Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Garcia postal stamp petition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would very much like to see a U.S. Postal stamp issued to honor Jerry Garcia. It is required that a citizen be deceased for ten years before a petition may be made. It's been a decade now since this great musician has passed from our world, and the time has come where we may honor the life he gave to the enrichment of so many for so long. For those who followed the Grateful Dead in their 30+ year incarnation, 'nuff said. Here is the link:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Garcia/petition.html

and please pass it on as much as possible if you care to be a part of this. I'm not sure of how many sig's are needed but the more the better! If you have letters after your name, please include them in your signature.

Thanks in advance to all who would help!

A few facts about the career of Jerry Garcia: unlike many of his contemporaries, he did not use music as a vehicle to express his philosophy or political leanings. It was always about the music. He could have used his fame and renown to endorse this or that viewpoint, made political statements, endorsed products to his profit, but he always refused to do these things. Unlike other bands, the Grateful Dead encouraged "bootleg" recordings, and as a result left one of the largest bodies of live recorded music ever as a legacy to those who were there, and are to come. If you haven't experienced it, I hope that you will someday! In a long life of many good things, the Grateful Dead was the cream of joy for me, and if there is a heaven it will look a lot like a Grateful Dead concert. I already have MY ticket, I'm just waiting on a ride.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats so great about him? my dad LOVES the Grateful dead but did he DO anything? i'd be more than happy to sign if he auctually did anything besides sing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was more his philosophy, rather than his singing. Like Tamlin said he encouraged bootlegging. He wasn't in it for the money, and he didn't want the record companies profiting off his music. The music was for the people, not corporate America. Although I was/am not a big fan of the Dead's style of music, I did like their way of thinking and philosophical outlook. Even today there are so many good musicians out there, but they don't fit the "image" and as a result you'll never hear of them.
    there is a pleasure in being mad, which only a madman can enjoy!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so... they didn't do anything then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'd worry about mail carrying a Jerry Garcia stamp. A letter would just meander about without ever actually going anywhere.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Bruce. It would probably have thousands of other letters following the Garcia stamp to every postal destination. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

There have been many musicians, artists and poets who have been honored with a stamp. For all of those people, would you just as easily say..."What did they DO? They just played an instrument." "They just wrote some poems."..."They just made some paintings." You can always reduce any famous icon to a simple statement. Martin Luther King..."Well he just made a speech." You have to know the history a little better I guess to understand who is worthy of honor and who isn't.

Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead are American icons whether you liked their music or not. They are a part of music history as well as a history of deeply devoted, dedicated fans from all walks of life following and gathering to share the total experience of good music, brotherly love and a plain ol' good time.

So why not honor another music legend? There have been many honored in the past and will be many more in the future. Let Jerry stand among them.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP, do any artist/philosophers DO anything? Beethoven? Picasso? Plato?

Jerry Garcia meant a lot to a lot of people, and provided an example to everyone that money isn't everything, and that sharing the gift of music doesn't have to come via Clear Channel.

Count me in!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP, Did you do anything?? What are your accomplishments?? Jerry was a good man, and it was a pleasure knowing him and his ideals. Never had the stuff to play guitar with him (intimadated), but the man was the best. He deserves a stamp in recognition and honor for his contributions to the music world. In the meantime, JLAP, go do something so I can push for a stamp for you!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast