User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lions and bears and... elephants?

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Aug. 20 2005,8:20)]I think I have a slightly more practical solution... terraform mars. Move humans to Mars. Leave Earth the Hell alone! I don't think some introduced animals like camels and horses would hurt the ecosystem that much but Lions? and Elephants? Creatures that have nothing to keep them in check? What about our native fauna? This has disaster written all over it and I don't want to ever see lions in my back yard.
    You and no one has the idea of what a seemingly 'harmless' plant or animal can do
    Let me explain....
    Years ago, england used ot have thousands of british bluebell colonies growing, but then someone thought about introducing the spanish bluebell
    Everyone thought it was a harmless little plant with cute flowers. How wrong they were.
    Over the years, the sanish bluebell spread fast, faster then the british bluebell, and then it hybernized and chocked out many british bluebell colonies, and as a result the british bluebell is now rare, much rarer then it was before

And the morale of the story is: You do NOT know what a seemingly 'harmelss' plant or animal can do to an ecosystem. Untill its too late to change things.

And thus, some mastermind also thought that knotweed would be a wonderful border plant......and guess what?
    Its now considered one of the most invasive plants in the whole of Britain, and its a vicious weed that can take months, even years, to completely eradicate from the garden
    The full effects of what it has done to the environment is not known, but I doubt it would be anything good considering how invasive it is
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Starman @ Aug. 20 2005,3:17)]
    Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Aug. 20 2005,8:20)]I think I have a slightly more practical solution... terraform mars. Move humans to Mars. Leave Earth the Hell alone! I don't think some introduced animals like camels and horses would hurt the ecosystem that much but Lions? and Elephants? Creatures that have nothing to keep them in check? What about our native fauna? This has disaster written all over it and I don't want to ever see lions in my back yard.
    You and no one has the idea of what a seemingly 'harmless' plant or animal can do
    Let me explain....
    Years ago, england used ot have thousands of british bluebell colonies growing, but then someone thought about introducing the spanish bluebell
    Everyone thought it was a harmless little plant with cute flowers. How wrong they were.
    Over the years, the sanish bluebell spread fast, faster then the british bluebell, and then it hybernized and chocked out many british bluebell colonies, and as a result the british bluebell is now rare, much rarer then it was before

And the morale of the story is: You do NOT know what a seemingly 'harmelss' plant or animal can do to an ecosystem. Untill its too late to change things.

And thus, some mastermind also thought that knotweed would be a wonderful border plant......and guess what?
    Its now considered one of the most invasive plants in the whole of Britain, and its a vicious weed that can take months, even years, to completely eradicate from the garden
    The full effects of what it has done to the environment is not known, but I doubt it would be anything good considering how invasive it is
    Chill I do not condone releasing any non native animal into the wild. I am against any and all forms of it. I just think though that if this is absolutely positively going to be done I'd rather scientists do it with camels instead of lions. Catch my drift? This is wrong no matter what the outcome is. It's just I don't picture camels and horses eating babies. Besides horses have already taken root over here and are thriving.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you go to the south theres kudzi EVERYWHERE. they brought it to prevent erosion, now it covers pastures, powerpoles/lines, and kills trees.

the kicker is it's edible and full of nutrients. we could feel alot of people with it but no one eats it. some ppl make jellies from it's flowers though.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Aug. 18 2005,9:16)]and elephants kill more people yearly than lions do... and hippos more than any other african mammal (directly... rats don't count)
    Hmmmm, I wodner why elepahants are like that? Perhaps somehting to do with people trying to rip out their tusks and attacking them?

and hippos are just vicious lol
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Aug. 20 2005,1:16)]We already have wild horses in America though and Camels aren't as likely to take over as the Cane toad. Look at the Dramadary (sp?) Camel in Australia. It was introduced and is thriving but isn't causing problems.
    yes but wild horses and burros are destroying habitat for the various bighorn sheep subspecies in the lower 48. so much so that wild horses and burros are the number one cause of their decline at this point. especially since the general public is againt the shooting of thee feral critters.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why people who happily accept chickens, pigs, and cattle living and dying in absolutely barbaric conditions get upset about wild horses and burros being culled to protect sensitive habitat. Maybe all horses, burros, cattle, and ranchers that abuse federal lands should be shot. If they don't leave after a warning shot, of course.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I think I have a slightly more practical solution... terraform mars. Move humans to Mars. Leave Earth the Hell alone! I don't think some introduced animals like camels and horses would hurt the ecosystem that much but Lions? and Elephants? Creatures that have nothing to keep them in check? What about our native fauna? This has disaster written all over it and I don't want to ever see lions in my back yard.
    I'm quite certain that terraforming Mars isn't a more practical solution. It'd take... "quite a while." See, what I find funny is that you (and many others) are saying, preserve our ecosystem- go change Mars! While it's not in your back yard any more, it's still a big deal. If there is even one colony of one milimeter worms found, I'd say terraforming isn't worth it. What I would rather see is the opposite of what we have here- instead of having "nature preserves" we have "people preseres." I realize it's a while before we really need to worry about someone trying to terraform Mars, but I suppose it's better to address it early. But unless we have it 100% proven that there is no life on Mars, then I wont support terraforuming (and I'm a pretty scientifically-oriented guy.) If we do terraform Mars, I wanna see it done for Mars' sake, not our own. (just as a note, I'm not trying to pick on you, but I think it's an important issue.)

Yeah, I think introducting elephants would be pretty much darn impossible. It takes a lot of force to keep an elephant from just going where ever it wants. You bring up a good point about native megafauna- we shouldn't me importing from other places when we've got plenty of our OWN endanged predators. Of course, there have been attempts to get bear numbers and wolf numbers up- but we then have cow-people pooping in their pampers and hopping up and down, then taking in to consideration our governments association with big buisness, well it doesn't look like we'll be seeing Mountain lions, or bears, or any of our own stuff being given a hand any time soon.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The horse family originated in north america but died out here a couple thousand years ago, wich is a blip in time compared to other similar things.

They protest because there pretty horsies
    that makes no logic

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast