What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'v finnaly figured out what i want to do with my

Finch

Whats it to ya?
In this age of ever accelerating destruction and loss on our natural heritage, iv figured out now may be the most cruicial time ever in the history of human beings do make a difference. One scientist may mean the difference between a species’ life and oblivion.

Now is the time I can make a difference . And I know how.
I want to dedicate my life to conservation, and more specific conserving endangered species, because many endangered specie sdont have anyone studying them or working up a conservation plan. Especially plants.

And thats where I think I can help.

I want to help save endangered plants for future generations. Not as a botanical garden curiosity of a formally wild plant, but in its natural habitat so it can continue its evolution in the habitat and wild where it belongs. The fist step to conserving species like that is to study them and look for the requirements and reasons for decline and try to rectify them. In some cases Ex situ cultivation is necessary, and in those cases time is of the essence as their habitat and genetic diversity is destroyed. And I want to help.

Buuut... I need some help also. I don’t know what exactly that type of position is called, or the college corses necessary to obtain the credentials to become one.

I know botany is one. The physics requirement will be a big struggle for me, but im confident I can do it.

But I don’t know what the outer courses would be. Does anyone know??

Thanks!

Finch

GL Finch. Sounds like a great way to do what you love. I would love to do botiny if I knew of a good way to make a living here where I live. I wish you luck!!

I would imagine the title would be something like DNR wetlands conservation officer. It would be a great job if you are an outdoorsy type person. We have an Arboretum for the U of M here in Chaska (technically on the edge of Chaska & Channhassen towns in Minnesota). It's where the botany students go (and citizens) can go to see and study all types of native Minnesota plant life. Used to be the students had to wade out into the bogs but they made a great floating wooden catwalk over the bogs so you can carry all your gear and cameras, sketch books, etc and go home clean!

Sounds like a Wildlife Management course I took. I'm sure there is a major for that. Environmental Science, my major, is the general major associated with that.

Finch,
that sounds very cool!
smile.gif

Cornell University has all kinds of programs and courses in botany/horticulture and related sciences..
you might be able to get an idea of what is required by digging around their webpage:

http://www.cornell.edu/academics/departments.cfm

Scot

Sounds good.

good luck! i'm sure you'll do great
smile.gif

sorry I can't help with the course issue, but I don't know about myself either.

Did I write that? That sounds almost just like what I have said before.
I wish I had felt the way I fell now before I chose what to do with my life. I don't regret becoming an electrcian, but if I could have done it over again I think I would have done something else. If I could go back in time I think I would have became a wildlife official.

I would suggest taking botany/horticulture as a minor or as a second major.

Biology major with a double minor is what I would recommend. Minors in botany/horticulture and Environmental Economics/science.

DNR jobs are looking for the Biology major, atleast here in WI. I am taking a 2 year degree that is a broad base shot at everything the DNR/Park services does. My program will leave me highly under qualified for a DNR job besides a grunt. However I don't plan on working in the DNR or Park services, I plan to stay private sector.

I'd suggest just starting on a BS in Biology.  The first two years are mostly math and chemistry and physics and foundation biology classes and non-major electives.  Those humanity and social science electives give you an opportunity to get a background in anthropology or political science or whatever.  Like a language.  Lots of important biological literature is in German or French.  But I think becoming fluent in Spanish might be even better.

Go to school at a good public university, not an overpriced private one.  I had a couple small and one significant change of major by the time I began my third year.  It took me five years to graduate but, because it was in-state tuition, it was possible.  My neighbor's daughter decided to go to an expensive private school and wanted to change her major after two years.  But the extra year would have been without financial assistance and she couldn't do it.  So the difference in tuition is why I got a degree I wanted and she didn't.

The most important thing is to throw everything you have into whatever you choose to do.  And notice that the forum member who seems to be most deeply immersed in CPs (and swamp water) is an electrician.  A lot of people with great biology credentials spend their lives rubberstamping permits to disturb wetlands.  Few lead Ozzy's life.

Finch,

Along with making some recommendations, I’d like to address your comment “Not as a botanical garden curiosity of a formally wild plant, but in its natural habitat so it can continue its evolution in the habitat and wild where it belongs.” Keeping extinct or nearly extinct plants as oddities is something that very few botanical gardens do anymore. Nowadays, numerous public gardens (botanical gardens and arboreta) are leading the fight to keep plants from becoming extinct through numerous conservation, research, and educational activities. Just as one example, here at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, we have for eight years been conducting one of the few longitudinal studies in existence of Cypridium acaule – the pink lady’s slipper orchid, of which we have several thousand growing naturally on our grounds. The umbrella organization that covers most public gardens in North America is the AABGA (American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta), within which, there is a committee that oversees the conservation activities engaged in by public gardens. The mission of the AABGA is ”dedicated to promoting people's appreciation and understanding of the irreplaceable value of plants.” See: http://www.aabga.org/public_....7498579
Another organization you should be aware of the BGCI (Botanic Gardens Conservation International) at http://www.bgci.org.uk/

Regarding your career interests, I applaud and admire you for taking an interest in what I believe is a most noble pursuit. You have age on your side and have lots of time to decide exactly what you want to do. In my forties I decided I wanted out of the medical field and wanted instead to spend the rest of my life helping people understand, value and enjoy plants. Some people have recommended you getting a degree in biology. Indeed, this would be good if you wanted to learn about a more diverse litany of subjects in the plant AND animal world. If you were specifically interested in plants, I would go for botany, or plant science. I obtained an undergraduate degree in plant science, and was then awarded a full fellowship for a master’s degree in public garden management at Cornell. The type of subjects I suggest you explore taking are: botany, plant physiology, taxonomy, integrated pest management, water resources, plant pathology, entomology, arboriculture, plant identification courses, geographic information systems, environmental design, soil science, etc. Fortunately I have never had to take physics!

