Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie looking for ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family and I are starting a new Terrarium made from a 29 Gallon Fish Aqurium.
    What I have invisioned is a platform that is raised abou 8" from the bottom of the tank, and stretches about 75% the distance in length across the tank. This platform is where I would like to place my "land" inhabitors. I would like both animals (Anole, dart frog,or Chameleon) and plants (VFT, moss, and ferns).
    Under the platforn is a running stream that is pumped to the open side of the tank and replentished via water fall. In the Moving Stream I am looking to place some aquatic plants and possibly a few other creatures.
    I would love to hear what you have done with yours and possibly some pics. Sorry I don't have any pictures, mine is stilll well let's just say under construction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Hi Dude,

Thanks for Posting. I'm sure you will get many people who will be offering lots of advice and help.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the dart frog and chameleon would probably drown

the vft need a dormancy.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you mix animals with VFTs you're going to run into the problem of the critters triggering the traps to close if they run across them. In such a confined space, that's probably going to happen more often than it would in a more open, natural setting in the wild. Sometimes mixing CPs with critters isn't a good idea.

Maybe some other folks here have done it successfully and can offer tips. Sounds like a neat set up though.

Welcome to the forums, BTW. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh yeah...and we have a forum devoted totally to Terrariums...you might want to search around in there too.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dude -

I have a CP tank with the plants raised up out of the water - they sit in pots on a plastic grid supported by mini milk crates. It's more functional than a thing of beauty.

In the bottom of the tank there is about 2 to 3 inches of water circulated by a submersible pump. The tank is lit fom above by two fluorescent light fixtures (4 bulbs). It can get hot in there so I crack the glass open about 1/2 inch on either side. The lowland Neps and Cephs do extemely well in there.

The critters in there now are guppies and a fire bellied newt ("Smeagol"). There was also a fire bellied toad in there but he escaped last winter. After I water the plants from the top, the water gets all dark so I change it out afterwards. Also, I feed the newt worms (red wigglers) but only when I can watch since I don't want the worms creeping up into the plant pots.

You might try to get some ideas from Black Jungle's website. I was at there store and their terrariums are really beautiful and naturalistic.

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the input. JustLikeAPill that's exactly what my wife said! So I like Wild Bill's idea of Fire Newts and Fire bellied Toads. That a way I can kinda control where the lil creatures can go,or at least where I can grow the CP's although I do love Chameleons the last thing I want to do is drown the lil guy. I am gonna look at the sites suggested and look around for ideas. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havnt heard good things of the live things Black Jungle ships. Poor condtions and such. Can anyone support or debunk that assesment?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never ordered from there but you can get similar plants from Harry Whitmore at Cloud Jungle Epiphytes. he is a good guy to deal with. Jungle Supply(our wonderful host) also sell terrarium stuff so i would check there first. if Phil doesnt have what yah want, get in touch with Harry.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast