Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane katrina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The refinery situation this hurricane could leave us in should be a wake up call that perhaps it is time to construct a new refinery sometime in the near future. How many years... no decades... has it been since we built one yet our demand has increased exponentially. Regardless, some reports of what may happen after the hurricane passes are rather ghoulish and most disconcerting. Where ever this hurricane hits, human beings from the surrounding areas are going to need services. If any one out there is in a position to donate any amount of money, here are a few organizations that provide disaster relief services and I believe they all accept credit cards-

American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund
    Call 800-HELP NOW
    800-257-7575 (Spanish)
    www.redcross.org

United Jewish Communities
    Emergency Relief Fund
    111 Eighth Avenue
    Suite 11 E
    New York, NY 10011
    call 866-852-4636

Salvation Army
    Call 800-SAL-ARMY
    www.salvationarmyusa.org

Catholic Charities, USA
    Call 800-919-9338
    www.catholiccharitiesusa.org

World Vision
    American Families Assistance Fund
    call 800-700-4911
    www.worldvision.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Buster, I was typing when you were typing and was just notified you had responded to this thread.

Appalling, "hotels here raised their prices last year just before the hurricanes struck". You should post which hotels did this. I have a decent enough memory and I for one would avoid patronizing any establishment that subscribed to those practices and Iím sure I am not alone.

I can appreciate the position you feel you are in. I thought I had a lot of animals but you must have more. Around here, a handfull of people are still providing care for animals that donít belong to them from last yearís floods waiting for owners to be in a position to reclaim them. Iíve actually got two cats at my office that belong to a young man in the service stationed overseas. Weíve taken in an entire family (non related and we'd never met them) before and we're not alone. There truly are tens of thousands of families out there that would take people as well as their children and pets in and I can guarantee that aprilh and her husband here at Terra would take a family in too. Heck we've got so many kids and pets around here as it is a few more would hardly be noticed.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing photos Jan. Its so ominous looking. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] Its frightening when a Cat 1 can kill so many people and do so much damage...then turn into a Cat 5. This is bad...very bad.

I have the TV on a work right now. Its hitting the coast as I type.

Superdome is already coming apart...2 nine-foot holes in the ceiling. I hope that's ALL that happens.

The Red Cross is pleading for blood donations so if anyone is so inclined...that's a good way to help, especially if youre low on money. Blood is free. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

My thoughts are with anyone in Katrina's path.

We are coming up on the year anniversary of the horrendous flooding here from Gaston...and 2 year anniversary for hurricane Isabel. They both struck in September. There are flooded businesses here that still haven't re-opened yet and you still see trees down everywhere from Isabel. At least it looks like this time we won't get hit. It takes such a long time to recover from storm damage.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura on building new refineries, do you honestly think they can build one on US soil that will meet EPA standards?

this hurricane is going to be very bad. how would you prepare a city for this kind of thing? i wonder if its even possibal. sustained winds of over 150, gusts approaching or going over 200mph, 20 ft storm surge. i cant think of any coastal city that could withstand that punishment even if they were at sea level and not below it. ive seen what 100 mph straigh line winds can do in a period of 10 or 15 minutes i cant imagine that and more for hours on end
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lived in Florida for 45 years and have lived through enough hurricanes. Katrina is the last. I have had enough of living in a dark unairconditioned house and eating cold ham and cheese sandwiches for ten days. That is why I sold my house and rented an apartment on the beach.
    When the next hurricane is four days away, I will simply lock the door, drive to the airport, park my car on the fourth floor of the parking garage and board a plane for Vegas or Reno.

This is a photo of the eight to ten foot waves. Notice the offshore winds blowing the tops off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you Lauderdale! I applaud you. My aunt retired down there and she shares the same sentiments. She doesnít have a decent car though so she hops on a Greyhound bus (cheap) and goes to stay with her son and daughter in law. The first time she got stuck. She didnít realize the storm would be so bad because people were all acting as if nothing was amiss and neighbors took care of her. There wonít be a second time. She bails ship now.

Rattler, evidently you are aware of the refinery "situation" however at this point, I doubt the general public is. Everyone will begin educating themselves if gas hits $5 a gallon. Perhaps it is time for the EPA to work with potential investors as opposed to against them. Incidentally, more often than not, I support the EPA. This time, I believe them to have been obstructive and their actions are clearly not in favor of the little guy who is dependent upon a vehicle to get to work to make an honest living.

How would I prepare a city for this kind of thing? Tough question as I do not have the knowledge or experience to be in a position to comment intelligently however I have a few lame brain ideas. Subsidized rapid mass public transportation leading in and out of New Orleans. I'd hire the most competent structural engineers and city planners money could buy and put them on staff for the city. No new structures would be able to be constructed that were incapable of withstanding at the very least, a cat 3 hurricane. Tougher building and zoning laws and it goes without saying... no permits would be issued for additions and/or alterations to existing structures that did not include improvements and/or betterments. I might even be so inclined to propose a cease and desist on any and all new residential construction within the levees unless parking garages occupied the first floor and businesses and retail establishments occupied the next two stories leaving higher elevations for residential occupancies. Existing structures would be grandfathered... until they transferred hands or rather were sold. Bottom line, make businesses pay if they want to set up shop in that city. The other thought would be to require that all future construction be dependent upon site elevation increases. Iím sure there are situations where even a 6í grade change could mean the difference between a property suffering a loss or not. Last but not least, good time for parks and recreation expansions? Seriously, I donít know what Iíd do were I in a position to affect change but Iíd feel compelled to look at long term city planning that systematically and methodically over a period of decades moved the people up or out. Oh yes... one more thing... I'd propose ordinances that prohibited the use of anything other than native plants in landscape designs to better insure that hurricane winds didn't spread introduced species to other areas of the state or other states for that matter. Yup, my own Village is proposing just such an ordinance, again, right now and they would like to prohibit the planting of any species that is not indigenous to North America or a cultivar of same. They almost passed the ordinance last time. There are many communities around me that have chosen this route already and they provide residents with lists of "approved" plants and nurseries that sell approved plants.

So there you go Rattler, how'd I do answering your question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wouldnt say im completely aware of the refinery situation but i know i have more knowlege on the situation that the average Joe. im with you in that i generally support the EPA but we need more refineries and also a very serious look into ethanol production. any engine out there can run on atleast a 10/90 ethanol/gasoline mix, some of the newer GM models can run on almost 90% ethanol. its a renuable resource, the waste products can be fed to cattle and other livestock and is far safer the the risky mad cow disease producing feed that is often used now. just setup feed lots near the ethanol plants. ethonal may not be the answer to all the problems with our dependance on foriegn oil but i believe its a possable solution that can start now. this thread is getting a bit off topic isnt it?

as far as your "how to prepare a city" remarks and ideas. i think they are very good and most high risk areas should definatly take a serious look at them
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New refineries aren't considered profitable investments, EPA or no EPA. They require enormous capital investments over a long period of time and gas prices are too volatile for that. Big companies like reliable investments and more reliable money can be made by putting the same money into oil reserves. And. if they don't build new refineries, major oil companies make even greater profits on the gallons they do refine. They know their economics better than we do and, with their enormous clout, if major oil companies wanted new refineries, they'd have new refineries.

It seems doubtful that ethanol provides any significant energy savings and some analyses say it takes more energy to produce ethanol than it yields. Corn needs lots of nitrogen fertilizer and nitrogen fertilizer production consumes vast energy. Add in all the incidental energy consumption of industrial agriculture and, if there's any energy gain by producing ethanol, it's minimal. But it gives big $ into Archer Daniels Midland Corporation, which has a near monopoly on ethanol production, and to very agrichemical companies. Not to farmers, who'll have to run even harder to stay in place.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals ó but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast