What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best cp find ever

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lady

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Like I said I made the best CP find today. It wasn't a plant and it wasn't a great CP site. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
I had to take a drug test for my new job. I drove to Wilmington to take the test. I studied for the test by drinking about a gallon of water.
After the test was over, I decided to look for CP's on the way home. I also decided to stop and find the Hugo Neu site that some of you guys have signed a petitions to stop. I found the site, but I couldn't get to the actual site because they had "No Trespassing" signs up. I took some pics and headed on my way.
I don't know the area very well so I just headed down a road to see where I came out.
I came to a road I knew, so I headed towards home. I turned down a road I haven't been down in about 3 years. I went down it looking for cp's but didn't find any, so I didn't have much hope to find any today.
The first thing I found was a FedX truck sitting nose first in a ditch. I snapped a pic as I drove by.
I then came to an area that looked a lot like the Green Swamp. I suddenly realized why it looked like the swamp but if I tell why it would give away the location. Let's just say I suddenly realized that this road should have cp's on it.
I saw an area on my right that looked like it had S.flavas so I turned around.
I was wrong they were just weeds. I was going to the next driveway to turn around and on the opposite side of the road that what I thought were flavas was a nice stand of S.flavas. I pulled off the road, got out and took pics. I also found D.intermedia growing with the flavas. I found a dirt road I walked a few feet down the road and I found a ditch that went about a 1/4 mile full of what I think is U.gibba.
To my horror I saw a sign that said the land is for sale.
Well, after seeing the Hugo Neu dump site, and then finding cp's on land that was for sell, I really needed something to pick me up. I didn't realize that just a few hundred yards down the road was something that will put a big smile on my face and be the greatest find I have ever made concerning cp's.
I got in my van and turned around, headed towards home. I hadn't even got up to full speed when out of the corner of my eye I saw a single S.flava plant, but it wasn't growing like all the others I have found. Instantly I realized that somebody has been mowing around it. Then I saw more and more and more. All of them had been mowed around. Of course I hit the brakes. I saw a house and I pulled into the driveway. I got out and knocked on the door. A little old lady came to the door. I said "I hate to bother you, but is those plants on your property? She said yes but I could tell that she already prepared to tell me that I can't have any of them. I then asked if I could take pics of them. She said "As long as that's all you take" I assured her that all I wanted was pics. We talked about them for a few mins. She told me that it takes her forever to mow around all the plants and that all the land use to be woods but her and her husband cleared it out and she found the plants. She also said something about she wanted them to stay there after she was gone. I could tell she was worried that wouldn't be the case though.
I went to take pics and The land went way back off the road and I found a few patches of VFT's too. All together I would say that there was close to 100 S.flavas on her land.
I couldn't take many pics because my batteries were almost dead in my camera, but I got a few.
Like I said this was the best CP find I have ever made.

hey that's pretty cool! neat old lady!

That is great. I;m glad to see that some people take the time to protect a beautiful plant. I know there has to be some CP's here in GA and there is a swamp in the area, but I guess I don't know enough about cp's yet to know what to look for. How does one go about telling if a site would be good for Sarrs or traps?

Oh and GL with your quiz!!
smile_n_32.gif

wet, sunny.

anywhere theres sphagnum, it's a good place to find cp's.

the okeefenokee (sp?) swamp is the mecca for cp's in GA

One think I forgot to say, the whole half of her yard is not grass, but Spagnum moss with weeds growing in it. So she don't more grass but Spagnum and weeds. lol

Cool.Glad you had such a good day
smile.gif
~Niki~

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ July 18 2005,10:29)]That is great. I;m glad to see that some people take the time to protect a beautiful plant. I know there has to be some CP's here in GA and there is a swamp in the area, but I guess I don't know enough about cp's yet to know what to look for. How does one go about telling if a site would be good for Sarrs or traps?

Oh and GL with your quiz!!
smile_n_32.gif
If you want to find a Sarr site, the first thing to look for are Sarrs. They will be the most obvious indicator of sarrs.
LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]anywhere theres sphagnum, it's a good place to find cp's.
you mean anywhere there's a lot of sphagnum :p I've been in a couple of places where there is sphag. around a pond and around a small stream, but no CPs.
cool lady
smile.gif

Wow that would just be werid around here. Cps would be cool to have in the wild, All we have is grass and pine trees it seems.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To my horror I saw a sign that said the land is for sale.
What if we took up a collection and bought the land? And donated it to the NASC.
smile_m_32.gif

ok now I guess I need to see what live sphag looks like I guess thats a starting point. I have seen nothing but the dry stuff. LOL I know it looks about the same, but still would be nice to see. Also I know sarrs would be a good place ti indicate a sarrs site LOL but you have to know generaly where to look to find that LOL. Sunny and wet I guess is a good start. I guess I need to go explore the fenezee(Sp) swamp we have here. If there isnt any sarrs there what do you guye feel about trowing some sarrs seeds there and starting a spot.

LOL Just kidding I know how everyone feels about that just pulling your chain.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What if we took up a collection and bought the land? And donated it to the NASC.
smile_m_32.gif

You know, that sounds like a really cool idea. I mean, the land would probably be way out of the collection price range, but it's a nice idea, and a nice thing to ponder nonetheless.

0z, you keep telling us how many pictures you've taken, how about postin' them already!
smile_n_32.gif
Congratulations on the find, btw! I found it funny how you said the lady was ready to say "But you can't take any," when you must have been more than overjoyed to see that she doesn't mow over them!

How much is land out there, anyway?

Capslock

Very cool, Ozzy!  And that lady didn't freak out when she openned the door to your mug?  One brave ol' bird for sure!
smile_n_32.gif

And here's all this talk about the pics you took...and I don't see them posted.

smile_l_32.gif

I am also looking into one, PAK.

Yeah, how much is that piece of land going for?

That is definitely good news.
smile.gif
It sure is nice to know there are some people out there who know the plants value in our world.

Good for you! You sure have made some great finds since you've been home.
smile.gif

Well I think I need to explain that the land that's for sell is not the land owned by the women. It's the piece of land down the road where I found the first S.flavas, S.purpureas, D.intermedia, and ?U.gibba?.
I plan on putting up the pics soon. If you go to Ringo.com and join, for free, you can view some of my pics.

Regardless, how much is the land?

Capslock

I'll try to find out.

Back