User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with cortizone shots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starman, i definatly wont be giving the shot to myself. i could barly stand giving my wife a shot of one of the migraine meds the doctor gave me to give to her during her last really bad string of them and that was a simple shot into the rear. im not taking a big darn needle and rooting around in my knee joints myself. as to doctors at this point there are only two docs allowed to touch my knees. ive had one quack screw up the left knee worse than it was and got me addicted to pain killers to boot. basically the one local doctor i trust said the cortizone shots are the next step since i chucked the Celebrex he had me on out the window when it started causing a whole nother set of issues with my knees that were not acceptable. basically the problem is i have issues with needles and no insurance at this point in time(hopefully the newspaper i work at will have a policy before the begining of the year).
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory steroid that can be given in cases of severe joint pain but does not relieve pain directly. However, it can reduce local pain indirectly by reducing inflammation. The shot can be slightly painful but often local and topical anesthetics are coadministered to reduce this. Side effects, if any, are typically mild and most commonly include increased joint pain hours to days after injection (due to the cortisone itself) or infection. Cortisone's effects last a few days and it's not given more than 3-4 times to reduce the risk of more serious side effects associated with chronic use.

I'd trust your physician's judgement. Medicine is more of an art than a science and complications, when they occur, are typically unavoidable or unforseen as opposed to being the result of negligence.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a cortisone shot. They aren't that bad. What I didn't like was not so much the pain but the fact that you can FEEL the cortisone going into you. Its kinda like a thick, ripply feeling. It was gross and creepy. However, it was very effective for me. I was having terrible pain in my shoulder from a bone spur for at least two years. Sometimes I could barely lift my arm to put it through a coat sleeve or brush my hair. After about a week, the pain went away and I have remained largely pain-free since then. I also needed cortisone for my foot but I requested cortisone pills instead of the shot. Shots in your foot can cause you problems. The pills worked on my foot too but took a little longer.

And I've had cortisone pills many times for bronchial problems in the past. Its effective for that too but when you take the pills...you must be careful to wean off them slooooowly. Come off too fast and the consequences are unpleasant. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mother got a cortisone shot in her shoulder to treat five decades of shoulder trouble stemming from a childhood bout with polio. It was a miracle for her, and she's still pain-free now, two years later.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also had them for my shoulder.I have rotator cuff syndrome,so I started getting the shots when I was just 13.It did help a lot though.Rattler if you're so afraid of the needle,then why don't you try the pills like PAK did,just take her advice and be really careful.Hope it works out for you [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wasnt aware there were pills, i will have to ask the Doc about them
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep...there are pills. There is something called a Medrol-dosepak. You take a series of pills over time. The very first set of pills (usually something like 6 in one day) is the actual treatment. Then you wean off....taper off the pills each day...5...4...3...2...1... til you're done. That's weaning you off slowly so you don't get a bad reaction.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of Celebrex even though it is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. I've had the good old cortisone shots in my knees before as well as in my hip of all places. Not pleasant but no where near as unpleasant as having a bone marrow test or having your knees drained. Come to think of it a shot of Demerol is far worse than any cortisone shot. Here's how it works for me... my doctor will start out with a small needle and he will shoot some pain killer in, then he will insert the needle a little deeper and shoot some more pain killer in. Then he will pull that needle out and insert the needle for the cortisone. By the time I actually get the cortisone shot, I really don't feel much of anything other than pressure at the injection site. Each person reacts differently. The shot could be heaven or it could be hell. You've probably reached the point where you just don't care how much a shot will hurt if you think you can get rid of the pulse that wakes you up at night. I think of aching throbbing joints and I immediately think of Chinese water torture or that short story "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allen Poe. I am not a medical doctor but I wish you would please consider going to an orthopedic doctor to ask if you can have additional testing such as an MRI. If your employer is going to be offering health insurance this coming year maybe you can find out what is at the root of your knee problems as opposed to masking the symptoms. What if this is not just a sports injury related type osteo arthritis and you've got a torn acl or maybe rheumatoid arthritis or who knows what? The cortisone will usually take care of the pain but I doubt it will do much more than that. My other concern with cortisone shots is that sometimes they work too well. You start using your knees again for normal activities because they feel good and you can end up doing more damage. I'd be inclined to go for the Medrol dosepak until you have health insurance and can figure out what is actually wrong with your knee. It's a steroid so if you opt for this route, please consider what PAK said and I'd have to add that you should eat saltine crackers or get something in your stomach when ever you take the meds just so you don't end up with an ulcer. Here's hoping you get some relief and a few weeks of deep sleep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast