Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane katrina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the Nationial Weather service:

\NWS WARNS IN CHILLING STATEMENT:
    "MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS... PERHAPS LONGER... THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL... HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY... A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE... ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT... AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD... AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND
    EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES... SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED... POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS... AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED... WATER sHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS... NEW ORLEANS MAYOR: "EVERY PERSON IN THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS IS HEREBY ORDERED TO LEAVE THE CITY"...
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 175 MPH... GUSTING TO 210 MPH...
    KATRINA IS A CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE...
    NHC WARNS: ALREADY 26.75" PRESSURE, EXPECT 15" OF RAIN, 25 FOOT STORM SURGE... ON-AIR METS QUOTING 40-FOOT WAVES ON TOP OF THAT!... LAST WORD FROM BUOY BEFORE SILENCE WAS 35-FOOT WAVES... 17-FOOT WAVES APPROACHING GULF COAST ALREADY...
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope nothing happens to the oil rigs!

this past summer i saw a fake-documentary on what would happen if a certain oil rig off the coast of New Orleans was destroyed in a big hurrican. Gas prices skyrocketed so high no one could go ANYWHERE and our way of life went down the drain. i don't remember what happened in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang! That is spooky looking!(Kinda like in Altus,OK when tornadoes came in).
    Wow,and to think a few days ago they where saying catagory 1 maximum. I hpe ya`ll down there are okay! Possibly hurricane all the way up in tenessee?! I guess we`ll be gertting more rainn here in southern Mo
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pondboy,you getting more rain where you live in southern Mo,is not a big deal right now compared to what those people in the hurricane are going through [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] ~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the news specifically to see what was going on. Horrifying and absolutely bone chilling. I feel there will be a tremendous death toll when all is said and done. There are tens of thousands of tourists stuck there who legitimately can’t get out as their scheduled flights for departure obviously can’t be moved up. I get this sick feeling that we’re going to have our own “tsunami” yet bars are still open and it is stated there are “hurricane parties” going on while CNN emphasizes the price increases at the pumps when gulf oil output is crippled??? What strikes me as unfathomable is that many of the people being interviewed in line to enter the stadium stated they waited too long to leave. They also interviewed countless people who chose to stay as well as those who stated they couldn't leave because they didn't have anywhere to go. Didn't have anywhere to go? I don't understand this mentality. When a storm system of this magnitude is on its way... wouldn't one get in their vehicle with their family, pets, as much food as one could pack in coolers, family photos and a few other sentimental keepsakes and start driving? I wish there was some way to get the word out that there are literally thousands if not tens of thousands of families out there willing to take these people in. It has been my experience that Meng-Tse summed up my feelings toward mankind with this statement, "The tendency of man toward good is like the tendency of water to flow downward". In the face of adversity, Americans will provide for one another. My God why didn't these people who claimed to have no where to go just start driving north? Don't tell me that the first Synagogue, Mosque, or Church that one stopped at asking for help wouldn't have put out a call to their congregation asking for members to take them in. When we had the floods around here, even hotels and motels put entire families up for free and that included dogs and cats. I am sickened there appear to be thousands of people who owned vehicles who evidently have little or no faith in mankind who have conscientiously chosen to stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the last evacuation it took me literally an entire day to travel under 100 miles... and that one was peanuts compared to this one. When every road is a parking lot your car just doesn't seem to be the answer anymore. Better to be in a building than a buick when it hits.

Not that it's much consolation, but it's a category 4 now.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A category 4 by only 1 mph. This thing is going to be sooooooooooooooo bad. I mean, the way new orleans is, being below sea level, a high level of poverty, and the region being the origin of almost 1/3 of our refined oil, it's going to be tremendous. There is a good possibility that the storm coul;d get stronger, especially if it slows down, but a slight chance that it could veer to the east. Worse case scenario, new orleans will be utterly annhialated, and left uninhabitable due to the toxic river that will engulf the city. This could be the first time we lose an entire city. Our gas prices are going to sky rocket, and I do not envy those who have cars and must pay for gas. Even so, this extreme jump in oil prices will cause a rise in cost of just about everything. Right now, red cross is prepared to make its largest movement in history. Interesting fact, those who must stay behind in the superdome may face... their own weather. Giant buildings like the superdome, and even massive air hangers have been known to harbor their own weather systems. By weather, I mean small clouds, rain, and (unconfirmed) possibly lightning. The south is in fore all hell, and the fire is just gonna spread to all of us. This is worse than any terrorist attack can muster....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LauraZ5,
    I stayed put when we were hit by 3 hurricanes last year in Florida - Ivan hit another part of the state. I had too many animals to fit in a car with my belongings and family. Charlie destroyed a good portion of my house but by being there I was able to salvage things that would have been lost otherwise and during the next two (Jeanne and Francis). I also understand the no place to go - Jeanne and Francis basically covered the state of Florida. Anywhere I could have driven in the time we had would have still been in the hurricane. I am impressed with the hotels putting people up for free (seriously) most of the hotels here raised their prices last year just before the hurricanes struck.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast