What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dino's not nice :o(

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I don't know what to do about Dino.Ever since I put her in her new home she has been soooo moody!I used to be able to reach in there and she would climb onto my hand,but now she instantly bites me,no warning,no nothing.She's still eating and drinking,but she just doesn't like me anymore
smile_h_32.gif
I'm not sure what I did wrong.I was always gentle with her when handling her,but since that day she's become a real snob!I want my old Dino back.I'm beginning to get scared to put my hand in her house cause I'm scared she's going to bite me again.But I don't want to stop handling her because then she will just get worse and worse.Tink,WildBill,ANYBODY have any thoughts or advice??The last thing I want to do is stress her out,cause I know how sensative chams are.But she's really not fun anymore
smile_h_32.gif
~Niki~
smile_h_32.gif

Sounds like the classic case of dealing with a female. You do everything right and she still bites you on the hand? Welcome to the wonderful world of being male. I advise buying something shiny to give to her, and then apoligizing every morning you wake up for something you are bound to do wrong.

Wolf

lmao!i think its hilarious that you think i'm a guy!lol.
smile_n_32.gif
~niki~

No I realize you are not male, I was being slightly sarcastic.

When I saw this topic title I thought you were talking about me.....I still cant get over the fact I share my(male) name with a female chameleon
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When I saw this topic title I thought you were talking about me.....I still cant get over the fact I share my(male) name with a female chameleon

Dino ( I mean Starman here), I though the same thing, and I was about to give Niki quite the mallet! PHEW!

Hey Wolf....whaaaaaaaaaaat was that about females...hmmmmmmmm???
smile_l_32.gif

How about a woman does everything right and still gets lied to? There is no shiney thing that can fix broken trust.

Oh boy what have I done
smile_n_32.gif
Give me the mallet!HAHA!
smile_m_32.gif
And yeah,what is this bologne(sp?)about females??!! You are way off.I agree with PAK
smile_m_32.gif
~Niki~

Personally I just let mine bite me and eventually it must have occured to her that biting made no difference. I would pick her up and she would bite, bite, bite then I would feed her a Superworm or something and I think that helped too. Their bite is a little less than ferocious, like being scratched by a de-clawed cat.

Joe

Well I could try that.But I think it's just instinct to pull my hand away when she lunges at me with her gaping mouth.Sorry about the confussion guys about Dino_Our Dino is very nice
smile.gif
~Niki~

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Aug. 10 2005,12:58)]Personally I just let mine bite me and eventually it must have occured to her that biting made no difference. I would pick her up and she would bite, bite, bite then I would feed her a Superworm or something and I think that helped too. Their bite is a little less than ferocious, like being scratched by a de-clawed cat.

Joe
That reminds me of the incident that happened in our little city. It was in the local paper that a man was charged for animal cruelty because he bit the ear off the dog. He said the dog bit him first. Idiot...Anywho I know this has nothing to do with the topic, so continue on.
smile_l_32.gif

Wow,what a moron! ~Niki~
confused.gif

Do chams have pms??Seriosuly.She is so moody!I tried to pick her up again but she freaked!And I changed my mind,I'm not going to let her bite me over and over again,I'm scared,LOL.~Niki~

Have you tried having food in your hand when you put your hand in the cage? Try pieces of her favorite food.

They do have a cycle they go through but I don't know if there is any hormonal change.

Joe

I tried with food in my hand once(a cricket)but she started to open her mouth to bite me,so I took off quickly,lol.I'm really scared of her!~Niki~

Well........you'll have to learn to not fear her. Alot of pets are potentially harmfull but don't let them know that. However a meleon is not on the potentially harmfull list though.
I am that way with birds - even finches. I know it doesn't hurt and it can't harm me, but I just don't like 'em and won't "take it" until they decide I'm ok

Joe

REMEMBER: Chameleons = Patience

Just curious, was the cricket alive? If not try with live food.

Of course it was
smile.gif
~Niki~

Oh my, my heart did a little flip flop when I saw the title of this thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sounds like the classic case of dealing with a female.  You do everything right and she still bites you on the hand?  Welcome to the wonderful world of being male.  I advise buying something shiny to give to her, and then apoligizing every morning you wake up for something you are bound to do wrong.

Well Wolf, when can I send my husband to you so that he can get a few pointers? I am a firm believe that an old dog can be taught a few new tricks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How about a woman does everything right and still gets lied to?  There is no shiney thing that can fix broken trust.

Well PAK, how about picking a man who has attended the wolf9striker school of male/female relationships or moving on to the next? Once they lie, no shiney thing can fix anything unless of course... it is surgically implanted in their nose so that the man could be led around publicly for all women to see.

And Niki, I agree with Joe. Keep picking her up. By putting her back down after she bites you, you are positively reinforcing an inappropriate behavior. She gets what she wants by nipping you, you reward her by not handling her. Sooner or later she will give up biting you if you try real hard to pick her up a few times a day.

Chameleons are not the best choice for a pet if you want an animal to constantly pick up and or cuddle. They are easily stressed. However, the advice you are getting here is good. You need to get over your fear and just do things matter-of-factly. Eventually it will get more used to you being around and picking it up, but I don't ever think it will become and animal to interact and play with. I have been keeping chameleons since the late 80's - some seem to settle right in and some seem to always remain spastic. By the way SIH, I have an umbrella cockatoo - when he nips you it hurts.

Back