Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Myth or fact?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the same thing trapper7. LOL I run around or go bobbing my head all over the place. I hate it! The one time I do not go moving around looking like an idiot, I get stung.

I have to first find the stinger before using tweezers. That has not happened yet.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAk, i love sweat bees. Really pretty. Not as freindly as bumblebees but several nest right in the garden. I reecetly discoverd a whole whorde of ambush bugs eating them so i moved them to a yellowing flowering shrub so theyd eat the flies and wasps instead.

Ambush bus are really neat and easy to observe closely. Anyone else ever seen one? IV seem them eating wasps 5 times their size., mostly to iv seen them eating flies and bees.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Someone also told me a baking soda paste is also good but I haven't tried it.
    That may work but my wife read about (and has used a bunch) a paste of meat tenderizer. It neutralizes the venom from the sting.

In general, the bees that you see on flowers are critical to our environment and are are undergoing a crisis with their populations. The Xerces Society has published a few good books on the subject. "Forgotten Pollinators" is one and "Pollinator Conservation Handbook" is another.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]You can still see the venom glands on the end of the stinger pulsing for a few moments afterwards.
    actually I think it's more like a bunch of minutes :P
    Quote[/b] ]I have to first find the stinger before using tweezers. That has not happened yet.
    lol, if you haven't found it by now you're never going to find it. It's really quite obvious. You probably just brushed it off, or misidentified it as a bee instead of a wasp?

I like both bees and wasps, and they are VERY important for the environment. Both pollinate everything ranging from orange trees to milkweed, wasps help control pests like some caterpillars (farmers release parasitic wasps around their crops... which I think is horrible since the wasps also kill other species of insects which are cool/beneficial), aphids, etc. and they're just plain cool. Look at this wasp I found - http://groups.msn.com/_Secure....2985751
    http://groups.msn.com/_Secure....9068018
    If you're wondering what the cotton swab is for, I cought the wasp and wanted to take pics so to make it sit still I made sugarwater and dipped the cotton swab in it, then offered it to the wasp. It also works wonders with moths and butterflies.

Like I said, I like them... although I am a little unnerved if they come too close.
    I also wouldn't consider yellow jackets aggressive. They're curious and bold, which freaks people out, and then they get stung because of swating them and stuff. I've taken pics of them, I had them land on me, a friend even cought one with his bare hands (it landed on his open hand and for some crazy unexplicable reason he closed it just to realize what it was and opened it again) and the yellow jacket just flew away (well, it did try to sting when the hand was closed, as my friend said he could feel the stinger, but when he opened his hand and shook it the wasp just flew away)... and the only time I've been stung by a yellow jacket was when I stepped on their nest... which more than justifies them stinging me. heck, and they only stung 5 times! I step on an underground nest and only 5 stings? I got off easy if you ask me.
    Quote[/b] ]Ambush bus are really neat and easy to observe closely. Anyone else ever seen one? IV seem them eating wasps 5 times their size., mostly to iv seen them eating flies and bees.
    I may have... a tiny one... but I didn't get to see it very well... I forgot why. I've always wanted to see them though.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!That's a wasp??It's gorgeous!I still hate them tho,lol.Here in Canada we have yellow and black wasps,no they're not Yellow Jackets or whatever they're called.~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my second day on the last job I had, I was stung three times by hornets, one on the hand, one on my arm and one right between the eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, it's a wasp. cooler in real life too. The color kind of shifted a little.
    here's a couple more pics-
    yellow jacket
    another wasp
    from the long stinger i'm guessing this is a parasitic wasp.
    bad picture of a green metallic bee
    carpenter bee
    closeup of carpenter bee
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is a bumble bee the same as a carpenter bee?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast