Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a michigan bog garden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi:

I am going to try locating the cps native to Michigan to create a containerized bog garden.

Would now be the best time or would waiting til spring be better to allow more time for them to settle in before winter comes?
    Diana Pederson
    Michigan
    obsessivegardening.com
    christianreviewer.com
    livingwithcockatiels.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a very experienced person from Michigan, who could be of help: Flytrap59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am from Michigan. I would be no help about setting up a bog in Michigan though. I am guessing you would have to put hey on top of your cps in the winter to keep them from dieing *just like you do for roses*.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also live in Michigan. I grow my natives outdoors during the summer and move them in for the winter. Will your bog garden be in the ground? You say containerized so I am assuming it will be above ground. If so, I think you will be taking your chances leaving the plants outdoors since they will be freezing solid and will be subjected to the cold drying winter winds. If you are putting it in the ground, I am guessing you should be just fine with MI natives. I had some U. macrorhiza make it through the winter in my water garden which freezes solid! I took most of them indoors for the winter.

The problem with overwintering indoors is the plants break dormancy sooner than I would like. I have started moving them outside sooner but I lost a few drosera due to frost.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why restrict yourself to cp's? in one section id have taller planst as a backdrop. Queen of the paraie is nice if u can restrain it and have a large area to spare! Red lobelia or cardinal flower gives a nice show. Western shooting star and swamp milkweed are nice. Swamp lousewort is a interesting semi-parasitic plant on sedges. But many of these should be kept away rom cps to avoid shading them out!
    that makes no logic

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooops, I fogot about Travis and Glenn! My apologies! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Glenn @ July 26 2005,11:30)]I also live in Michigan. I grow my natives outdoors during the summer and move them in for the winter. Will your bog garden be in the ground? You say containerized so I am assuming it will be above ground. If so, I think you will be taking your chances leaving the plants outdoors since they will be freezing solid and will be subjected to the cold drying winter winds. If you are putting it in the ground, I am guessing you should be just fine with MI natives. I had some U. macrorhiza make it through the winter in my water garden which freezes solid! I took most of them indoors for the winter.

The problem with overwintering indoors is the plants break dormancy sooner than I would like. I have started moving them outside sooner but I lost a few drosera due to frost.

Hope this helps.

Glenn
    Glen:

They will be in containers. Could I sink individual pots in the container for the summer and then move them to my regular shade garden for the winter? Do they need constant water in the winter too?
    Diana Pederson
    Michigan
    obsessivegardening.com
    christianreviewer.com
    livingwithcockatiels.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your problem in the winter if they are containers will be keeping the soil moist. Winter winds are very dry and suck the moisture out of the soil. If it freezes into a solid block off ice you will still need to check it. The sun will melt the ice and it will evaporate. An in ground bog garden would have a larger volume of water and would be less of a worry. I have kept non cps out in containers for the winter and it isn't easy (heavy losses). I don't have an inground bog so I don't have any experience, maybe someone else can comment on watering.

If you have spare plants, give it a try and let use know how it works out. I just wouldn't include your prized S. purpurea spp. purpurea f. heterophylla in your experiment.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Glenn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast