What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hiya im a violinst

• Thread starter 7santiago
  • Start date
im a violinist, have been for five years

any one play an intrument?

I did play harmonica for a little while, I found it quite enjoyable, but somehow it wasn't really possible to find anyone to teach me how to play, and classes were at bad hours considering my age (too late at night!) I'd love to pick up an instrument some time. Creating music is an awesome thing. I know that we've got a number of people here who play the guitar, but we'll let those people tell you about it themselves.

You betcha'! I have played acoustic guitar (and anything else I could lay hands on) since 1969. My music is my life. I wish I could master the violin (although I call it a fiddle. A violin is "a fiddle what the owner hasn't learned to play right".) Well, just pulling your strings....I do appreciate classical applications as well, but the fire for me will always be from bluegrass and folk traditions - song and dance. I can't seem to master the small scale of the fiddle neck, so now I look high and low for someone who can fit in with my performance group - myself and a mandolin player. Need a job? We'll cut you in for a third...might be enough to get you a new set of strings, lol. Also hoping someday to add a standup bass to the act.

Nothing sings like a violin, although the guitar is far more versatile I think. The cool thing about strings is once you get the scale concept laid out on the neck, it's the same steps for any stringed instrument (at least vertically, and the rest will come easy). Guitar is a great instrument and I would encourage you to experience it! What sort of music interests you?

Here's the thing about learning music: you don't learn it from anyone: it's either in you waiting and wanting to bust out, or it isn't and no professor is going to give it to you. You learn by *playing* your instrument, and loving to play it. We don't say "I am going to work my instrument". You have to play with it, find out what sounds good (do it again) and what doesn't (don't do it again). It has to be fun. Theory does help, but that's pretty much the total show for Mr. Brain. The show then goes to Mr. Heart and Mr. Soul who listen to what the Muse is asking for, or even better: demanding! Oh yes, there is a Muse, never doubt it. That's where the fire and inspiration come from, not out of a book. Music is more than any man. It is a gift shared between the Goddess and Man and utterly impossible without both. When the last quaver and vibration is done, then this SHOW is over. I think the Universe is music.

After all this time, I can still hardly put my instrument down. I am no virtuoso, but you will be hard pressed to find another soul who loves it more than I do.

Play on!

Guitar player here. Been playing since 1978. I taught mtself how to play. Good ol rock n roll, blues and bluegrass. I need to find a banjo player. Hey Tamlin, I would love to jam with you someday
smile_m_32.gif

Tin whistle is a really superb instrument and a lot easier to carry than a guitar!

How do we know the toothbrush was invented by a banjo player? Well, otherwise it would be called a "teethbrush". Snicker.

im not into clasical although my school demands it, i like jazz or bluegrass, im curently learning "when the devil went to goerga", its very hard, well atleast for me, i originaly wanted to play the guitar but my parents wanted me to go to the classy side and play mozzart for the rest of my life
smile_l_32.gif
. they were shocked when i play the yellow submarine by the beatles. i thought they were going to burn the music, i gues they were worried i'll join a band, do drugs and demolish my futue as a docter
smile_h_32.gif
. i love the violin though
smile.gif

I have been playing the clarinet for 5 years, I also want to try the oboe, flute, bassoon, and possibly some of the variations of the clarinet

I've been playing guitar for a little over 2 years. Mainly acoustic but I enjoy electrics.

Cello, for 6 years now. 7Santa, keep up the good work there with classical music. It doesn't stop at Mozart either - just like painting didn't stop with Rembrant.

Don't worry, I do like other music. I just listen to it when I'm to lazy or tired for classical.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think the Universe is music.

It's funny- this topic inspired me to pull out my harmonicas again and give them a look-over and see how they are and do a little bit of playing (if you can call it that,) and I noticed something in the box of my echo harmonica, a note from my Oma (grandmother) with a passage reading

"Wohnt ein Lied
in allen Dingen"

It means, "There lives a song / in all things." Hm, strikes a chord for me (no pun intended!
smile_n_32.gif
)

I did a classical music scholarship for 5 years and learnt to play the flute for over 7 years, but I never had anything to do with classical music once I escaped the drudgery of lessons at school.
I subscribe to Tamlin's (so eloquently put) belief that the music is inside you, or it isn't. You can go through the mechanics of learning but "playing" cannot be taught.
My "inner flute player" may have tried to break out a few times when I wasn't paying attention but I finally bumped him over the head with the infernal instrument, bound and gagged him, and then walled him up in the cellar, never again to see the light of day.

Now if they'd given me a sax, things could've turned out very different...

Cheers, Troy.

i can play the trombone. i don't anymore but i still remember the basics
laugh.gif

my brother plays the saxiphone, i confuse his music with the mating calls of an elephant. hidious music coms from that room
mad.gif
i can see he is improving though.

Bass, guitar and drums. A little violin, at least enough to scare the cats. Some Mandolin.

I thought ya had to be a second generation Chinese-American to play the violin.
smile_m_32.gif

Back