Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oninion: two incredebly stupid scientific projects

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ Sep. 09 2005,2:06)]Oh... I thought this thread was about onions. I like Vidalias.
    HAve you tried baby Vidalias on the BarBQ?? SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OO good!!
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Romans ate onions for dessert, like an apple. It was supposed to be an aphrodesiac. They called them "love apples" (go figure).

As to the topic of dicussion, I would prefer that science concentrate on making a phone that will work longer than a year running. I read a lot of science fiction and creating new biological niches makes me very nervous. All life is at the expense of other life, if something increases something else declines and I would not want it to be yours truly. Look up the definition of "Hubris".

Take the money that would go to make a black hole and give it to the schools that can't afford to have a strings section in orchestra because they can't afford instruments for the kids. Black holes might be interesting, but music is essential.
    "Grow More, Share More"

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oninion? Another great typo on your part, Funch.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Sep. 10 2005,8:25)]Take the money that would go to make a black hole and give it to the schools that can't afford to have a strings section in orchestra because they can't afford instruments for the kids. Black holes might be interesting, but music is essential.
    Better yet, take the money to make a military plane that spends its entire life time rusting unused in a hanger and give that to the schools.

Music is essential but science is too. None of us would be where we are without science.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]The same thing happens with metabolic processes that produce hydrogen as a by-product.
    Ah but see were not talking about natural procesess that produce hydrogen as a byproduct, ere talking about hijacking a DIFFERENT procss tht doesnt naturally do that.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Sep. 07 2005,10:25)]Blah blah yadda yada yada. Ok what am talking about? something that i feel are being pushed a head recklessly with potential for disaterous results.

The next generation of particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider, is hoped to be powerfull enough to produce mini black holes within it.

Hes, you heard right: black holes.

Apparently it would be a stunning and exiting physics discovery and prove that the existence of other dimensions is fact and not just a theory. A exiting prospect, certainly. But what do we do with the black holes?

Well physicist say that if they are produced, that they should last a billionth of a billonth of a second and then evaporate. should. and that probably (hopefully) should be too breif to swallow surrounding matter. probably.

You know, physicists have been wrong before. Even if theyre right, what if two of these mini-black holes collide with each other and merge before they disappear? What then? They say thats "unlikely".

Does anyone else find it a litytle unnerving that we are having the potential of creating black holes in our back yard and that the best we can get is a "most likely" that they will evaporate before they can cause a problem? Well we'll know when its opened next year.

The other one is genetically engineering species of alge to produce hydrogen instead of oxygen as a by product of photosynthesis as a new source of fuel. Does anyone remember the last time a new byproduct was emitted by life-forms from photosynthesis? a little something called oxygen? As i understand it it cause quite a bit of problems for the other life forms about then. What if this gives the alge a edge other oxygen-producing alge in the wild? Why wed be screwed. Alge produces lots of the oxygen we breathe.

So thats my worries. what are some scientific endeavors that worry you?
    Finch, that should be the last of your worries. Only a true pessimist would sit there dying of fear that a black hole, miniscule beyond imagining, will swallow the earth. I am pretty sure the physics is right. It will nevertheless be interesting to watch. And if it does swallow the earth, we would be gone even before we had time to contemplate upon our stupidity, not to mention correct the wronged physics.

Even if that happens, at least I will be safely tucked away in this island raft of singapore. Oh, no, wait...I just remembered I'm going to the US for uni... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Sep. 07 2005,10:25)]The other one is genetically engineering species of alge to produce hydrogen instead of oxygen as a by product of photosynthesis as a new source of fuel. Does anyone remember the last time a new byproduct was emitted by life-forms from photosynthesis? a little something called oxygen? As i understand it it cause quite a bit of problems for the other life forms about then. What if this gives the alge a edge other oxygen-producing alge in the wild? Why wed be screwed. Alge produces lots of the oxygen we breathe.

So thats my worries. what are some scientific endeavors that worry you?
    This may be a little more credible to worry about. Although I don't see how they could gain an edge. If it did, then, well...we'll think about that later.

At first I thought that it was the buildup of hydrogen that you were concerned about. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Sep. 13 2005,9:26)]Ah but see were not talking about natural procesess that produce hydrogen as a byproduct, ere talking about hijacking a DIFFERENT procss tht doesnt naturally do that.
    Are you sure?!?! Creating an entire metebolic pathway from scratch is a pretty daunting process. It isn't like building a better mousetrap, it is like building a whole new machine that spits out a better mousetraps as byproducts. In fact, to the best of my knowledge (and I am in the field of microbiology) no one has ever created an entire new metabolic pathway.

If you have a link to that article on this algae? I'd like to see just how they plan on creating the pathway without using a pre-existing system.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast