Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'v finnaly figured out what i want to do with my

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with going for a BS in biology with a concentration in botany or environmental science. i'm a bio major myself right now, the great thing about biology is that it encompasses so much, and honestly most of the courses you'd have to take for botany or environmental science are going to be general bio courses anyway. plus, bio is a wide-open field right now if (god forbid) botany/ES ever fell through. my concentration is pre-veterinary, but the reason i chose biology as my major is because i want to know what's out there (there are a lot of specialties in vet medicine!), and i'm just a nerd in general and apparently enjoy massive test stress!

i also volunteer a lot for practical experience (and because volunteering rocks!)... it's amazing what people will let you do if you work for free!!! education is very important but experience is absolutely priceless. try looking for local nature centers or parks that want volunteers, make some connections. trust me, it's worth it.

also, if you're still in school (going by your profile), ask your guidance counselor. this is the kind of thing they get paid for!

EDIT: also in regards to your last post... the math generally isn't what gets people, it's CHEMISTRY. any biology field requires tons of chem. my school (SUNY Geneseo) has a pretty tough bio program, and here you're in for two semesters of general bio, one semester each of ecology, genetics, and cell bio, two semesters of general chemistry, two semesters of ORGANIC CHEMISTRY (dun dun dun), one or two semesters of biochemistry, math through calc 2, and a year of physics, plus your liberal arts classes (humanities, fine arts, etc). oh and THEN you can specialize and take the courses that are actually relevant to your life i have bio friends in other schools and their system is pretty much the same. natural sciences are not for the faint of heart, but if that's where your passion is, go for it.
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    voulenteer.... no one is interested in a high school student volenteer aroun dhere when they can get college kids. Beleive me, i tried and thats basicly what they said to me when i offerd it. Iv been trying for three years but every time a bunch of college kids sing up and my place in the volenteerr list goes out the window!
    I have a severe um... tendency of 'forgetfulness' in math so im really worried abiyt that to be honest. i pull good grades but then i forget whatwere doing.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Aug. 20 2005,8:47)]voulenteer.... no one is interested in a high school student volenteer aroun dhere when they can get college kids.
    be persistant and be patient. i had a hard time finding relevant jobs at first because most animal work in new york state requires you to be 18. and vet schools require that you have a certain amount of animal experience before they let you in. i started my job at an animal hospital by volunteering, but it took me covering it up as a high school "internship" with letters from my teachers and principal to get it. and hey, now they pay me generally, i find that if people see that you're really dedicated, they'll eventually come around. and if they don't, keep looking! also, even if you can't find anything now, pretty soon you'll be one of those college kids looking for experience too! for the record, i started working with small animals my senior year of high school, horses my freshman year of college (last fall), and the marine mammals are even more complicated because that requires 50 hours of non-animal work with the organization before you can work with the animals. and i'm still waiting for the training course! but in the meantime i've learned a lot of stuff, i love educating people about the animals, and the organization apparently likes me too cause they made me "volunteer of the month" out of at least a hundred other volunteers

like i said... be patient, and be persistant. if it's really what you want, you'll find a way to get there.
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your profile says you're in South Dakota, so look at the University of South Dakota and South Dakota State University. As in most places, the State is a land grant university and that's where the agriculture school, the botany, the range science, the soil science, the forestry and so on will be. So it's probably the first place to consider. Get a copy of its catalog or just spend some time looking at the website. There's no need to spend big bucks to go to a national school like UC Davis or Cornell. Go to your own state's school, work hard, and then UC Davis or Cornell will pay you to come for grad school. A MS is the entry level degree for things like your describing.

As for the math forgetfulness; don't worry about it too much. I had to take lots of calculus and differential equations in engineering and it never sunk in until I applied it in later classes. It surprised me when it happened.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also always forget a lot of math stuff, for example I couldn't possibly do any of the stuff I learned this year, but somehow I manage to get B's and C's in my math classes.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123