Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't worry, god's in control

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 03 2005,12:42)]ok i have ALWAYS wanted to know this. what IS Devil's advocate?
    In common parlance, the term has come to mean a person who argues a position that they do not necessarily believe in, simply for the sake of arguing; or who presents a counterargument for a position they do believe in to another debater. This process can be used to test the quality of the original argument and identify weaknesses in its structure.

(From Wikipedia)
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oooh ok i see. thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott Doesn't suns gos supernova after they become a white dwarf? once all energy is depleated? I thought the results of a supernove was a black hole and the black hole was a dead star. Heck I've only seen a few TV shows about it. People still got my drift. 15 million of 5 billion doesn't to much matter when we as indevidual are going to be dead and gone in less than 100. LMAOPersonaly I want to live to be 4 or 5 hundred, but either we need to discover the fountain of youth or vampires. One of the two. LOL. Alfa had a good point to. The life of the earth might be cut short by a meior or us blowing ourselves up with Nukes, buty I find that far less a reality. It is a big scare but I think even Comunist China knows the implications of lauching a Nuke. I think the only time the nukes willbe launched would be aimed at a metior thats about o to wipe out earth. To me thats more forseable than us blowing ourselves up. Then again I'm no truthsayer or fortune teller.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Alfa had a good point to
    alPHa :P
    Quote[/b] ]Doesn't suns gos supernova after they become a white dwarf? once all energy is depleated? I thought the results of a supernove was a black hole and the black hole was a dead star
    grr. that should really be called stellar development or something. Let me note that that kind of "evolution" has NOTHING to do with the theory of evolution.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution
    Quote[/b] ] I think the only time the nukes willbe launched would be aimed at a metior thats about o to wipe out earth. To me thats more forseable than us blowing ourselves up. Then again I'm no truthsayer or fortune teller.
    not really, nuclear devices wouldn't be used to blow up meteors or anything. I won't go into detail about the types of meteors and what each would do, but basically nuclear devices would be useless mainly because they're not big enough. You'd need a LOT of them. and even if blowing them up worked, you'd still have billions of radioactive pieces falling to eath.
    there are better options...
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not to mention the threat of a nuclar space payload exploding before it reaches the atmosphere. accedents happen.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 03 2005,6:01)]Scott Doesn't suns gos supernova after they become a white dwarf? once all energy is depleated? I thought the results of a supernove was a black hole and the black hole was a dead star. Heck I've only seen a few TV shows about it. People still got my drift. 15 million of 5 billion doesn't to much matter
    A star needs a lot of mass to end up in a supernova.

Stars under 8 solar masses will certainly end up as white dwarfs.

It is possible for a white dwarf to go supernova, if it was the higher-massed star of a binary pair, and ends up as a white dwarf very close to the upper limit a white dwarf can be (they are supported by degenerate electron pressure). When the smaller star becomes a red giant, the white dwarf may begin to syphon material off the red giant. If enough material is accreted onto the white dwarf, it will become a Type I supernova.

Type II supernovae are when very massive stars end their lives.

And 15 million or 5 billion DOES matter if you're a physicist, which I am.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent years studying black holes. Smaller stars can die in explosions known as novas. More massive stars die in supernovas. Even lager stars go supernova, then collapse back into black holes. As far as dead stars go, you have neutron stars, white dwarfs, brown dwarfs, and red giants are dying stars. Still more powerful explosions are thought to occur when two black holes collide, or explode. Theese form super strong gamma ray bursts. Then I forget what pulsars and quasars are. Sarraceniascott, do you know anything about zero point, quantum physics, or psychoenergetics? Since your a physicist and all [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tought brown dwarfs were masses of matter that didnt quite have the mass requierd for nuclear fusion.
    that makes no logic