Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody invest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm brand new to the world of investing. I just started up some mutual funds through an investor and was thinking about buying some stocks. I have no idea where to begin though. There's some nice online sites for trading, but again.........I'm not really too sure where to begin. Does andybody own stocks here?

Joel
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have shares of ESOP through the mailing company I work at a few nights a week but the company chooses what sorts of things they invest in. I just know if I leave or they can me I get a nice check!

Our main customers hire us to mail out their monthly and quarterly stock portfolio statements and year end 1099s. I read through the "information booklet" inserts that the companies send to each recipient with their account reports to explain what things mean and I don't understand a darn thing! It may as well be in greek or chinese... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forget stocks. invest in internally flawless gems. when alexandrites came out, they were cheap. now they are about 10K a carat.

buy tanzanites from the D mine. they have ran out. they have tripled in the past few years. anything over a carat is a good investment.

spessartines are an excellent investment right now, too. aswell as burma rubies and natural imperial topaz.

seriously. stocks are too risky. gemstones never devalue and you can't lose money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice would be to invest in stocks only recreationally. Do not put your savings or serious investments into single stocks. It is, however, perfectly good to play around with a small amount. You've done the right thing with the mutual funds, and remember, there is no such thing as a sure investment of any kind.

Be careful with gems, as how you buy them indicates the performance you get. With a few exceptions, gems just increase in value at the rate of inflation. Some, however, go down, like blue topaz. Tanzanite has gone way up. But mostly, they track inflation. The big thing, however, is that if you pay retail, you will not be able to sell your gems at a profit for a long time. The markups can be huge. You have to research your sources, and try to buy from primary dealers. I agree with the advice to stick with high end gems as the markup tends to be lower as a percentage.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can find alot of stuff dirt cheap at pawnshops.

in fact, my mom got a 2.5 carat ring with champagne diamons for about 1800 bucks at a pawnshop. ebay is great too. alot of people sell on ebay or pawn stuff for drug money or when a family member dies and they don't know what to do with it.

tsavorites are excellent right now aswell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since your new to investments I would say stick with the mutual funds as stocks can be risky. Options could work for you, but your going to have to do a bit of learning. Also with the mutual funds you are going to want to check how much your going to get charged on the funds (ask your investor or check the proxy) and also find out if your getting A or B funds... you can ask your investor what the differences are between the types of funds (their are more then A and B). You should also read up a bit on the funds yourself don't simply rely on your investor, and have at least a little diversity with your funds.
    \"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.\" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't invest (more properly, speculate) in gems. Few people have direct access to the market, so you lose big on the purchase and again on the sale. And all it takes is a new source or an increase in production and the price will drop like a, umm, stone.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People spend years learning how to successfully trade stocks. There isn't really an easy answer, unfortunately. Mutual funds are a great start because those people who spent those years learning are now trading your money for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast