Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi im new

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Hi, im new in the forum and having cp, i hope all go fine whit my plants, but i have a problem, and i want to ask us, i buy some plants, dioneas, pinguiculas and droseras, one schizandra come free!!, but i read they are very delicate and dificulty to keep, i see in many dioneas gnat larva, i put them in a trash can with water, in 1 day i see coming from the pot worms, gnat larva (a lot), and nematho somethig, white small worms, then i change the moss of 4 dioneas, i have in other terrarium 1 dionea, the pinguiculas and droseras, they look fine, what us tink is a good idea, change the moss to all or full them of water?, Hi to all and tks for u answers!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi welcome to the forum.

I don't really know about the problem with the worms.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With so many problems, I think I would remove all of the mix down to bare root and repot into fresh clean mix. With so many living organisms it is more than likely the mix is contaminated by excess minerals and insect life that might harm the plants.

I would submerge the entire root ball in a bucket and gently swish it around until the mix comes free. Support the base as well as hold the ball beneath the crown where the rosette is until the weight of the root ball is lessened, and then continue the process holding gently to the base of the plant until all traces of the former mix are off. Trim off all dead material and repot into the appropriate mix for the species. If you don't know what the best mix is, address this question to the proper sub-forum for each species and the experts will help you with that.

Transplant time is also a good time to take leaf cuttings and start them in case the original plants die.

Drosera schizandra should be in long fiber sphagnum, and does best in gentle light, at least until good strong growth is noted. This species also wants higher humidity than many Drosera species.

Most of the plants should be fine if you take care not to damage the root systems, although it might be a few weeks before they recover and make good new growth. If you do decide to transplant, keep the newly transplanted plants out of direct sunlight and give higher humidity along with good air circulation if possible, but otherwise give good light. If you grow in a closed container or terrarium setting, be alert to signs of mold and if it appears, decrease the humidity. Do not feed transplants until new growth is obvious, and keep the roots from overheating by top watering with pure water a couple times a day during the hottest hours of the day.

Check the new pots frequently for signs of fungus gnats, etc since eggs may make the trip along with the plants.

Good luck, and welcome to Terra Forums!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

And enjoy.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Windplant

I think Tamlin has given sound advice so there is nothing left for me to do but welcome you to the forums! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I hope you stick around, learn a lot and have fun.

Suzanne/PAK
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, tks to all sure i stay here for ever!!! = ), but im just scared, abouth that worms, hope all go fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome! I see you're in mexico. cool! I'm from mexico.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast