What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taxonomy nitpickers, i need your help!

Taxonomy perfectionists, would you please look over my growlist (see my sig), and kindly nitpick and correct any errors in taxonomy on my list?

I'm sure I have some things listed as 'var.' that should be 'ssp.', etc.

What IS the difference between variant and subspecies, anyway? When does a subspecies become a distinct species?

Only a couple of minor ones that I noticed during a quick scan.

1. The hybrids should have a "X" before the hybrid name, except if named as a cultivar.

2. U. paulineae was spelt incorrectly. Probably doesn't matter as your plant is dead anyway. BTW, it is named after Allen Lowries wife Pauline- with an ae on the end.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Aug. 30 2005,1:45)]Only a couple of minor ones that I noticed during a quick scan.

1. The hybrids should have a "X" before the hybrid name, except if named as a cultivar.

Originally, i had them written that way. Somebody here told me that the new convention is to leave off the 'X', as it's known, if you look it up, that it's a hybrid. I cannot remember who it was, but I think it was one of the mods.

Does that sound like anything you've heard about? Does it ring a bell to anybody else?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Aug. 30 2005,1:45)]2. U. paulineae was spelt incorrectly. Probably doesn't matter as your plant is dead anyway. BTW, it is named after Allen Lowries wife Pauline- with an ae on the end.

Thanks. Fixed.

If that is truly the case, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Aug. 30 2005,2:46)]If that is truly the case, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.
smile.gif
That's why I'm hoping to get clarification on this. IIRC, the person who told me this said the 'X' may be omitted, not that it was obsolete.

It's optional.  You are correct either way.

Some observations: D. graminifolia var. spiralis - don't think this is legitimate but am unsure if there was a publication at var. level. "var." is a very specific taxonomic rank.

The U. microcalx was almost certainly "NOT" as determined by many, many discussions.

U. sp. 2 is totally meaningless and should be dropped. If this one came from Copper it should be called "Copper's Mystery" or something like that - or better yet, post a photo and we'll ID it for you.

D. capensis "alba" is incorrect and should be listed as D. capensis 'Albino' as it is a legitimately published cultivar.

All in all, nice job at proper nomenclature!

My understanding is that natural hybrids described as species and old victorian hybrids have the X after the Genus name. Modern hybrids do not.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Aug. 30 2005,12:31)]It's optional.  You are correct either way.

Some observations: D. graminifolia var. spiralis - don't think this is legitimate but am unsure if there was a publication at var. level.  "var." is a very specific taxonomic rank.

The U. microcalx was almost certainly "NOT" as determined by many, many discussions.

U. sp. 2 is totally meaningless and should be dropped.  If this one came from Copper it should be called "Copper's Mystery" or something like that - or better yet, post a photo and we'll ID it for you.

D. capensis "alba" is incorrect and should be listed as D. capensis 'Albino' as it is a legitimately published cultivar.

All in all, nice job at proper nomenclature!
Tamlin, have you been looking at my grow list? I have represent 3 out of 4 of those transcriptions!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Aug. 30 2005,12:31)]It's optional.  You are correct either way.

Is either of the two preferred, or more common?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Aug. 30 2005,12:31)]Some observations: D. graminifolia var. spiralis - don't think this is legitimate but am unsure if there was a publication at var. level.  "var." is a very specific taxonomic rank.

I googled, and IIRC, found it shown as D. graminifolia var. spiralis, D. graminifolia ssp. spiralis, and D. graminifolia "spiralis". Confusing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Aug. 30 2005,12:31)]The U. microcalx was almost certainly "NOT" as determined by many, many discussions.

No matter. It is no more, anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Aug. 30 2005,12:31)]U. sp. 2 is totally meaningless and should be dropped.  If this one came from Copper it should be called "Copper's Mystery" or something like that - or better yet, post a photo and we'll ID it for you.

Perhaps i will. It's flowering, but my crappy digicam stinks at macro shots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Aug. 30 2005,12:31)]D. capensis "alba" is incorrect and should be listed as D. capensis 'Albino' as it is a legitimately published cultivar.

These are not clones, but grown from seed. Perhaps "all white", instead?

Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Aug. 30 2005,12:46)]My understanding is that natural hybrids described as species and old victorian hybrids have the X after the Genus name.  Modern hybrids do not.

Tony
So, it should be:

N. X miranda
N. X coccinea

I think those are the only two victorian-era hybrids on my list...

Back