Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The oil industry discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I knew someone who had a diesal jetta, and they were unimpressed by hybrids because the already got at least that many mpg with the jetta.

I just googled it... they get around 50mpg.

One of the reasons diesal hasn't really caught on is because the engines are very loud (one of the reasons you can hear a truck idling from a block away). I wonder how the jetta sounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    diesel is more polluting than gas on whats coming out the tail pipe but if your burning half as much deisel as gas does it even out? im not sure, someone else will have to answer that.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple points on diesel, brought to you by Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline/petrol engines of the same power (by approx. 15%), resulting in lower fuel consumption.
    Quote[/b] ]Diesel engines can produce black soot from their exhaust. This consists of unburned carbon compounds. Modern diesel engines catch the soot in a particle filter, which when saturated is automatically regenerated by burning the particles. Other problems associated with the exhaust gases (nitrogen oxide, sulfurous fumes) can be mitigated with further investment and equipment.
    Quote[/b] ]The lack of an electrical ignition system greatly improves the reliability. The high durability of a diesel engine is also due to its overbuilt nature (see above) as well as the diesel's combustion cycle, which creates less-violent changes in pressure when compared to a spark-ignition engine. Unfortunately, due to the greater compression force required and the increased weight of the stronger components, starting a diesel engine is a harder task. More torque is required to push the engine through compression.
    Quote[/b] ]Diesel engines can operate on a variety of different fuels, depending on configuration, though the eponymous diesel fuel derived from crude oil is most common. Good-quality diesel fuel can be synthesised from vegetable oil and alcohol. Biodiesel is growing in popularity since it can frequently be used in unmodified engines, though production remains limited. Petroleum-derived diesel is often called "petrodiesel" if there is need to distinguish the source of the fuel.
    Quote[/b] ]The vast majority of modern heavy road vehicles (trucks), ships, large-scale portable power generators, most farm and mining vehicles, and many long-distance locomotives have diesel engines. However, in the U.S. they are not as popular in passenger vehicles as they are in Europe as they are perceived as being heavier, noisier, of having performance characteristics which makes them slower to accelerate, and of being more expensive than petrol vehicles. In addition, before the mandatory reduction of sulphur in on-road diesel fuel to 15 parts per million, which will start at 15 Oct 2006 in the U.S. (1 June 2006 in Canada), diesel fuel used in North America has higher sulphur content than the fuel used in Europe, effectively limiting diesel use to industrial vehicles.
    Quote[/b] ]In Europe, where tax rates in many countries make diesel fuel much cheaper than petrol, diesel vehicles are very popular and newer designs have significantly narrowed differences between petrol and diesel vehicles in the areas mentioned.
    Hope that helps!

~ Brett

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also on topic of optional "fuels" what about E85? First, what is E85?
    -E85 is the term for motor fuel blends of 85 percent ethanol and just 15 percent gasoline. E85 is an alternative fuel as defined by the U.S. Department of Energy. Besides its superior performance characteristics, ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline; it is a completely renewable, domestic, environmentally friendly fuel that enhances the nation's economy and energy independence.
    Why would you want to use this stuff? Well, as you read here, it's cleaner and made in the usa and such... What about the fact that Right now down the street I can buy it for 2.15 a gallon compared to 3.09 for gas.
    Now who can use it? If you have a newer vehicle, it MIGHT be compatable already! It's called "Flexible fuel vehicles" check this site for more info and see if your car is compatable, and if so- where you can buy E85!
    Andrew

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One downer - from good ol' Wikipedia -
    Quote[/b] ]Because ethanol contains less energy per gallon than gasoline does, fuel economy is normally negatively impacted by about 5 to 15%. Thus, more E85 is needed to do the same work, but this is offset by the lower cost of the fuel.
    ~ Brett

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, that was mentioned on the site given. But not from lack of energy produced. E85 fuel is actually a higher octain fuel meaning it takes a higher compression to fully take advantage of it's power. (for example high performance cars run a much higher compression and octain fuel) But since the vehicles today are made to run on E85 AND gas they cannot give the engins the higher compression needed to take advantage of the high octane. Further info, here is a quote from that site where ford ffv's actually have a INCREASE in HP.

Ethanol has less energy content than gasoline. However, E85 also has a much higher octane (ranging from 100 to 105) than gasoline. FFVs are not optimized to E85, so they experience a 5% to 15% drop in fuel economy. This will vary based on temperature and driving conditions.

For comparison purposes, aggressive driving habits can result in a 20% loss and low tire pressure can reduce mileage by 6%. Research indicates Ford FFVs experience a 5% horsepower gain on E85. The range of any particular vehicle is dependent on the size of the fuel tank and driving habits. Current Ford Taurus FFVs have an 18-gallon fuel tank and will normally travel 350 miles between refuelings.

Andrew
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds interesting but it doesn't help with my 2001 Camry. I'll have to look into it more when people start really talking about alternatives to gas.

~ Brett

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doesn't help with my '94 4X4 S-10 or '01 Saturn L-300 either [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] lol
    -Andrew

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast