User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lions and bears and... elephants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science....ap/index.html

Basically: Several prominent ecologists have pitched the idea of introducing Lions and Elephants and other large african mammals to the US Great Plains, both to save them from extinction and repair North America's biodiversity by restoring the large mammals that have been absent form it sicne humans overran the continent several hundred thousand years ago.

Discuss.

The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, of course i'm VERY skeptical about it. Who knows what unintended side effects that could have? what if they start tearing down trees (the elephants) like they do in africa? if they start doing bad things... what then? will they just kill them all or put them back in zoos?
    and just IMAGINE what the cattle ranchers will do if they find out they're going to introduce LIONS! If reintroducing WOLVES was met with a LOT of opposition, there'll be murders with lions!

so I'm against it.

it WOULD be interesting though... and if it worked, you'd be killing two birds with one stone.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are so many things wrong with this idea that it's impossible for me to condense them all into one post. except for, possibly, "how dare these people call themselves ecologists."

yes. let's take species that we've already pretty much doomed to extinction, and import them into an already endangered ecosystem so we can wipe out even MORE species and just generally screw up the entire north american ecosystem. worse than we already have, that is. wow, what a great idea! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

not that it would ever (could ever) happen... we can't even get wolves, a native species, reintroduced into the Northeast. what makes you think ranchers are going to allow lions to freely roam the plains?
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont we have an elephant sanctuary in tennesee?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Lions eat people
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and elephants kill more people yearly than lions do... and hippos more than any other african mammal (directly... rats don't count)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lead author is a PhD student and the whole thing sounds too much like a Friday night of beer & pizza gone truly wrong. Our discussions 20 years ago skittered off in amazing directions, depending on what combination of geologists, botanists, wildlifers, & archaeologists showed up that night. We were no less fantastical, but we didn't have Ted Turner and his $ sitting in. So we were mostly harmless.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frist humans have only been in North America for ~12000 years, or atleast that is what most believe(some say older, but none farther than 25000years ago) anyways second of all the population of humans was so small that there is no concivable way they could have been the sole result of the extinction of these animals. These animals went extinct for a reason, they were not as fit as what out competed them. At the same time these animals go extinct there is a major climate shift in North America. There is geological data for a climate shift and shifts in cultural remains that conincide with a changing enviroment.

My biggest question is why dont these people put the money into restoring the land back to the way it was before humans decided that buffalo(and other native fauna) and Native Americans were not using the space properly and that manifest destiny said lets wipe them all out.

sorry but it sounds to me like they made a mistake and drank the bong water when they came up with this idea.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast