What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice evolution controversy article

This reminds me of Existentialism. BTW, how do I know that I am truly participating in a carnivorous plant discussion forum with people halfway around the world?

The banter about scientific theory.

Perhaps you could elaborate jimscott, calling what I thought was a friendly debate 'banter' really doesn't give me much to go on.

You know... one person sees blue and another sees green and you can't prove that one's blue is really the other's green, because maybe she is also seeing blue and you can't prove that each is perceiving the same thing. Kinda like deceiving Professor Moriarty on the hollodeck.

Relying on the five senses when an argument is made goes a long way towards allievating these issues. Unless of course, one is colorblind. That's why science relies on observation, all the instrumentation one finds lying around a lab is there to provide the user with a observable 'readout' for example.

To take a page from the real world: a researcher hypothesizes that some types of dinosaurs share a common ancestor with birds. By providing actual fossils of animals sharing bird-like and dinosaur-like features, which can be observed (in this case by the naked eye, or perhaps through microscopes), the hypothesis is supported.

And of course the obvious rhetorical question is, "How does one know that one's observations are perceiving some sort of reality?"

Anyways, I'm sure you have read that I work in an environmental laboratory. Do you do the same or similar?

Jimscott, I don't understand that argument at all.

I mean, if I say that the sky is blue (which is occasionally true in the UK), all I mean is that I call light of a particular wavelength 'blue'. As I've yet to hear anyone tell me that the sky is green, I believe that most people agree with me.

Do you mean that what I see as blue someone else might see as green? If so, I think were moving back into FSM/IPU territory.....

T.

So how is it that intelligent, informed people can be creationists?  I used to know a geology professor and a physics professor who were.  They weren't Lyell and Einstein, but they were on the faculty of good schools.  Other faculty seemed happy to have them around, but maybe it was because the others enjoyed watching grad students having their entire worldview dismantled after getting too cocky about it.  Don't get me wrong - I think creationism is one religion's myth and intelligent design manages to be both heretical as religion and absurd as science.  Not even one minute of science class time should be spent on either.  But few advocates of evolution can hold their own against top competition from the other side.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The definition of "theory" as per Dictionary.com
I was talking about science.
God is not a theory, not even a hypothesis.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Limiting when applied to YOUR definition of a scientific theory!
no, THE definiton of a scientific theory.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dictionary.com, or virtually any other publicly available dictionary, gives the definition I have given and so this is likely to be more widely accepted.
I really couldn't care less what dictionaries say about scientific terms. They say apes are monkeys. What I had said before:
Dictionaries just define common parlance. They tell you what people MIGHT mean when they say a certain word, which means real scientific words or math words, etc. are not defined how they should be.

I don't care about what people might think a word means, I care about what it actually means.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As I've yet to hear anyone tell me that  the sky is green, I believe that most people agree with me.
What if I tell you the sky is purple? i'm looking at it right now!  :p
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So how is it that intelligent, informed people can be creationists?
the real question is, were they informed about evolution? so far, I haven't found any creationist who really knows what evolution is. They say it's "just" a theory, they say it has something to do with the origins of the moon or something, they say all the species goes extinct when one population speciates, etc. Some were more informed than others, but basically none really understood evolution or the evidence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So how is it that intelligent, informed people can be creationists? I used to know a geology professor and a physics professor who were.
I simply don't believe that.
Proof?
T.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tonyc @ Sep. 02 2005,7:23)]Jimscott, I don't understand that argument at all.

I mean, if I say that the sky is blue (which is occasionally true in the UK), all I mean  is that I call light of a particular wavelength 'blue'. As I've yet to hear anyone tell me that  the sky is green, I believe that most people agree with me.

Do you mean that what I see as blue someone else might see as green?  If so, I think were moving back into FSM/IPU territory.....

T.
Ugh, this is sounding way too much like my Mercury instrument and that calibration curve I have to do and that dratted "second source" standard for my QCS & LFB to show that my standards for the calibration curve, which is relative to itself, is actually giving me correct readings! Please excuse mini-rant! I had to toss my run today because the second source wasn't matching up with the calibration curve.

*rubs eyes* Okay. How do we know what I call blue and waht you call blue is really some universally absolutely true phenomenon that is blue? Maybe what I am calling blue is what you are calling green? Maybe we're both wrong and reality is truly yellow. How can we prove it for sure? Just because there is correlation, doesn't mean that there is causality.

BTW, haven't I seen you on some other discussion forum?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But few advocates of evolution can hold their own against top competition from the other side.
'Most' would be closer to the truth. Really, a large part of the scientific community stays aways from the argument.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So how is it that intelligent, informed people can be creationists?
I've wondered that myself too. I've noticed that for the most part it is scientist who are far outside of biology. But many people are strongly religious (Christian mainly in this case), it is very unsettling to have this concept which seems so heavily in conflict with, well, the Bible (Genesis).

Hi, Jim.
You know as well as I do that the question you posed is by definition unanswerable (unless you're the FSM).
Regarding whether you've met me before, maybe, but unless it was at CPUK I can't place you. I have the same username on all my forums.
Cheers,
T.
Incidentally, I've also spent far too much of my working life calibrating measuring equipment. Just to have His Noodly Appendage interfere.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Sep. 02 2005,12:06)]Wikepedia is even more accepted (dictionary.com and any other dictionary is written by only a few people, Wikepedia is surveyed by thousands) that's where I get my stuff.  I don't know, I'm a 4th year grad student at Harvard University studying chemistry and biology.  I'm Pretty sure I have a good grasp of the definition of scientific theory.  But I guess I'll know for sure at my thesis defense!!
There was an awesome article in Wired about why wikipedia is so reliable and comprehensive. It's like an open source encyclopedia. It's one of those great ideas that you would think would never work, and once you see it in action you wonder why it didn't show up earlier.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Really, a large part of the scientific community stays aways from the argument.
and that's exactly why nobody knows what evolution is!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There was an awesome article in Wired about why wikipedia is so reliable and comprehensive
all hail the mighty wikipedia!!! whooo!
link?
actually... wikimedia... i like wikiquote and others too. it has like EVERYTHING. there's a evowiki, a creationist wiki, a magic wiki, wiktionary, wikispecies, wikinews, holy crap!
they're not nearly as good as wikipedia, but I'm hoping they will grow and prosper (except the creationist wiki... lol)

I looked for a link, but couldn't find it. It's was a big story in the actual magazine... I know that much.

Is this the article?

I posted this thread about Wikipedia a while ago and got no real response so I didn't realize there was so much overlap between the two sites. Then again, I should have figured that the 53rd most popular website on the web would have a lot of overlap. Anybody who wants to chat on my Wikipedia talk page can find it here.

~ Brett

Tony: What's an FSM? Are they anything like the Q continuum? Yes, I was alluding to CPUK.

Michael, et al: I have no problem with harmonizing God creating and utilizing what we call evolution or natural selection as His way of doing things. You will find that there are Christians who take Biblical creation literally (6 consecutive 24 hour periods / 4004 bc as well as many that don't think it needs to be taken literally. I fall into the latter camp. "religious people" and Christians should not be equated. They are not the same. Also, someone who calls themselves, "Christian", as opposed to "a Christian" is entirely different.

Back