Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The oil industry discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (7santiago @ Aug. 30 2005,3:37)]oxygen is what can save us from global warming
    (its lack in the atnosphere is the cause of global warming)
    CO2 is the main cause of global warming. Oxygen and CO2 exist in the atmosphere independently... more of one doesn't cause less of the other. Oxygen doesn't have much to do with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (7santiago @ Aug. 30 2005,4:49)]i wont produce water as a byproduct, it will expel oxygen and co2
    A basic knowledge of chemistry would argue that you are wrong.

H2O --electrolysis--> 2H + O --combustion--> H2O

It is a closed system, if you seperate the oxygen from the hydrogen you then need that same oxygen to burn the hydrogen later. All burning processes require oxygen, burning is nothing more than a really rapid form of oxidation. Without oxygen the hydrogen will not burn and thus you would have no power.

Also, since there is no carbon in the system you won't get any CO2 either.

It is also worthwhile to note that increasing the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere would actually be a bad thing. Too much of the stuff and the oxidative processes accelerate and that means that things like forest fires would be epically larger, smoking a cigarette could actually catch you on fire and your kitchen would be significantly more prone to bursting into flames while you cook. Not to mention that increased concentrations of it are toxic...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I filled up just over 1/2 the tank in my Toyota Camry today (my TOYOTA CAMRY) in preparation for the expected price spike and it cost $35.

Just for emphasis, I will rewrite what I just wrote:

Quote[/b] ]I filled up just over 1/2 the tank in my Toyota Camry today (my TOYOTA CAMRY) in preparation for the expected price spike and it cost $35.
    Gas here in Scarsdale, New York (a suburb of New York City in Westchester County) for regular (the lowest) is $2.959 and I took in 11.828 gallons.

This is well beyond ridiculous. Just venting...

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $2.55 here but it hasnt taken the jump yet from the hurricane.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is it really worth not filling up? Fill up today at $2.75/gal or tommorow at $2.80. Plus if there is a sudden $1.00 jump, you already have it... Maybe it don't matter... But I like to know I bought all the gas I could at the current "Cheap" price. I am currently filling up when I hit 1/4 tank. (about every 4 days) (Driving a '94 Chevy S-10 4X4 I get adverage 18 MPG?)
    To me, it seems gas has been under priced here in the USA for some time. And it is Due to increase. As much as I hate to say it. Where do I get this from? Well, I recall other countries paying rediculous prices for gas for a while already... Admit it, it was gonna happen eventually.

Also, I have found a web site that is supposedly to help us protect ourselves. So take the time and fill it out.
    http://gaswatch.energy.gov/
    Andrew

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was paying approximatly $3.50US/gallon in Canada. Alberta was about $.50 cheaper per gallon than Sask. about the only reason you pay more in Canada is taxes. you figure alot of the European countries that have higher gas prices do not have the oil reserves we do in the midwest and western US and in the Gulf of Mexico.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Canada two weeks ago and canadian television ran several stories on Canadians driving just over the border to fill up. It almost seems worth it for me to do the same thing into New Jersey. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one important nugget of information for everyone out there (and feel free to do the research, everyone in the world is so gung-ho to swallow whatever garbage the popular media spews at them that it might actually do some people some good to do a little research.)

If you take inflation into account the price of oil by the barrel (and consequentially gas at the pump) is cheaper now that it was in the 1980.

Is there anything else our society is so dependent upon that you can say that about?

I also have to say that I have very little respect for all the people who throw fits over gas prices and then happily pay $1 for a 16oz bottle of spring water (for those of you who don't like math that works out to $8/gallon. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] ) Now can anyone offer me a rational explaination for that?!?!
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast