What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you like dragonflies...

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I just picked up this book at Barnes and Noble tonight:
A Dazzle of Dragon Flies by F. Mitchell & J. Lasswell (the link will show you the book info on Amazon where it's cheaper)

If you have any interest in them this is a fantastic book (from A & M University) filled with great photos and detailed information on everything from life cycle and prehistory to photographing and/or collecting them , making Dragonfly specific water gardens, etc.

Cool. I have a new interest in them.
They are everywhere at work. We have a tank that holds massive amounts of water, It's 15 feet deep and about 2 acres big. Well it's full of tadpoles and dragonfly nymphs. There are thousands of discarded nymph skins on the walls and everything else abouve the water line. This tank has only had water in it for about a month. As I was riding around the tank in a boat, I noticed that some of the "skins" still had dragonflys in them. So I went to some of them cause I thought I may get to see them emerge from their skins. But every one that I found that still had a dragonfly, the dragonfly was dead. Almost everyone that I found dead I saw a spider running away from when I approached.
The water was pumped from another tank into that one. So it probably pumped existing nymphs with the water. But what amazes me is the spiders. Within a month they have discovered that there are insects in the tanks and they realize that the nymphs are helpless when they are emerging from thier skins. They already have a system down for preying on them.

its amazing to see them catch flys, hey whats your job ozzy?

Electrician.

electricity and water tanks?

I'm building a water treatment plant.

Back