Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The oil industry discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I also have to say that I have very little respect for all the people who throw fits over gas prices and then happily pay $1 for a 16oz bottle of spring water
    very good point and your also right on the inflation thing. however if gas does hit $3 a gallon its going to put a serious crimp on my travel. course than i have to pay to get stuff shipped in. guess im a bit screwed either way.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was taught by my meteorlogy professor at uni that water vapour is the number one factor causing the actual "warming" in atmospheric warming. It's as much (if not more) a greenhouse gas as CO2, which many of us tend to single out as the culprit.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Aug. 31 2005,10:41)]If you take inflation into account the price of oil by the barrel (and consequentially gas at the pump) is cheaper now that it was in the 1980.
    This is along the same lines of what I was saying. It is time. Does it suck? Sure, we want everything to be as cheap as possible. But fact is, it can't be and won't be always cheep.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I also have to say that I have very little respect for all the people who throw fits over gas prices and then happily pay $1 for a 16oz bottle of spring water
    Thank you very much Pyro. I really love those guys in their fancy outfits, jogging down the beach carrying a plastic bottle of eight buck a gallon water. Later that day they stroll into their favorite watering hole, order a scotch and soda at $4.50 a shot (How much per gallon does that work out to?) and then complain to the cute little girl at the bar how much it costs to fill up his Cadillac Escalade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course water vapor is a significant greenhouse gas and the effects of water and clouds are major complications in greenhouse gas modelling. But CO2 increased by ~20% from 1959 - 2004 (see http://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/trends/co2...e_thrudc04.pdf). You can see about 400 000 years of record at http://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/trends/co2...vostok.co2.gif and it shows quite a cycle. But you'll notice even the bottom of the Hawaii chart is beyond the scale of the long term Antarctic data and we're almost 30% higher than the highest measurement in that 400 000 year record.

We're performing a global ecological experiment without any idea of what might happen and that's really stupid. If $3 gas shakes people up a little, I say let's go for $5 and more and try to turn this thing around. Our self-indulgence in all kinds of resources has already set up a chaotic global sociopolitical experiment. Expensive energy can only send it skittering off in new and unpredictable directions. But we and our fellow passengers on earth can probably survive that.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something that struck me in the UK was that their big cars were barely as big as our small cars. Unfortunately I haven't really travelled anywhere else to gain more perspective on little things like that, but it was pleasantly jarring.

"It's not more than you need, just more than you're used to." is one of those telling slogans about our current state. Tunnel-visioned people try to push us into excess to make their profits grow... we follow like lemmings... and we pay for it more and more every day ecologically, psychologically, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yah know Bruce if diesel hits $4 or $5 a gallon your living in a bad place in the US. your bread will get darn expensive. at $5 a gallon its gong to be very darn expensive to plant and harvest wheat and other grains. there are more ppl in the US making $20,000 a year and under than most of you realize and $3 a gallon makes a serious dent in the monthly income of those of us out west.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't say it'll be painless and it certainly won't be. But don't forget the Plains states had a far healthier rural economy when transportation cost a lot more. I'm not saying there's a connection, even though I think there is. But it does show what's possible.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast