What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice evolution controversy article

I have no problem with those who believe that the 'spark of life' was created by god, or some other intelligent being. And most decent scientists have no problem with it, that is one's religious beliefs. Which is outside of the realm of science. The problem I have, and many others have, is that this creation argument has no foundation in science, and therefore shouldn't be taught in science classes, as a science. Sure you could propose it as a hypothesis, but to support this hypothesis it is going to need, yup, observable support.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have no problem with harmonizing God creating and utilizing what we call evolution or natural selection as His way of doing things.
An intelligent being guiding evolution and natural selection perhaps? I, and many others, have a problem however with this concept being taught in the schools as science. Sure it adds the components of evolution and natural selection to keep the scientists happy, and components of God to make others happy. But it is not a scientific theory.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The problem I have, and many others have, is that this creation argument has no foundation in science

True, because truth isn't bound by science. Genesis was written in a way that can be translated several different ways, hence the confusion. But take the prophecies. Biblical prophecies have nothing to do with science, and yet so far all are true.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What's an FSM?
flying spaghetti monster.
nrbelex, weird. I didn't see that thread. We need more CP articles (and other random organism articles too), but I don't have much to add to wikipedia.
Haven't finished the wired article :p
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Biblical prophecies have nothing to do with science, and yet so far all are true.
what biblical prophecies? Mind you, prophesies that come true later in the book don't count.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!! EVOLUTION/CREATIONISM HATH RETURNED!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! Not another hundred plus pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't worry bugweed, we'll stop at one hundred :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what biblical prophecies?

Oh, Israel becoming a nation again is one, also all the details about Gaza and whatnot. I'm sure there are hundreds of websites dedicated to the matter if you really care to find out. Its plain as daylight if you actually read the book, so I'm not going to waste my time arguing about it.

Peter

Um, this is all a joke, right?
I'm starting to think some of you might be taking this stuff seriously.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Sep. 03 2005,1:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what biblical prophecies?

Oh, Israel becoming a nation again is one, also all the details about Gaza and whatnot.  I'm sure there are hundreds of websites dedicated to the matter if you really care to find out.  Its plain as daylight if you actually read the book, so I'm not going to waste my time arguing about it.

Peter
Read the book?? You must be kidding, the Bible is made up of over 60 of them!!! Why not ask for them all and read them individually? Youll soon realise that loads of stuff has been left out and edited and that the Bible isnt all that it seems

Ok then Alpha, when you reach 100, I am going to lock this topic so I don't go insane!!!!! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Genesis was written in a way that can be translated several different ways, hence the confusion.

Translated meaning manipulated too show/mean what you desire?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Its plain as daylight if you actually read the book, so I'm not going to waste my time arguing about it.
But since it can be translated in so many different ways, it's not really as plain as daylight.

Ah, well, I'm going to back out here, as I suspect my carrying on might cause offence.
Best regards to all,
T.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm sure there are hundreds of websites dedicated to the matter if you really care to find out. Its plain as daylight if you actually read the book, so I'm not going to waste my time arguing about it.
Well, if you, who believe it and all don't care enough to tell me,(and who should be the one looking... if you're trying to convince someone of something, you don't tell them to go look it up, you look it up yourself and show it to them) I'm not going to waste my time looking for it.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Its plain as daylight if you actually read the book, so I'm not going to waste my time arguing about it.
well, I don't even understand the regular english in the bible, I'm guessing I won't understand the obscure prophesies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Um, this is all a joke, right?
I'm starting to think some of you might be taking this stuff seriously.....
lol. Exactly how I feel about religion.

"RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!! EVOLUTION/CREATIONISM HATH RETURNED!!!!!"
I like that.
I don't understand why these debates continue to rage in thread after thread. Evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life - it deals with organisms changing over time. If you want god to have created life or a primordial soup with electric charges its irrelevant to the theory of evolution. Maybe if everyone would either debate evolution or how life formed instead of mixing the two together you could accomplish something.

I too am getting very tired of the creation vs. evolution debate going on and on, this forum is really not the place for it. There are tons of forums dedicated to nothing but the creation vs. evolution debate that would be more then happy to discuss it with you.

I just have one question for those who believe in evolution.
What makes something wrong such as murder, rap etc?

For me it is very easy to decided what is right or wrong, "The Lord said... you shall..." and that is final for me.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jeremiah Harris @ Sep. 04 2005,2:14)]I just have one question for those who believe in evolution.
What makes something wrong such as murder, rap etc?

For me it is very easy to decided what is right or wrong, "The Lord said... you shall..." and that is final for me.
It's totally utilitarian to not murder/attack people (wow, the R word is in the profanity filter). If you want to live in a society where you feel safe and secure, there need to be as few murders as possible. Murdering someone obviously accomplishes the opposite, if you keep the big picture in mind. I guess murdering a murderous person would appear to accomplish the goal too... but it doesn't take long to see how that's hypocritical.

In the end, what's more moral anyway... digging to find out what's really effective and ineffective in creating the society one really wants... or doing what one is told to do?

Personally I've found that looking at things as Right/Wrong and looking at things utilitarianily (that's so not a word) tend to bring the same conclusions in the end. And the latter somehow seem to take a straighter, less confuddled route.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Sep. 04 2005,2:57)]Personally I've found that looking at things as Right/Wrong and looking at things utilitarianily (that's so not a word) tend to bring the same conclusions in the end. And the latter somehow seem to take a straighter, less confuddled route.
And 'confuddled' is a word?
smile_l_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Yeah, murdering etc is wrong because it's necessary for the survival of societies. Even animal societies. Maybe they don't have "laws" and it's less organized and everything, but say elephants and gorillas, etc. think it's wrong.... within their society. Just like humans. Going to war isn't inherently wrong...
and go back 2000 years, and you will find that murder, violent act, etc. was wrong. Go back even more, same thing. It was wrong WAY before the bible, koran, torah, etc.
Even places right now... in tribes in the amazone, etc. where they haven't been exposed to western religions, it's still wrong to do things like that.

Look at societies that don't think that's AS wrong, and you'll see they didn't last very long. (or maybe the whole thing, say vikings survived for a long time, but not individual groups)

same thing with all the other emotions, taboos, etc. You can explain basically all of them in the same way you can explain murder-violent act being wrong. They're necessary for societies to survive, and other animal societies have the same things.

so as you can see, religion did NOT come up with right and wrong (unless you want to argue other animals have religion). Religion basically just stated what was already believed to be right and wrong, and everyone was just like "oh yes yes! *nodds* I agree! everything in the book must be true!"

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]religion did NOT come up with right and wrong

Of course not. As you pointed out, people all over the world know there are things that are wrong, such as murder. That's because all of us have a concience built into us.

So why does rap go against our concience? Surely it doesn't harm society - it actually creates more offspring... Elephants and gorrilllas don't think its wrong. Why do we?

Back