Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] the soul and spiryt is not same, they are very diferent
    so what's the difference?
    Quote[/b] ]and there'll be a point in the future where we'll understand the "wiring" of the brain well enough to replicate it in a way that's biologically compatible (or even biological, but those materials are too slow and inefficient to be appealing).
    I'll see if I can get the article but already people can predict certain things... like what hand you will move, etc. by looking at brain scans or something.
    Personally I believe that if we have souls, so do other animals and likely many other different organisms. If THEY don't, then I refuse to believe I have a soul. My lovebirds have as much "soul" as I do. (I don't know about my guineapig though... LOL jk)
    Quote[/b] ]Well as a matter of fact, it has been proven that humans have a tail.
    no we don't have a tail, we have a coccyx which is a "tailbone" but is different from a tail.
    Quote[/b] ]this used to be our tail when we were apes(and the tail appears on an x ray if you have one done, and you can probably feel it if you prod in the right spot, so it is definetly there)
    key words: used to be.
    and no, apes don't have tails so it wasn't from when we were apes. it was from when apes were monkeys.
    Quote[/b] ]And I think most humans dont want to accept or know that we were apes before
    we still are.
    Quote[/b] ]to be honest, i believe we have an essence. not really a soul or spirit
    I believe (and we DO) that we have a personality, but soul? spirit? what the heck are they anyway? nobody can ever really explain it. If someone is brain damaged, did they damage their soul or something and that's why their "essence" (personality) changed? that makes no sense. I thought the soul was immortal...
    it just makes no sense... how do you all soul believers uh... what about the brain? how do you ... dang it what's the word? make both fit together?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    windplant where did you find that octipi are more intellegent than monkeys? you can train a monkey to do quite complex tasks. I have never heard of an octopus(sp?) doing any complex tasks.

The coccyxgeal vertebrae (yes they are vertebrae) or "tail" is made up of 4 to 5 bones that would eventually form into a tail if humans had a tail. Humans do not so the vertebrae go through ossification into one bone. This is the reason that very rarely you will hear about someone being born with a "tail" that they have removed. It is not a true tail, but instead their body did not turn off the growth of the coccyxgeal vertebrae and they formed what looked like a tail.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Humans are classified by taxonomists as apes; one of the defining derived characters of apes is the lack of an external tail. However, human embryos initially develop tails in development. At between four and five weeks of age, the normal human embryo has 10-12 developing tail vertebrae which extend beyond the anus and legs, accounting for more than 10% of the length of the embryo (Fallon and Simandl 1978; Moore and Persaud 1998, pp. 91-100; Nievelstein et al. 1993). The embryonic tail is composed of several complex tissues besides the developing vertebrae, including a secondary neural tube (spinal cord), a notochord, mesenchyme, and tail gut. By the eighth week of gestation, the sixth to twelfth vertebrae have disappeared via cell death, and the fifth and fourth tail vertebrae are still being reduced. Likewise, the associated tail tissues also undergo cell death and regress.
    Quote[/b] ]Using light and scanning electron microscopy, several detailed analyses of the embryonic human tail have shown that the dead and degenerating tail cells are ingested and digested by macrophages (macrophages are large white blood cells of the immune system which more normally ingest and destroy invading pathogens such as bacteria) (Fallon and Simandl 1978; Nievelstein et al. 1993; Sapunar et al. 2001; Saraga-Babic et al. 1994; Saraga-Babic et al. 2002). In adult humans, the tail is finally reduced to a small bone composed of just four fused vertebrae (the coccyx) which do not protrude from the back (Fallon and Simandl 1978; Sapunar et al. 2001) (see Figure 2.4.1).
    and also look at this

X-ray image of an atavistic tail found in a six-year old girl. A radiogram of the sacral region of a six-year old girl with an atavistic tail. The tail was perfectly midline and protruded form the lower back as a soft appendage. The five normal sacral vertebrae are indicated in light blue and numbered; the three coccygeal tail vertebrae are indicated in light yellow. The entire coccyx (usually three or four tiny fused vertebrae) is normally the same size as the fifth sacral vertebrae. In this same study, the surgeons reported two other cases of an atavistic human tail, one with three tail vertebrae, one with five. All were benign, and only one was surgically "corrected" for cosmetic reasons (image reproduced from Bar-Maor et al. 1980, Figure 3.)

I also hear it's not all THAT uncommon for people to be born with tails. They usually just take them away as soon as they're born, so many times they don't even know they were born with a tail.
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, reading further:
    Quote[/b] ]Vertebrae and cartilage have occasionally been found in human tails. However, contrary to the claims of Gish, Menton, and ReMine, vertebrae are not a requirement for tails. M. sylvanus is a prime example of a primate whose fleshy tail lacks vertebrae (Hill 1974, p. 616; Hooten 1947, p. 23). Several cases are known where human tails have been inherited. Furthermore, we now know the genes responsible for the development of tails in mammals, and all humans have them. Inheritance of the tail structure per se is unnecessary since the developmental system has been inherited but is normally inactivated in humans. The "resemblance" to non-human tails is far from superficial, since all true human tails are complex structures composed of symmetrical layers of voluntary muscle, blood vessels, specialized nerves and sensing organs, and they can indeed move and contract.

For the skeptical reader, probably the best evidence that these structures are true tails is visual inspection. Photographic images of a newborn's atavistic tail can be found at the University of Iowa's Virtual Hospital site, complete with the voluntary contractory movement of the tail documented.
    just imagine seeing a baby be born with a tail and it's moving it.... how weird

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we evolved from Apes then where is the specie link between ape and human? Also usually during evolution doesn't the older specie die out, and the new evolved specie survive (since it was naturally selected for evolution). So why are there still Apes here today?

My belief is the one that is written in the book of truth. We were created by God. God created the other animals/beasts/life and set humans above them all. Whether or not evolution does exist, it's just another creation of God. As for the spiritual/soul discussion: It says in the bible that our bodies are temples that house our soul. If you do not believe you have a soul, then chances are you do not believe in God/Christ, and the devil is winning you [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img].
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WAIT, we still are??, excuse me u still are lol.

My belief is the one that is written in the book of truth. We were created by God. God created the other animals/beasts/life and set humans above them all. Whether or not evolution does exist, it's just another creation of God. As for the spiritual/soul discussion: It says in the bible that our bodies are temples that house our soul. If you do not believe you have a soul, then chances are you do not believe in God/Christ, and the devil is winning you .

Thats true, i agree w that, the soul and spyryt is diferent if u search many info, search abouth this, , well all monkeys, humans and creatures have a nice day [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] , good night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait again i tink this is a must say, i say all i say peacefull!, i dont wanna make some1 get mad..., i know many ppl tink diferent tinks, thats why this worl is so weird! or so common!, lol, i tink this discusion should end FOREVER i mean this si from always, always is some ppl say no and some say yes, imposible all tink same, until there are more cientyfic ppl say we are not monkeys or anyting like that, is more common ppl say yes. , but well who cares!, this is a never ending i say it again, anyway i just say we have someting they dont have, it cuould be diferent named... but my point is we are diferent, but maybe u 2 wont change u opinion, but i dot matter to me, i respect u tinkings, cuz i know many ppl say that, is common, i mean many ppl smoke is that bad?, here can beggin another discusion [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] , so lets talk abouth tings we agree all, plants are cool?, who say no? i tink no1, lol well have anice day ppl see ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]If we evolved from Apes then where is the specie link between ape and human?
    In hopefully chronological order...

Ardipithecus ramidus
    Australopithecus anamensis
    Australopithecus afarensis
    Australopithecus africanus
    Australopithecus garhi
    Australopithecus aethiopicus
    Australopithecus robustus
    Australopithecus boisei
    Homo habilis
    Homo rudolfensis
    Homo ergaster
    Homo heidelbergensis

... with more to be discovered in the future. Plus I left a bunch out because I was really iffy on whether they were ancestors or offshoots of ancestors (like neanderthals). I'm sure some anthropology student will show up to correct me.

It's too bad some of these species aren't around now... it would make people think a little harder about all of this.

And keep in mind today's other apes had their own timelines, branching off from our ancestors (or maybe we did the branching). One can't search for a direct link between species that aren't even on the same branch... they just have common ancestors.

Quote[/b] ]Also usually during evolution doesn't the older specie die out, and the new evolved specie survive (since it was naturally selected for evolution). So why are there still Apes here today?
    Nope. There are plenty of situations where the two species continue on. For example, the same species may live in many different locations, with some locations being harsher and more encouraging of selection than others. But since over 95% of every species that ever lived is now extinct, the odds are usually pretty good that the older species isn't around anymore. And, again, today's apes aren't our ancestors anyway.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast