What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you have done something this stupid?!

I'm moving plants in and out of my terrariums and my hands decide to just straight up drop my Drosera madagascarensis onto the floor so that its stem bends all horribly. It seems the more careful I am with things the more I screw them up. Anyone else unintentionally do harm to their plants?

i've accidentally snapped off my fair share of growth points.

one time the cover to my terrarium slid the wrong way and fell right on top of my plants

and i really hate it when you remove a nepenthes, the tendrils get entwined and pitchers snap off.

I've got a book full of stuoid things I have done. But along the lines of what you describe, I received a Byblis liniflora last year that was carefully packaged with lots of tape and a plastic cup for protection. I carefully removed the tape as best I could, but with one unintentional jerk to separate the two sections - the plant popped out and landed on the floor. Though I tried to save it - it was toast.

Yep....been there, done that! I've knocked a nep or two off a porch railing before...

yep! I love it when they're falling down and I manage to catch them though.

So far I haven't had any bad luck yet with CP's other than algea, but I have snapped my share of growth points and spikes off of orchids. I duno if its the same with CP. but if you snap the growth point off an orchid it normaly forgives you by putting out 2 or more new growth points
smile_n_32.gif
I accidently rotted off the growth point of my BC Daffodi and it put off 2 growth points and now it has 5 after the 2 flowered.
smile_m_32.gif

Recently I have sort of been "shuttleing" some of my plants from my terrerium to the window to get more sun. I dropped one at least three times, but luckly all I lost was one drosera seedling.

JLAP wrote
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and i really hate it when you remove a nepenthes, the tendrils get entwined and pitchers snap off.
Just done that to my burbidgeae
mad.gif

Wow, I hope I never do that to one of my Neps! Although I'm sure I'm more than capable of it
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tonyc @ Aug. 17 2005,4:30)]JLAP wrote
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and i really hate it when you remove a nepenthes, the tendrils get entwined and pitchers snap off.
Just done that to my burbidgeae
mad.gif
I just lost my burbidgeae.
smile_h_32.gif

My burbidgeae wasn't pitchering properly, and I was told it might do better in a more shaded position.
So, I tried to move it and it's most promising pitcher was tangled up in a nearby fusca. Of course, I couldn't see that.........

OH YEAH! dropped several 60 dollar plants a couple 30 dollar ones and some that I had to give up my only spare for.

I've fried several poor Droseras. And I managed to lose a red dragon VFT in my fridge that didn't turn up until 3 months AFTER dormancy ended >_<

I think about the most stupid thing I've ever done is slam my head in the car door...and I've done it more than once. It really hurts. It made me what I am today.

Plant-wise? Siting plants in the wrong spot. Putting full sun types in shade, etc. This gets expensive after a while. I also used Safer's soap on this rare plant I had...it did NOT like the Safer's soap, it lost all its leaves and croaked. But it was a rose, and I didn't care that much, but I did make a "note to self" about it. AprilH

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Aug. 17 2005,11:17)]I think about the most stupid thing I've ever done is slam my head in the car door...and I've done it more than once. It really hurts.  It made me what I am today.
"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do that." "Don't do that!"

Several weeks ago I put 4 hanging baskets worth of Neps under the overhang of our front porch, giving them lotsa "bright shade". They were doing fine. I thought it would be a good idea to give them more sun, so I had them hang from the eaves. I fried half of them. Two died and the many pitchers turned black. They are still recovering.

Then there was the cobra lily / stream experiment....

"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do that." "Don't do that!"

Ditto, Jimscott! Aprilh

i say things i know im not supposed to say but i feel need to be said anyway weather anyone likes it or not...

But i have learned to not tell people my frank opinion of them (not refering to anyone here)

just yesterday i snapped the growth point off of my N. albomarginata bau spotted.
why?!

Back