What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hummingbird moth

• Thread starter cool85k5
  • Start date
I was outside just before it got dark,and some thing was flying around my cps.It hovered like a hummingbird but it had no beak.I did a Google search and found it was a Hummingbird Moth!If you have never seen one take a look at this link .

Jerry

I love them.  They're the adults of hornworms, so don't kill all the hornworms in the garden.

Yeah it looked cool!It's the first one that I have seen.

Jerry

yep, I've seen hummingbird moths, pandora sphinxes (last year a live one and this year I found a dead one... I let it dry and it's in my room), a mystery sphinx, I've had tomato hornworms (although they got parasitized
smile_h_32.gif
) and just today I found a like dozens and dozens and dozens of mystery hornworms. I'm going to post the pics in GW to see if anyone can ID them.
I've looked for hummingbird (honeysuckle family) and pandora sphinx (grapes, virginia creeper) caterpillars but no luck.

I worked on a study of wild Maine blueberry pollinators one year and we netted a few species of them.  I asked the boss if I could release them and he said no. That's a part of entomology I hate.

Wow, do they eat in mid-hover too? I've never seen one... it looks very cool.

darn that sucks.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums....14.html
the caterpillars I found today
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wow, do they eat in mid-hover too?
yeah, the darned things (hummingbird moths) never stay still! really hard to take pictures of them.
Although one time I followed one around and it actually landed on a leaf and let me take a couple of pictures. amazing! lol

i love moths and i colect those in the family saturniidea
smile_n_32.gif

So these things are on the east coast and I never see them? Argh.

Great pics as always gecko. By the way, I have some custom photogallery javascript you might be interested in for displaying your pics. It's yours if you want it.

Maybe you can attract them :p I noticed they like verbena "homestead purple".
they also like lantana but they like verbena more.

Its funny this topic should come up. I just saw one of these yesterday.
smile.gif
I knew the minute I saw the topic title that this was what I saw.

Recently I have been going a lot to a park I just discovered and have been taking tons of photos there (with my new camera..yay!!).
biggrin.gif
I tried hard to get a photo of the moth...but he wouln't stay still! I think I got one pic but more than likely its blurry. Its still on my camera. If it comes out ok, I'll post a pic. I have duck, geese, heron, frog, dragonfly, snake, toad and lots of flower pics. I have been trying to ID all the critters I find. I haven't yet gotten pics of the green heron or the cormorant. Both are shy and flighty.

Dang it...my pic didn't come out. I knew it. I was moving to fast so was blurry. But I got some other great pics! Maybe I can post some.

Back