User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 18

Thread: Myth or fact?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a fact that you can take the stinger out? I got stung by a bee and I have never found the stinger. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] Although, I do know that the wasps, yellow jackets, and others do not leave their stingers in. On tv they make look so easy...
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

    http://www.nasarracenia.org/

  2. #2
    Whats it to ya? Finch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes but some species may not have the sting ripped out when they do, i think many solitary bees dont. I could be wrong. If teh solitary bee dies its brood dies, prirod, so no use in dieing because theres no colony to defent. < pure speculation


    just dont squeeze the stinger if u can help it
    that makes no logic

  3. #3
    Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia/Zone 7
    Posts
    10,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard (from a friend who contacted an emergency room after multiple stings), that if you have a stinger in you, you should not pull it out with your fingers as that squeezes more poison in you. You should use a credit card and gently scrape the stinger out. I don't know if it makes that much difference but that's what the ER told her.

    Sorry to hear of the bee sting. I haven't been stung by a bee in many a year other than the nasty little sweat bee that flew up and stung me in the corner of my eye.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I've NEVER been stung by a bee, which is pretty amazing... but I have been stung by wasps multiple times. he he he... when I was little I got stung by a paper wasp (the big red ones) and my friends thought I was going to die! LOL
    then I stepped on a yellow jacket nest and got stung five times... I've also been stung by wasps other times, and by ants probably hundreds of times. one time I stepped on a fire ant nest (I was little and it was at night) and got stung/bitten all over my legs.
    a good remedy are matches and saliva. You wet the match with your saliva and then rub it in the sting. Someone also told me a baking soda paste is also good but I haven't tried it.
    anyway... I know that honeybees do leave their stinger behind because it's barbed at the end, while wasp stingers (wasps are carnivorous as larvae- the adults have to paralyze/kill caterpillars and other arthropods to feed their young) are smooth so they can sting many times.
    Finch, that makes perfect sense... I searched but couldn't find anything about it though. I know some bees don't sting though.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks&#33; (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I tried the cc method the next day *on Sunday*, I got home from an air show and the power was out due to a thunder storm. I never saw the stinger so not even sure it came out. It does not help that I slapped my arm pretty hard when I felt it. I swear it was just a fly bye...Just felt something hit my arm for a second then that was it.

    Those are good I ideas Alpha Wolf...I will have to remember that for next time.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

    http://www.nasarracenia.org/

  6. #6
    Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia/Zone 7
    Posts
    10,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I used "bee" generically to include wasps, yellow jackets, bumblebees, etc. To me, they are all lumped together as BEES...flying insects with stingers. I like bumblebees because they are rational, even-tempered, nonchalant bees unlike yellow jackets that are hot-tempered, vindictive and aggressive.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Indiana
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you might lump them together as stinging insects, but bees and wasps are definitely different critters. Wasps, as was noted, have smooth, hypodermic-like stingers that allow for multiple attacks. They do tend to be more aggressive than most bees.

    *Most* bees have barbed stingers, that are left behind after a sting, and the bee flies off to die. The ER report is right - you shouldn't grab a stinger and pull. If you look at one freshly left after a sting under a magnifier (I know, why would you ever do that?) You can still see the venom glands on the end of the stinger pulsing for a few moments afterwards.

    The credit card method works most of the time. You can also use small tweezers and a magnifying glass, just avoid disturbing the little gland of venom at the end. Sometimes if the stinger is deep, it helps to use a razor to cut the skin slightly, but you should only do that if you know what you are doing...

    As for me, although I've been in close proximity to bees and wasps frequently, I've only been stung once, due to my own stupidity. I was walking barefoot in some clover and stepped on a honeybee! DOH! I scraped out the stinger, and iced my foot for a bit, and I was fine, although embarrassed. Luckily I am not allergic to stings. Some folks are.

    I like bees, and tolerate wasps. They are pollinators for many important plant species, so I give them their space.

  8. #8
    Loves VFT's! Trapper7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Slowly drifting out to sea...
    Posts
    3,036
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not use tweezers?I have been stung many times by waspes,but one time was really bad.I was outside suntanning and they are attracted to the smell of the suntan lotion,so one landed on my back and i freaked out so it stung me and as i was trying to get it off me it stung my thumb as well,then i finally got it off and i rolled over it and it stung my thigh,lol.It really hurt!I've been terrified of them ever since.Everytime I see one,I go running in the other direction,my friends and family think it's hilarious,lol. ~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

    Beware of the yellow snow!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •