they should be forced to fend for themselves like everyone else.

and as for their being no decent paying jobs on the rez, ive had different employers darn near fight over me cause im willing to work. its not hard finding a job with a livable wage on the reservation if your willing to work. you have to remember that even though you might not make alot of money the cost of living over here is pretty darn low.

zappa, im not taking any of it to heart, dont worry about it. Finch and i are often on opposite sides of the discution. sticks and stones, sticks and stones..........................

oh the sanp your neck was just reffering to his temper and i really dont trust dad him not to make a big scene online. that want like ment to be inflamitory it was refering to fathers um... common retorts

As a atter of fact what ratteler says doent bug me at all and i totally agree the reserve system is screwed up. I am not upset by what ratteler says and he indeed has some good poins.

Truce?

(i do you think my behavior was just abit over the top? )

Back