User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxonomy nitpickers, i need your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taxonomy perfectionists, would you please look over my growlist (see my sig), and kindly nitpick and correct any errors in taxonomy on my list?

I'm sure I have some things listed as 'var.' that should be 'ssp.', etc.

What IS the difference between variant and subspecies, anyway? When does a subspecies become a distinct species?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only a couple of minor ones that I noticed during a quick scan.

1. The hybrids should have a "X" before the hybrid name, except if named as a cultivar.

2. U. paulineae was spelt incorrectly. Probably doesn't matter as your plant is dead anyway. BTW, it is named after Allen Lowries wife Pauline- with an ae on the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Aug. 30 2005,1:45)]Only a couple of minor ones that I noticed during a quick scan.

1. The hybrids should have a "X" before the hybrid name, except if named as a cultivar.
    Originally, i had them written that way. Somebody here told me that the new convention is to leave off the 'X', as it's known, if you look it up, that it's a hybrid. I cannot remember who it was, but I think it was one of the mods.

Does that sound like anything you've heard about? Does it ring a bell to anybody else?

Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Aug. 30 2005,1:45)]2. U. paulineae was spelt incorrectly. Probably doesn't matter as your plant is dead anyway. BTW, it is named after Allen Lowries wife Pauline- with an ae on the end.
    Thanks. Fixed.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is truly the case, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Aug. 30 2005,2:46)]If that is truly the case, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    That's why I'm hoping to get clarification on this. IIRC, the person who told me this said the 'X' may be omitted, not that it was obsolete.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's optional. You are correct either way.

Some observations: D. graminifolia var. spiralis - don't think this is legitimate but am unsure if there was a publication at var. level. "var." is a very specific taxonomic rank.

The U. microcalx was almost certainly "NOT" as determined by many, many discussions.

U. sp. 2 is totally meaningless and should be dropped. If this one came from Copper it should be called "Copper's Mystery" or something like that - or better yet, post a photo and we'll ID it for you.

D. capensis "alba" is incorrect and should be listed as D. capensis 'Albino' as it is a legitimately published cultivar.

All in all, nice job at proper nomenclature!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that natural hybrids described as species and old victorian hybrids have the X after the Genus name. Modern hybrids do not.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Aug. 30 2005,12:31)]It's optional. You are correct either way.

Some observations: D. graminifolia var. spiralis - don't think this is legitimate but am unsure if there was a publication at var. level. "var." is a very specific taxonomic rank.

The U. microcalx was almost certainly "NOT" as determined by many, many discussions.

U. sp. 2 is totally meaningless and should be dropped. If this one came from Copper it should be called "Copper's Mystery" or something like that - or better yet, post a photo and we'll ID it for you.

D. capensis "alba" is incorrect and should be listed as D. capensis 'Albino' as it is a legitimately published cultivar.

All in all, nice job at proper nomenclature!
    Tamlin, have you been looking at my grow list? I have represent 3 out of 4 of those transcriptions! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast