What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant'em titanum

I was organizing my bookshelf today and realized I had forgotten to check on my Amorphophallus titanum bulb which went dormant last January. It has the appearance that a pink growth point had emerged about 1/2" some time ago but dried up since the bulb was sitting in dry storage on the bookshelf. the Bulb still has good weight so it's not dehydrated but looks as though it went dormant again since it was not planted. Should I plant it now even though the growth point has receeded again or wait until it again shows signs of sprouting?

Oh hmm Good question Josh. Maybe stick it in a baggie with a little moderatlely moist sphagnum to see if you can kickstart it. Troy would probably know best however but think he is out climbing some mountains at this time.

Thanks Tony! I will just set it inside the lowland chamber ontop of a nep pot's moss and see what it does in a week or two. Should I dust it with fungicide to prevent anything going awry during the test? Any suggestions as to brand to use on Amorphos?

Amorphophallus species have been categorized in two groups. One group needs a dry dormancy because they are from places with a dry season. The other group needs a damp dormancy because they are from places where it does not stop raining. If I recall correctly, A. titanum is in the second group, so it can be kept in the growing medium during dormancy. Just let up on the watering a bit.

Back