Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosquitoes - oil on water to kill them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is motor oil, vegtable oil is a very different thing.

Ever rinse a salad bowl in the sink?
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, I've even seen commercials saying you shouldn't pour cooking oil down the drain. They showed someone dumping the oil remmaining in a pan and crossed it out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    and the fact that people do it (rinse a salad bowl) doesn't make it right.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also buy "Mosquito Dunks" from Home depot...which contain a kind of bacterium or something which I hear kills only mosquitoes and blackflies.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]no, I've even seen commercials saying you shouldn't pour cooking oil down the drain. They showed someone dumping the oil remmaining in a pan and crossed it out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    and the fact that people do it (rinse a salad bowl) doesn't make it right.
    Ok, ok. you got me it is bad... But it still will solve his problem...
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, on an unrelated note, I've learned that the Mosquito dunks don't seem to kill CPs. Thats great! I've never bothered asking or trying them before, I've just changed the container water...but this is good to know.

But as for the Vegetable Oil, the container itself is a half-oak barrel thats lined with heavy rubber lining, and the entire thing is sitting in the grass. Some of the ideas I've read were pretty good and I think they would work, but for my particular setup, it wouldn't be the most feasible application.

Personally, I'm all for the fire route myself, but as near as I can tell vegetable oil will not burn by itself. I can add some accelerant to the surface of the water, another oil based product(paint thinner for example), which could get things kick started...but I've also got people telling me not to do it cause they don't want me to blow myself up or seriously catch something on fire.

So, I'll probably go the boring route and try to skim the oil off the surface of the water. Its going to be tricky, since there is still a water lilly in the pond though. Its overgrown and going to be trashed ultimately, so I guess I'll just chop it up until its out of the way.
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are worried about overflowing vegetable oil onto the grass, but yet you are willing to pour paint thinner in your pond??!

vegetable oil is organic..just overflow the barrel, let the oil run out onto the grass, then wash the oil down with a bunch of water from the hose.
    it wont harm a thing..
    much safer than paint thinner or anything flammable.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's something from a cooking website that may be helpful:

Q: What is the best way to skim fat from sauces or stews? -- Jenny Sommerness, Minneapolis, Minn.

A: If you've got the time, the easiest way defat liquids, whether sauces, stews, soups or stocks, is to cool them to the point that the fat rises and congeals into a solid mass that can simply be lifted off.

This is best accomplished by dividing liquids into small, shallow containers and giving them enough time to cool to about 140 degrees, before moving them to the refrigerator. If you are cooking chicken stock, the beauty of this technique is that it allows you to preserve the fat for later use. Simply wrap the "schmaltz" tightly and refrigerate or freeze. Great for sauteing!

If time is not on your side or if you are working with a small amount of liquid -- drippings from a roast, say -- then there are several options.

A paper towel, folded in half, will soak up fat when drawn across the surface of a stew, stock or sauce. Simply repeat with new paper towels, as needed, until you have soaked up all the fat.

Another quick trick is to take a couple of ice cubes, wrap them in cheesecloth, and draw them across the surface of the liquid. The ice attracts fat like a magnet.

Of course, for a mere 10 dollars, you can scrap the do-it-yourself ingenuity and buy yourself a fat separator (looks like a small watering can) that does the job better than any ice cube or paper towel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learn something new every day...
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Mosquitoes - oil on water to kill them, How do you remove the oil later?
    To bad I forget something old too everyday.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12