Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'v finnaly figured out what i want to do with my

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

In this age of ever accelerating destruction and loss on our natural heritage, iv figured out now may be the most cruicial time ever in the history of human beings do make a difference. One scientist may mean the difference between a speciesí life and oblivion.

Now is the time I can make a difference . And I know how.
    I want to dedicate my life to conservation, and more specific conserving endangered species, because many endangered specie sdont have anyone studying them or working up a conservation plan. Especially plants.

And thats where I think I can help.

I want to help save endangered plants for future generations. Not as a botanical garden curiosity of a formally wild plant, but in its natural habitat so it can continue its evolution in the habitat and wild where it belongs. The fist step to conserving species like that is to study them and look for the requirements and reasons for decline and try to rectify them. In some cases Ex situ cultivation is necessary, and in those cases time is of the essence as their habitat and genetic diversity is destroyed. And I want to help.

Buuut... I need some help also. I donít know what exactly that type of position is called, or the college corses necessary to obtain the credentials to become one.

I know botany is one. The physics requirement will be a big struggle for me, but im confident I can do it.

But I donít know what the outer courses would be. Does anyone know??

Thanks!

Finch
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GL Finch. Sounds like a great way to do what you love. I would love to do botiny if I knew of a good way to make a living here where I live. I wish you luck!!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would imagine the title would be something like DNR wetlands conservation officer. It would be a great job if you are an outdoorsy type person. We have an Arboretum for the U of M here in Chaska (technically on the edge of Chaska & Channhassen towns in Minnesota). It's where the botany students go (and citizens) can go to see and study all types of native Minnesota plant life. Used to be the students had to wade out into the bogs but they made a great floating wooden catwalk over the bogs so you can carry all your gear and cameras, sketch books, etc and go home clean!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a Wildlife Management course I took. I'm sure there is a major for that. Environmental Science, my major, is the general major associated with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch,
    that sounds very cool! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Cornell University has all kinds of programs and courses in botany/horticulture and related sciences..
    you might be able to get an idea of what is required by digging around their webpage:

http://www.cornell.edu/academics/departments.cfm

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck! i'm sure you'll do great [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    sorry I can't help with the course issue, but I don't know about myself either.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I write that? That sounds almost just like what I have said before.
    I wish I had felt the way I fell now before I chose what to do with my life. I don't regret becoming an electrcian, but if I could have done it over again I think I would have done something else. If I could go back in time I think I would have became a wildlife official.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast