Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy low cost pure water,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A deionizing filter simply exchanges the charged ions in the source water (like calcium and magnesium which are positively charged, or chloride and fluoride which are negatively charged) for hydronium and hydroxide ions (H+ and HO-, which are in natural equilibrium with H2O). In our biochemistry lab, we use a deionizer for ultrapure water, because we need very pure water for our experiments which depend greatly on ion concentrations. However, the water which runs into this filter is distilled water. I actually use the distilled water for my CPs and they are doing fine. Besides, how do you know if this system works...when your plants die? There's a reason those RO units cost $200+.

Metals in the air? Typically one only worries about bacteria, spores and CO2 entering from the air and ruining the water purity.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (tink @ Aug. 30 2005,12:51)]adnedarn: enter code :adnedarntheseller: and you'll get another 73% off at checkout!
    She was giving me crap about this post and me sounding like a salesman.... So I messaged that to her just to be a goof. There is no extra 73% for entering that code. hahaha

Wow, thanks guys! I guess it sounds like this thing is a pretty good deal then, and will work for our plants.

lol- I will now stand pround like a flag.... So you maye pledge [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now ain't that just Dandy!

You be da man. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I think I'll wait until there is more hard evidence in favor of the unit. I'll wait until you use it for a while and see if your plants are still living. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Blue light special...aisle 9!!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the water that drips from my whole house A.C. unit, it's the condensation from the humidity in the air. When the unit is run often enough there is no big bacteria pool festering, and the water although not pure is indicitive of what the plant would receive as rainwater. I grow mostly Drosera and purple pitchers which are native to NJ, and I grow flytraps. All seem to grow and thrive using this readily available soursce of water. Plus you can't beat the price!
    I admit I don't know how the water would work with Neps and some of the more sensitive CPs.
    there is a pleasure in being mad, which only a madman can enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmm..sorry guys, but im a little suspicious of this thing.
    it says "Features super activated carbon and color-changing ion-exchange resin."

the key word there is ion-exchange

thats simply a normal ion exchange filter..its doesent REMOVE the mineral hardness, it just exchanges some ions for other ones..
    the water wont end up being literally 100% "deionized"..
    not ALL minerals will be removed..

maybe im wrong, but I dont think this is the miracle cure you think it is..the water out of this thing might still be hard!
    needs more research..
    Scot

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using RO is cheaper than using ion changers. You do not have to fresh up or buy new catridges. As said before ion changers exchange the ions with H+ for cations and OH- for anions. The H+ and OH- recombine to H2O (most of them, there are always some of those ions...read about pH!). So you have to remove the cations and anions sometime or buy a new resin. In RO you have less concentrated and more concentrated water as result. The less concentrated is pure and good for your plants, the more concentrated can be used for "normal" plants which like some nutrients.

Jimscott: Destilled water is definitely purer than water from RO units or ion changers! RO or ion changers are the cheap substitution because destillation is VERY energy consuming. For laboratory purpose many things which need relative clean water can be run with those cheaper tech, the same thing is the "destilled" water you can buy for your flat iron or to fill up you car battery. Its the less pure but acceptable cheap deionised water. In industry standards its the cheapest method, for non chemists RO is cheapest (depending on your water prices...just kidding [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img])

Jan

P.S. The cheapest water is still rain water. Not as pure as destilled but about the purity that is good for your plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mixed bed DI cartridges work fine and will produce excellent water. I have reservations though on how much water it will purify before the cartridge is exhausted. If you have very hard water it will get used up FAST, so you may still be talking .40-.50 for a gallon. If you can't get enough water from Rain or AC run of or something like that, RO would be much cheaper in the long run. The membrane lasts for years and you can make 1000s of gallons of water with just a few inexpensive particle and carbon filters a year.

It might be worth having one around for an emergency though.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use DI water for all that we do. Our blanks, which our calibration curves are dependent upon, come from the DI water. There are naturally occuring metals in the air, as picked up by our ICP & ICP MS. I just asked two of my co-workers about what may be found in the air and they came up with Arsenic, Calcium, Sodium, Zinc, Aluminum, and Thallium. I can't tell you how significant that is, but I've been told that DI is purer than distilled. Rain may be the cheapest, but not always the most available. DI costs me nothing, so I use it at work. For the plants at home, I use whatever rain collects in conrainers I have set out and when desparate I'll fill a jug up with the running streamwater.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast