What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

User space at petflytrap.com

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ July 21 2005,5:19)]Nice flytraps in your avatar. Are those mutants?
Hi Travis,
VFT 'Fused tooth' mutation. One of my favorites since you never know what the next trap will look like.

Everyone's PFT free community account is deleted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ July 21 2005,9:07)]Everyone's PFT free community account is deleted.
What the... Didn't we have 48 hours notice???

MAn..this really sucks!
smile_h_32.gif

I dont blame Phil or PFT..they did what they had to do under the circumstances..but man..
I really hate humans..
why do some people have to be such selfish scum?!
mad.gif

not only did we all lose our webpages and photos, but it also killed many many threads..
check out my "year in the life" thread:

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=16597

smile_h_32.gif

I was just about to do a new update too..
I still have all the pics..somewhere..but I dont know if I will bother to find someplace new to host them.
then I would have to go in and manually edit EVERY single photo to change the URLs so the photos in the thread would show up again..
what a pain.
I really hate people...
you know who you are.

Scot

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Guys,

I really do apologize for the deletion of your accounts. Unfortunatley due to the high security circumstances, we could not afford to wait 48 hours like we had hoped to.

Also understand, the free web space was just that... free. WE started off a couple of years ago stating that you really should back your stuff up ... or make copies, because we weren't sure how long we could support the web space at no charge.

Secondly, it is true, the actions of a few people ruin a good thing for everyone... but we, as a company, cannot afford to take security risks --- especially if/when we have sensitive info on the same server (which is not the case thankfully). But we did have the content of OUR web site and THESE forums. So if a security breach continued, we potentially could have lost the forums.

That being said, I have to evaluate each situation and determine which is the best path to take, and unfortunately it was to remove the user space before malicious activity affected the forums, etc.

In the end, please remember that this is a business. While I do everything I can to supply our community with services (like the forums and web space), I cannot let it take a toll on what pays the bills for a number of people. And I guess... should these forums go rogue - they'd be deleted too.

I do appreciate the moderators more than they know! And I appreciate the majority of the members who comply with our simple 'rules'! But again, let's watch for those who could potentially ruin this experience (forums) and beat them down before it requires me to take action and do away with terraforums.com (which is not even a remote possibility at this time - so don't worry!).

smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But again, let's watch for those who could potentially ruin this experience (forums) and beat them down before it requires me to take action and do away with terraforums.com

Jeese, so violent
smile_n_32.gif

We can always find more web/hosting space somewhere, but another terraforums/pft? now that would be a horrible loss.

lol,
I think most of us would get violent if we had someone stealing resources from us to potentially harm us. Nothing worse than having to pay for the electricity that's shocking you on the electric chair.

As Capslock indicated, we still have the other hosting site, that was provided for us:

cpforums.org photo gallery

I am fortunate. I uploaded mine from disk. So I just have to do it again.

I figure you can not get all that ticked because it was free service.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, there are many members that are on vacation and by the time they get back to TF, they could be in shock. I'd also venture to say that most if not all of us have things backed up in one way or another. It'll just be a little time-consuming to redo.

Yeah it is going to suck for the people that are coming back from vacation...
confused.gif

yeah its not the end of the world. heck ive lost photos before cause the service i was using went belly up and didnt bother to give me any warning. this is an inconvienience to some but Phil had to do what he had to do. no biggy, not the end of the world.

Man that sucks! Just happened to catch this thread. An email would've been nice, as I pretty much don't ever visit the Co. forum. I do understand the problem though. Due to a ruined hard drive, coupled with this development, I have lost all the pics I've taken over the past 2 summers. You never really think to make double back-ups, but I guess things are dictating that you do that now. at least the plants are still alive, can always take more pics.

I bet BobZ is p'd off. all those dead links.....

how about publicly identifying the guilty party(s). i'd like to know if it was an active member, or someone who just joined to use the free space. i think we deserve the right to know who did this to us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]how about publicly identifying the guilty party(s). i'd like to know if it was an active member, or someone who just joined to use the free space. i think we deserve the right to know who did this to us.

Agreed, especially if it was an active member. Two-faced people are especially malicious and should be identified.

No Altrade, Terra forums is not being shut down, just the free hosting of pictures on free user accounts.

Cole

oooooohhh i get it now, thanks colieo! i was kinda lost..

Back