Please contact me if I can answer any questions.

John

Hortman knows what he's talking about. My reason for recommending biology instead of botany is you'll see a wider range of things the first couple years. It never occurred to me to head into geology until I took the Geology for Engineers class as a sophomore Civil Engineer major. So I think new students should keep their options open.

A lot depends, however, on what school you find yourself at. Some schools have created an artificially sharp boundary between the animal people and the plant people (and the microbe people too). A new biology student there might see very little botany. But that's what electives are for.

I am working on getting a degree in Natural Areas Management, but I also will have to take regular biology, botany and horticulture classes. It's probably too late for me to make a career in this area, but I want the knowledge more than anything. Good for you for starting young.

Awesome, Finch! You'll also want to check out Environmental Science/Studies.

Look at some schools with strong plant biology departments: The Ohio State University, UC Davis and Cornell (Ithaca, NY) are some that I know about. As a biology or botony major you will have to take classes in general chemistry, organic chemistry, general physics, as well as math up to some calculus.

Thank you very much for your support and suggestions on courses everyone. I have a lot of stuff to look into
smile.gif

LOL. No, ozzy, thats not your words, although it is very much true and is self-evident to many people so i might not be surprised if something similar to what i said may be in this forum somewhere.

Hortman, I know botanical gardens are actively participating in saving endangered species, but they also contain species extinct in the wild and for whatever reason cant be returned. Without a firm genetic base the possibility that some plants can survive in the wild is slight.

My only stumbling block now would be the math, but i think ill be able to handle it.

Environmental science and botany eh? I thought there was something more specific than that.... and i suppose i should do geology too becasus soils are important to the plant life. Actually i think soil sciences would be more specific.

I have a lot to think about.

Thanks again all.

i agree with going for a BS in biology with a concentration in botany or environmental science. i'm a bio major myself right now, the great thing about biology is that it encompasses so much, and honestly most of the courses you'd have to take for botany or environmental science are going to be general bio courses anyway. plus, bio is a wide-open field right now if (god forbid) botany/ES ever fell through. my concentration is pre-veterinary, but the reason i chose biology as my major is because i want to know what's out there (there are a lot of specialties in vet medicine!), and i'm just a nerd in general and apparently enjoy massive test stress! ;)

i also volunteer a lot for practical experience (and because volunteering rocks!)... it's amazing what people will let you do if you work for free!!! education is very important but experience is absolutely priceless. try looking for local nature centers or parks that want volunteers, make some connections. trust me, it's worth it.

also, if you're still in school (going by your profile), ask your guidance counselor. this is the kind of thing they get paid for! ;)

EDIT: also in regards to your last post... the math generally isn't what gets people, it's CHEMISTRY. any biology field requires tons of chem. my school (SUNY Geneseo) has a pretty tough bio program, and here you're in for two semesters of general bio, one semester each of ecology, genetics, and cell bio, two semesters of general chemistry, two semesters of ORGANIC CHEMISTRY (dun dun dun), one or two semesters of biochemistry, math through calc 2, and a year of physics, plus your liberal arts classes (humanities, fine arts, etc). oh and THEN you can specialize and take the courses that are actually relevant to your life ;) i have bio friends in other schools and their system is pretty much the same. natural sciences are not for the faint of heart, but if that's where your passion is, go for it.

voulenteer.... no one is interested in a high school student volenteer aroun dhere when they can get college kids. Beleive me, i tried and thats basicly what they said to me when i offerd it. Iv been trying for three years but every time a bunch of college kids sing up and my place in the volenteerr list goes out the window!
I have a severe um... tendency of 'forgetfulness' in math so im really worried abiyt that to be honest. i pull good grades but then i forget whatwere doing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Aug. 20 2005,8:47)]voulenteer.... no one is interested in a high school student volenteer aroun dhere when they can get college kids.
be persistant and be patient. i had a hard time finding relevant jobs at first because most animal work in new york state requires you to be 18. and vet schools require that you have a certain amount of animal experience before they let you in. i started my job at an animal hospital by volunteering, but it took me covering it up as a high school "internship" with letters from my teachers and principal to get it. and hey, now they pay me ;) generally, i find that if people see that you're really dedicated, they'll eventually come around. and if they don't, keep looking! also, even if you can't find anything now, pretty soon you'll be one of those college kids looking for experience too! for the record, i started working with small animals my senior year of high school, horses my freshman year of college (last fall), and the marine mammals are even more complicated because that requires 50 hours of non-animal work with the organization before you can work with the animals. and i'm still waiting for the training course! but in the meantime i've learned a lot of stuff, i love educating people about the animals, and the organization apparently likes me too cause they made me "volunteer of the month" out of at least a hundred other volunteers ;)

like i said... be patient, and be persistant. if it's really what you want, you'll find a way to get there.

Your profile says you're in South Dakota, so look at the University of South Dakota and South Dakota State University.  As in most places, the State is a land grant university and that's where the agriculture school, the botany, the range science, the soil science, the forestry and so on will be.  So it's probably the first place to consider.  Get a copy of its catalog or just spend some time looking at the website.  There's no need to spend big bucks to go to a national school like UC Davis or Cornell.  Go to your own state's school, work hard, and then UC Davis or Cornell will pay you to come for grad school.  A MS is the entry level degree for things like your describing.

As for the math forgetfulness; don't worry about it too much.  I had to take lots of calculus and differential equations in engineering and it never sunk in until I applied it in later classes.  It surprised me when it happened.

Back