Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chemosynthetic bacteria don't depend on the sun. Their warmth comes from the inside of the earth (hydrothermic vents.. they're not warmed by the sun).
    And there are some cave creatures somewhere (the cave didn't have any streams or anything going into it) including fish and others that don't need sunlight (maybe they do need the warmth though?)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]eventually consume all the phosphate available.
    well, eventually the sun will die
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chemosynthetic bacteria still need oxygen to create carbohydates (and sulferic acid). Again, the cave creatures still need oxygen. Ultimately, all these organisms will need plants which depends on the sun.

Quote[/b] ]
    eventually consume all the phosphate available.
    Well, my point was that even anaerobic bacteria will run out of a food source and die.

Quote[/b] ]
    well, eventually the sun will die
    And once it does, all life on earth would die with it, proving my point if I'm still around :P . Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]And once it does, all life on earth would die with it, proving my point if I'm still around :P . Zongyi
    my point was that "eventually" doesn't matter, that while the phosphate is still there, they wouldn't need the sun.
    Quote[/b] ]The chemosynthetic bacteria still need oxygen to create carbohydates (and sulferic acid). Again, the cave creatures still need oxygen. Ultimately, all these organisms will need plants which depends on the sun.
    are all chemosynthetic bacteria aerobic?
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, if the sun was to just dissappear, these bacteria will run out of a food source, maybe not in one day, and maybe not in a few years, but eventually they will all perish becuase they converted all that can be converted in the absence of sunlight. So, yes, they would be able to live without light for a periode of time, but there life would be limited by the amount of chemicals they need that are at hand for them to use.

Chemosynthetic bacteria need oxygen as a part of their cycle to produce carbohydrates. I know that some of this oxygen will come from vents, but without plants carbon dioxide will also become limiting. So the last bit of oxygen will be converted into C02 by the last aerobic organisms. The Co2 will then be used by these chemosynthetic bacteria, who can be aeobic or as you suggested anaeobic. Unfortunately,the C02 can be used up since their waste will be in sulfer (not more C02 or more oxygen). So where will their CO2 eventually come from without aerobic organisms (since there is no oxygen)?

The earth is not a perpetual motion machine, so without outside interferance (energy from sunlight) the biological cycle will slow down and eventually hault. Zongyi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Volcanoes emit plenty of CO2 and life was quite successful before photosynthesis and oxygen. In fact, free oxygen was the pollutant that caused one of the earth's great ecological crises.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah and I'm guessing hydrothermal vents release a lot too, so the CO2 is readily available down there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I frogot about other gases the vents emit.

Quote[/b] ]Volcanoes emit plenty of CO2 and life was quite successful before photosynthesis and oxygen. In fact, free oxygen was the pollutant that caused one of the earth's great ecological crises.
    Wern't the first few cynanobacteria photosynthetic life forms who depended on sunlight?

I'm really knowledgeable about what various bacteria need for proper biological function, but without sunlight whatever they use will eventually become limiting. As I said before, the earth is not a perpetual motion machine. Zongyi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photosynthesis is a very advanced biological process and a lot of life processes were worked out before photosynthesis.

If the earth weren't geologically active, life would have ended long ago, sun or no sun. Geologic activity causes a flow of heat from the interior and the uplift & subduction of plates, recycling and releasing all kinds of important materials. It might be enough to sustain life even without a sun. But only as long as such spectacular geologic activity continues. So not forever, but for a time measured in billions of years. Life independent of the sun won't be advanced enough to appreciate the Boston Red Sox. Perhaps "simple" anaerobic organisms could cling to deep sea vents and maybe even live deep underground on the continents. Probably wearing pinstripes.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast