Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Garcia postal stamp petition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's OK for Elvis to be on a stamp and who can possibly be shaken by Sir Paul McCartney. But isn't Jerry on a stamp more like seeing Mick Jagger being knighted? That only proved Gimmie Shelter & Sympathy for the Devil were just songs and meant nothing more than Start Me Up. I used to like thinking there was more to them.

I'm no fan of Jerry and just deleted a couple sentences to spare everyone my opinion of his place in music. But if I cared about that whole Dead thing, I wouldn't want him or them appearing on a stamp. It's wrong. But if that's to be his fate, at least we won't be facing a vote whether to show a young, dangerous Jerry or an old, sequinned Jerry. He was never dangerous and never lost the t-shirt.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was never a dead head, but I do like some of the deads songs. I even had the pleasure of hearing Tamlin playing and singing "Casey Jones", one of my favorite songs, for not so obvious reasons. LOL
    Anyway I can respect any man that stuck to his belief and turned down millions of dollars. How many of you would do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with some of what you wrote, Herenorthere. The Dead were just not dangerous enough for me.

Jerry Garcia was not by any means a poor, struggling musician. I believe he lived in a real nice house and drove a very expensive car. Didn't he get busted once in his top of the line Mercedes? Yes, he could have been alot wealthier.

His music meant a lot, to a lot of people. It meant absolutely nothing to me, I dont' like jam bands. But I cannot deny that the Grateful Dead were a huge influence on the music and lifestyles of the West Coast in the 1960's. They were also instumental in the development of the counterculture, which changed the culture in most of the US, they got lots of young people to pick up guitars, and start writing, which ultimately changed music for the better, IMO.

I think he deserves a stamp.

aprilh
    When the mode of the music changes, the walls of the city shake-Pliny
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not? I was a stamp collector at one time, and it seems that just about any slice of American culture can qualify. I will sign the petition. Some of my 'Dead' friends are now into bands like 'String Cheese Incident'. And just to let you know, these are some thoughtful and dangerous bohemians! But imagine this, sometimes, they just like to have fun--for the heckofit--imagine that! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never said i did anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, I don't think it mattered much to Jerry how much money he had, he never thought much about it - it just wasn't an issue, but whatever he had he earned all of it! Except for a few years in the 70's the band never quit touring for more than a few months at a time. The music was his life and his gift to so many of us babyboomers. Ya just had to have been there I guess.

Thanks for the support and kindness from the kind and supportive, and to the rest - have another nice cup of vinegar.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guilt trips will get you everywhere. i will sign the petition now after giving it thought and realizing that he does deserve a stamp much more than Elvis Presley.

My signature is number 13652

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elvis was a much more revolutionary figure than Jerry. I'm sure both would have agreed. Maybe if I had ever tried LSD I'd be a Dead Head and would be clamoring for a Jerry stamp too. I've been told LSD isn't a requirement, but never by anyone who hadn't used it. Maybe the USPS could cut out the middle man and just put out an Owsley stamp.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast